collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PaulWinch again
[Today at 08:44:41 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PaulWinch again
[Today at 08:43:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 08:43:13 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by OCD
[Today at 08:41:31 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Gareth
[Today at 08:41:28 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 08:41:23 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 08:41:18 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Chris Harte
[Today at 08:41:00 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Television rights - individual overseas rights deals.  (Read 28693 times)

Online Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Television rights - individual overseas rights deals.
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 12:22:56 AM »
Who are the other 10 that they hope will vote for it? 

They're Liverpool remember, they probably think they deserve 10 votes because they were good at doing backpasses in the 70s and 80s.

If ManU have been upholding the PL deal for this long then it suits them.  Perhaps what has changed is the number of clubs apart from them who could afford to do this.

Maybe this is how a euro Superleague gets started.  If everybody who thinks they have a global following gets individual TV deals then they will have cut themselves off from the rest, effectively because they can.

Might be a bit soon for ManCity but they would have enough money to promote themselves until their audiences pick up.

it would follow that they all play each other to make the most of it.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 12:29:02 AM »
For all the righteous anger, this is no more than we did when the Premier League started. We've no right to be planting our flagpole on Mt Moral.

What if you were against then, and you're against it now?

Indeed. While I've got sympathy for DW's argument, it wasn't 'us', was it, it was Ellis, Sugar et al. We didn't really have a say.

Good point, but there weren't many of us who objected.

No, but then we didn't really know how it would develop.

Sorry, I didn't know how it would develop. But now that I do, I think it's ok to be against it without any residual guilt.

I think the fact that Alan Sugar, Doug and Martin Edwards were in favour was enough to make anyone's mind up.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 12:35:40 AM »
For all the righteous anger, this is no more than we did when the Premier League started. We've no right to be planting our flagpole on Mt Moral.

What if you were against then, and you're against it now?

Indeed. While I've got sympathy for DW's argument, it wasn't 'us', was it, it was Ellis, Sugar et al. We didn't really have a say.

Good point, but there weren't many of us who objected.

No, but then we didn't really know how it would develop.

Sorry, I didn't know how it would develop. But now that I do, I think it's ok to be against it without any residual guilt.

I think the fact that Alan Sugar, Doug and Martin Edwards were in favour was enough to make anyone's mind up.

Yep, fair enough.

I was 14, I did a lot of wanking. It blinded me to many of the evils of the corporate world. And, y'know, the actual world.

Offline Handsworth Wood Villa

• TRS-T
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 12:36:32 AM »
It would require 14 of the Premier League's 20 members to vote in favour of a new commercial arrangement

Good news surely?

Also, if it did happen, where do you think we would come in terms of money received for our overseas TV rights?

7th?

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 12:55:40 AM »
I can't see this getting past the voting stage with the other Prem clubs - unless there is some kind of sweetner for the rest of us.

Personally, I'm hoping they'll all piss off into a Euro super league.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 01:08:21 AM »
I was 10 when the premier league started, and did not have sky till 98 and all I knew was I missed it on normal tv on crap pitches in the winter.

Truth is Liverpool would not have a product to sell to the mass foriegn market without the likes of Bolton agreeing to it, so essentially they are saying they want to just watch us and whoever we play does not matter. In which case feck off, along with City, United, Chelsea and whoever and play in some European league which will fall flat in 5 seasons and then when you beg to come back you can bugger off. Lower prices for the rest, have lower wages at specified amounts, make it sensible and much more appealing than it is now. Football has become an ordeal to me, and things like this, Man City etc are the reason why. Even Rooney, 200k a week, multi, multi millionaire being dumba nd unproffessional enough to kick some serbian annoyed me the other night. Mad world. Bring back muddy pitches, grass stained shirts, long hair and big beards.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 02:01:16 AM »
I wonder if it would only take 14 votes to kick Liverpool out altogether?

Offline luke25

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 02:50:49 AM »
I wonder if it would only take 14 votes to kick Liverpool out altogether?

That gets my vote.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2011, 07:07:24 AM »
This isn't much of an argument is it? "Something bad happened 20 years ago, so we can't complain when something bad could happen again". If this forum had been around then I'm pretty sure there would have been few who'd have been happy to stick it to the clubs excluded from the Premier League.

Offline NeilH

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2011, 07:23:39 AM »
This  just absolutely boils my pi** and speaks volumes about the slow death of football created when the top 22 clubs decided to thumb their noses at the other 70 and create the Premier League. To hear Liverpool decry the inequity of the TV handouts based on the premise that they have more fans than anyone else just speaks volumes for where the priorities lie for the modern football club. One thing is for sure, the priorities for LFC certainly don’t lie in the working class suburbs surrounding Anfield, so perhaps once they’ve negotiated their new TV deal to maximise their revenue from Far East fans, they can then prostitute themselves around the cities of Thailand, Taiwan  et al , as opposed to having to play at the inadequate Anfield to fans who won’t appreciate the ‘product’ as much.... Talking of product, since when did we start talking about football as a product and going to a match as an ‘experience.’ Its these very words, shady owners, spivvy agents, talentless millionaires and the relentless short termism from the new breed of fan that is turning many of us off football.

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2011, 08:03:39 AM »
So if this takes 3 or 4 years to get off the ground, and Man City over take them in the pecking order, Lets say they only make the Europa League. Does that equate to more MANC shirts being sold than liverpool ones. If they fall down the pecking order, will they still be so keen?

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 08:05:36 AM »
I can't see this getting past the voting stage with the other Prem clubs - unless there is some kind of sweetner for the rest of us.

Personally, I'm hoping they'll all piss off into a Euro super league.

I'm with you brother.

UTV
The Doc

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 08:10:56 AM »
It's the first step towards a European League, no question. All these foreign owners, including Lerner I guess, have invested in this, in the hope of getting on the gravy train. It's not about the fans, the clubs, the history of the game in this country - it's about making money.

Let them go and watch the fall out from Liverpool, ManU fans when they're not playing agains teams in this country.

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 08:23:37 AM »
It's the first step towards a European League, no question. All these foreign owners, including Lerner I guess, have invested in this, in the hope of getting on the gravy train. It's not about the fans, the clubs, the history of the game in this country - it's about making money.

Let them go and watch the fall out from Liverpool, ManU fans when they're not playing agains teams in this country.

I don't think that its about making money, I think that its about owners looking for ways to stop losing so much money.

Are there any owners who are actually making enough of a profit to make owning a football team worth all the time and effort.

I don't believe that there are many owners, regardless of their nationality, who are only in this for the money. Ego and prestige definitely, but not money.

Offline Mr Diggles

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2011, 08:39:18 AM »
One thing is for sure, the priorities for LFC certainly don’t lie in the working class suburbs surrounding Anfield

This is absolutely what jumped out at me too (along with the echo of the initial breakaway from the League in '92 and some element of guilt that Villa were a part of that). When theior priorities are in competing in Europe, and satisfying the desire of their fans in the Far East (ie fleecing them dry too), where do the real Liverpool fans, the guys who pay an extortionate amount of money when not earning very much fit into the owner's ideals. It comes down to bare-faced, rank greed.

I hope they do force the debate and they do get their wish. It will only end in disaster, and a less competitive league than the SPL and La Liga. The implosion of modern football is the only way the real fans might get their game back. Although I suspect the sport is already completely lost now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal