collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:40:37 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by itbrvilla
[Today at 09:40:18 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Gareth
[Today at 09:40:00 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 09:38:03 PM]

Diego Carlos by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:23:18 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Drummond
[Today at 09:20:21 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by algy
[Today at 09:18:36 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by AV84
[Today at 09:01:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Marc Albrighton  (Read 14818 times)

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
Re: Marc Albrighton
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2011, 06:50:50 PM »
The next Steven Davis. Full of promise, fizzle out, might do well in Scotland.

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2011, 06:51:25 PM »
I've voted 'honestly don't know'. When he first came into the squad I thought he looked like the real deal and would step up to fill AY's boots, and he's nowhere near that at the moment. I think he's got two problems blocking his development - firstly, AM doesn't seem keen to give him a run of games, either because he doesn't fit into his system or just 'doesn't fancy him'; and his second problem, which may be contributing to the first, for me if anything he seems to be trying too hard. When he came on towards the back end of last season (can't recall the game) he was running round like a headless chicken to no real effect. Bit of a catch 22 situation - he needs a run of games to gain confidence and discipline, but because he's not delivering when he gets the chance he doesn't get the run of games. Really hope he makes it for us but not sure he will and he may end up at the Baggies or Wolves.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2011, 06:57:20 PM »
Not really sure at the moment, but the next few months are pivotal to him.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2011, 07:09:57 PM »
Well he's not playing for the reserves tonight...

Offline AndyB6

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2011, 07:56:19 PM »
I think everyone got way too excited, way too soon. I'm not sure he would even hack it in the Championship. Not quick enough, nor physically strong enough. Makes rash decisions e.g. when tackling players on edge of his own team's area. For a player approaching 22 I think he would be doing it by now if he is truly capable.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2011, 08:12:50 PM »

Having watched that, I'd definitely say that we'd be foolish to give up on him.
His time will come again, so there is no need to panic. 

We also have another winger in Nzogbia who needs to find some form, so I doubt we'll be buying another wide player so in the medium to long term, they should both get a chance.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2011, 09:52:32 PM »
He made an impact at the start of last season and as soon as opposition started paying attention to him he became ineffective.  That has led to lack of confidence that is affecting his basic game. I think he will correct that part of it however it remains to be seen if he can make a consistent impact  in games where he is "taken care of" by the opposition. Evidence  so far shows he can not.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2011, 09:58:27 PM »
His decision making is suspect. Dives in for tackles when he should stay on his feet, shoots when passing would be the better option, tries to take a man on when there is no space etc.

These are things that can improve with coaching and experience so I wouldn't write him off just yet.

This.

I'd add that his ball retention is poor too.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2011, 10:41:47 PM »
Often gets out muscled on the ball and loses possession.  That clip has reminded me of his potential, its just that as a smaller player, maybe its his positional sense that needs to get better to allow him to retain the ball more and get involved in the play.

Offline Lobsterboy

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2011, 11:48:21 PM »
Splinters in my arse through sitting on the fence on this one but I believe there is a very, very good player in there. Just needs to regain his confidence and once he gets a couple of assists/goals under his belt this season I'm sure he'll start to show us what he really can do.

Possibly. Probably. Err, maybe...

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2011, 12:04:12 AM »
When fist in the side he played to his main strength which was crossing the ball at ever opportunity. He put defenders on the back foot because the ball came in fast when their defence hadn't set up. Unfortunately it his one major asset, he doesnt have the pace of Gabby, he doesnt have the trickery to beat a full back, when posters started bigging him up i couldn't see what they were seeing. Gabby is still the best player to come through and over how long has that been? and i am in the minority i know in saying that Bannon has still to prove that he can become a valuable player for us. I think we have so little quality in the side that we see more than is there. Davis is a prime example, player of the year wasn't he? a young kid that we all wanted to succeed but was never good enough.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2011, 12:39:34 AM »
When fist in the side he played to his main strength which was crossing the ball at ever opportunity. He put defenders on the back foot because the ball came in fast when their defence hadn't set up. Unfortunately it his one major asset, he doesnt have the pace of Gabby, he doesnt have the trickery to beat a full back, when posters started bigging him up i couldn't see what they were seeing. Gabby is still the best player to come through and over how long has that been? and i am in the minority i know in saying that Bannon has still to prove that he can become a valuable player for us. I think we have so little quality in the side that we see more than is there. Davis is a prime example, player of the year wasn't he? a young kid that we all wanted to succeed but was never good enough.

I agree to a point that we see things in the younger players that isn't there sometimes.  We also tend to see negative things in the older players we have that isn't there either (eg. Ash).  When you have a bias, I suppose it becomes difficult to build up an accurate perception.  I'd agree that Gabby is currently the most proven player to have come through our academy recently, but as much as can be believed, I think Bannan has something extra.  As others have said though, I'm struggling to get excited, as it seems Fergie is already sniffing round.  I realise that was sort of off the original topic.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2011, 01:07:45 AM »
I think he's a very good player and hopefully he'll come good under AM. Not sure the way we play currently suits him though. He's also been found out to an extent - he's no longer a surprise, but thats normal. Good players will eventually adapt and i'm sure he will
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 01:10:37 AM by Greg N'Ash »

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2011, 01:22:47 AM »
I think he's a very good player and hopefully he'll come good under AM. Not sure the way we play currently suits him though. He's also been found out to an extent - he's no longer a surprise, but thats normal. Good players will eventually adapt and i'm sure he will

Spot on. Some harsh words on here about him.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2011, 09:43:06 AM »
Last year Gabby suffered a tough few months but he came through it.  Hopefully Marc will as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal