collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Boring Boring Football  (Read 39709 times)

Offline DerHammer

Boring Boring Football
« on: October 17, 2011, 12:10:31 PM »
Don't know about you guys but this has been bothering me for some time & the Man City game has bought it the the forefront of my mind.

Basically, with Man City & the like with their millions, there is just no excitement anymore. Each season is just going through the motions & unless everyone has billions to spend it's just going to be more of a formality each year.

If you're still reading this without slitting your wrists then that must mean I'm not the only one getting fed up.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
Re: Boring Boring Football
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 12:15:08 PM »

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 12:19:52 PM »
The facts are that only one team can win the league. Only one can win the Champions League. Just how long are these people going to play this money game? Somebody, somewhere, will bale out and there will be clubs left in the financial mire. Another thing that would help would be the collapse of Sky. It cannot go on forever.

Offline DerHammer

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 12:21:07 PM »
Fair enough, I thought this was a different topic from the post match thread.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 12:23:09 PM »
I've been utterly bored by football this season, too. It's nothing to do with Saturday's result, I've been like this from the kick off of the first match.

It is all just so predictable and unexciting.

I haven't watched MOTD once this season. In fact, I generally turn it over if it comes on.

It's not to do with Villa so much as the sport as a whole.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 12:28:20 PM »
I've seen enough 'fallen out of love with football' posts to last a lifetime.  If you're that disillusioned with the whole thing, then don't bother watching.  Frankly, I don't approve of the money involved, but I still love football, and as I watch quite a lot, still find plenty of excitement in it.  Admitted, that excitement rarely comes from watching the Villa play, but when that does happen, it's all the sweeter.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 12:31:28 PM »
I too am utterly bored by it all.

Sky were going into hyperdrive before the Liverpool game on Saturday - calling it the biggest game in the world and interviewing drinkers in New York. It was all a bit desperate.

It doesn't help that our club is skulking back to obscurity but it seems to be more than that.

Offline DerHammer

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 12:35:05 PM »
I've seen enough 'fallen out of love with football' posts to last a lifetime.  If you're that disillusioned with the whole thing, then don't bother watching.  Frankly, I don't approve of the money involved, but I still love football, and as I watch quite a lot, still find plenty of excitement in it.  Admitted, that excitement rarely comes from watching the Villa play, but when that does happen, it's all the sweeter.

sorry I haven't seen them bigbar.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 12:38:30 PM »
Clearly the long term effect of "sky money hurricane" is settling in. Yesterday Emirates was about 2/3 full. We only took  1700 to Eastlands when normally we are one of the best away support clubs in the PL. Most grounds were not full.
Results are predictable. Big 4/5 turn up they expect to win and they do.
Fans are realising the uncompetitive nature of PL and are not prepared to part with their  hard earned cash.
Sky will prevail and football will survive to some degree as TV spectacle but  it will die as a live  spectator support for the masses within 10 years.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 12:54:45 PM »
Last week I wrote a couple of articles for the forthcoming H+V that touch on exactly this.

Where is the fun in forking out a fortune to watch games you know we will get a pasting in, when we have little chance of any success and where a few clubs hoover up all of the money and talented players?

Fans of most clubs are bored shitless by just making up the numbers.

Online Chris Harte

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 01:12:28 PM »
I love football.

But I hate what football at the top level has become in this country.

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 01:16:26 PM »
Only footage I have seen of us play this season are the goals against Wigan.  I just dont feel motivated or interested anymore.  I saw more games in O'Drearys final season in charge than I have seen in the last 2 years and I was living 160 miles away.  I love Villa and read about the history all the time but whats happening now isn't really football.  Its just shit and everything stinks.   If only we had the German model at every level in this country- it would certainly make it more appealing.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 01:49:33 PM »
The tired of football people never tire of telling others how tired they are of it. I still think it's largely a generational thing and that as blokes get older they miss their youth and the way football was then. I expect I'll be the sane when I grow up. ;-)

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 01:53:27 PM »
I really wish Villa - the club of William McGregor - would lead some kind of uprising, or at least make some kind of statement on behalf of the fans, asking the powers that be to seek a new direction for the game and a levelling of the playing field.  Would anyone listen?  Who knows - but it would be great for the club to give it a go and very apt, too, as we approach the centenary of his death.  Indeed, what better occasion than that centenary for the game to reflect upon where it currently stands?

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 01:53:59 PM »
I have for the first time since I started following football become very bored of it this year. It's the uncompetitive nature of it all, and the fact that essentially Wrexham, Aston Villa, Tranmere, Everton and you can continue to name pretty much every club in the football league with the exception of 3 maybe 4, cannot win the Premier League. So you wonder what is there to strive for? I appreciate in the past it's always been a relatively limited number of clubs who would win the league, but that number has continued to dwindle to not even a handful now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal