collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:35:30 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:35:30 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:35:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:16:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 11:11:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:07:39 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 11:05:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Boring Boring Football  (Read 39550 times)

Offline SteveD

• GM : Aug, 2014
Re: Boring Boring Football
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 01:57:20 PM »
It's the random violence, the organised thuggery, being herded around by police before and after games, the warm sensation of someone else's piss down the back of my leg and having to wait until Sunday lunchtime to see brief highlights on ITV that I really miss.
And of course, football was even better when only Liverpool won everything, apart from one glorious year when some club in the Midlands surprised everyone, including themselves. I'm really bored.

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 02:05:26 PM »
Sadly this is the talk of a wounded tiger. If we were in the mix at the top of the table, with a manager with the funds to play FIFA 12, and use it as a potential shopping list, our complaints about the club, and the sport in general would be more muted.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 03:14:47 PM »
Sadly this is the talk of a wounded tiger. If we were in the mix at the top of the table, with a manager with the funds to play FIFA 12, and use it as a potential shopping list, our complaints about the club, and the sport in general would be more muted.

Although there is of course a lot of truth to that, the issue here is more to do with the governing bodies of the game than it is any particular club.  You can't blame Man City for spending their new found wealth or their fans for enjoying having a great football team, but you can blame the PL, FA and UEFA for not looking after the best interests of the game as a whole. 

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 03:25:45 PM »

Although there is of course a lot of truth to that, the issue here is more to do with the governing bodies of the game than it is any particular club.  You can't blame Man City for spending their new found wealth or their fans for enjoying having a great football team, but you can blame the PL, FA and UEFA for not looking after the best interests of the game as a whole. 
Hit the nail on the head there. 

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 03:47:16 PM »
Spot on John M.
I'm sure there must be fans/supporters of other clubs (everyone outside the top 5) that feel the same way. Unfortunately these are the clubs that will ultimately suffer as attendances dwindle due to lack of interest and everyone having fat chance of winning anything. Those in charge at the FA/UEFA etc have themselves to blame (plus the clubs to a certain extent as they were quick enough to jump into bed with Murdoch).
Don't get me wrong, I love the Villa but when it costs me the best part of £200 to attend a game then I have to pick games carefully (usually ones we have a good chance of winning).
I dont have sky either on principle.
Whoever said "The Premier League is the best/most exciting league in the world" must support one of the top 4.
I rarely watch MOTD either.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 03:56:48 PM by D.boy »

Offline lordmcgrath5

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 03:53:02 PM »
It's the random violence, the organised thuggery, being herded around by police before and after games, the warm sensation of someone else's piss down the back of my leg and having to wait until Sunday lunchtime to see brief highlights on ITV that I really miss.
And of course, football was even better when only Liverpool won everything, apart from one glorious year when some club in the Midlands surprised everyone, including themselves. I'm really bored.

Piss down the leg? Didn't have that on the Holte End in my day (early 80s onwards). Surely that was more of a scouse pastime? As for the violence - never as much as it was made out to be, especially at Villa (apart from matches against the noses). Yes, Liverpool did win an awful lot and often played poorly doing so, but apart from that team from the Midlands there were Forest and Everton coming from nowhere to win the league (as Mr Woodhall pointed out on another thread recently), Southampton (!) managed to clinch runners-up spot in the top flight and the cups were genuinely exciting and competitive. As for waiting till Sunday for highlights - a) not when MOTD was on and b) the dulcet tones of Hugh Johns and extended highlights of the Villa were a joy and well worth waiting for. The very fact that there was so little football on TV meant you really looked forward to it and made a point of watching. With the complete overkill now, lots of people (see above posts) feel less and less bothered about tuning in at all.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 04:02:29 PM »
Forest, Manchester United, Ipswich, Watford, Southampton - the clubs that finished runners-up from 1979-84.

Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester United - Premier League runners-up in the last six seasons.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 04:15:55 PM »
The difference with the cash is that 20 years ago one of about 10 clubs with a decent manager and a couple of good signings could really challenge for the league, 30 years ago that number was probably more like 30 clubs.

Those days are gone forever. We now have the same feeling towards the top of the league as 80-odd other groups of supporters have...

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, 04:45:10 PM »
The real problem isn't Sky or the PL it is the Champions League.

Players naturally want to play at the highest level they can and the bloated nature of the competition means that the clubs in it can tempt all of the best players to join their squads even if they're not guaranteed a start. The money they earn by being a part of the circus makes it difficult for any club to compete and the inevitable consequence of that is what we have seen at Man City as super rich owners use it as their own personal vanity project.

The sad thing is we all want to be part of it and berate our own club for failing to provide the funds to give us a chance of competing.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, 04:50:39 PM »
Fans are realising the uncompetitive nature of PL and are not prepared to part with their  hard earned cash.

So are there threads like this in all the football forums?  What about general Premier League forums with supporters from all sides?

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2011, 04:51:17 PM »

I think we know that the PL, UEFA and FIFA are all just vested interests that, even if half the world football teams disappeared today, as long as they had their dollar bills rolling in, wouldn't give a hoot (look at the FIFA World Cup debacles).

The FA is a left over of a 1970s jobs for the boys club that, even if their hearts were in the right place, know that if they spoke out of line the PL would stomp them into dust.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2011, 04:56:30 PM »
We were also very close to getting in the Champs League but managed to shoot ourselves in the foot... that makes it even harder to take compared to a team that has been bobbing around the lower leagues for years...

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2011, 05:06:58 PM »
What would happens to Villa if we qualify for Champions league 2 or 3 times. It would be interesting but again did it do any good for Newcastle, Blackburn and co.

Offline Mark Samuels

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 05:28:57 PM »
People aren't necessarily wrong to complain about people complaining about football.

But there's a pretty good reason: the sudden change feels a bit like a loss in the family. The period Dave described above might have coincided with our most successful post-War period but the list of runners up also neatly described how competitive football used to be. I used to love looking at who people had bought in pre-season. Now, I just think: "Meh." It's a shame. I can't see how football could ever go back now. Attendances are down but the money in the game, as exemplified by Liverpool's attempt to cream off more TV revenue and foreign chairman trying to scrap relegation.

And I rarely watch MoTD either. I mean, what's the point? Tired format, highlighting the same players from the same clubs every week.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2011, 05:45:11 PM »

This is why I always wonder why Platini gets so much grief.  He has been talking about this problem for years but the mass media here seem to dress his words up as some sort of anti-english agenda whereas I think he has tried more than most (Blatter pah!) to redistribute the wealth and make the game more competitive.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal