collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Randy Lerner interview (pre-AVFC)  (Read 6182 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Randy Lerner interview (pre-AVFC)
« on: October 10, 2011, 08:47:33 PM »
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 07:29:52 AM by Legion »

Offline Irish villain

Re: Randy Lerner interview
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 08:58:14 PM »
I viewed that on you tube recently but it's not loading here. Heady days indeed. It still seems like yesterday but so much has happened since.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 09:06:16 PM »

It would appear loyalty comes with a price.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 10:57:49 PM »

It would appear loyalty comes with a price.

Seems like yesterday, so much positivity - don't chant that anymore.

Randy has lost a lot of weight ... physically speaking.

Online villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 11:04:48 PM »
would love to hear that one again..

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 11:20:39 PM »
He's gonna sell up IMO.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 11:32:30 PM »
He's gonna sell up IMO.

I appreciate that we have achieved relative success since when he bought the club, but I feel we are on a downward spiral now.  Its a bit of a shame seeing those clips and how positive the place was with the money brought in and the 'messiah' in charge.  I do now think that any relationship with the majority of fans that existed has now broken down, and if rumours of a desire to reduce the wage bill even further are true, it doesn't sound like he's got the money to even sustain the wages of a PL club.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 01:56:19 AM »
He's gonna sell up IMO.

You've already said that on another thread so unless you have proof maybe pipe down being the oracle, y'know?

And I thought this was a new Lerner interview, it might have been better to specify that in the thread title Legion.

/grumpy

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 06:37:01 AM »
It's the only one I could find, Eamonn. There is another one from Midlands Today but it was not available when I clicked the link.

Online nigel

Re: Randy Lerner interview (pre-AVFC)
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 09:23:33 AM »
Supporters seem to have such short memories.
I'm convinced that had Doug stayed we'd be where the blues are now. There's no way he'd have forked out £18m on Darren Bent and there's no way he'd have financed MO'Ns 4 seasons.
Only Man City & Chelsea don't have financial worries when it come to transfers. Man U and Liverpool are 'mortgaged' beyond the hilt and if the s**t really hit the fan they could go bust. Sunderland and Stoke are doing a Leeds (look what happened to them) Middlesbro', Portsmouth and blues, to a degree, tried it too and look at them now.
If Randy's getting things in order so he can sell up, that's up to him. He'll attract more buyers if the club is financially sound than if we were millions in debt.
I personally don't think he is though.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 09:50:31 AM »
Villa certainly aren't the only club facing these kinds of difficulties.  I do get the impresssion though, that there is a kind of glee (in the media) at the alienation of the club's management from ther fans.  Maybe it's paranoia.  On the other hand it probably might look kind of amusing to an outsider.  Especially with the Mcleish episode.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 02:29:46 PM »
Supporters seem to have such short memories.
I'm convinced that had Doug stayed we'd be where the blues are now. There's no way he'd have forked out £18m on Darren Bent and there's no way he'd have financed MO'Ns 4 seasons.
Only Man City & Chelsea don't have financial worries when it come to transfers. Man U and Liverpool are 'mortgaged' beyond the hilt and if the s**t really hit the fan they could go bust. Sunderland and Stoke are doing a Leeds (look what happened to them) Middlesbro', Portsmouth and blues, to a degree, tried it too and look at them now.
If Randy's getting things in order so he can sell up, that's up to him. He'll attract more buyers if the club is financially sound than if we were millions in debt.
I personally don't think he is though.

We do owe millions of pounds though, and in actual fact the overall net assets of the company are now less than under the last year of Ellis's ownership. (ie £22m now to £27m then).  All that has really happened under Lerner is that he has borrowed a lot of money from the family trust, which he has then not spent very wisely with the end result that we've made big losses, and don't really have that much better a squad than  when he first arrived.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 02:39:38 PM »
if rumours of a desire to reduce the wage bill even further are true, it doesn't sound like he's got the money to even sustain the wages of a PL club.

Truth of the matter is he shouldn't have to dip into his own pocket to pay the players.  The club needs to be self sustaining.

What he did was invest initially to get revenue to a place where the spending level he bankrolled could be sustained, but through bad luck or bad judgement, and you can take your pick on that one, we didn't get there.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 02:50:09 PM by John M'Zog »

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 04:31:31 PM »
Shame when you think about it. RL did some great things, but after 5 years, are we in a different situation now than we were under Doug i.e. flirting with the top 6, looking for a good cup run?

The cyclical nature of AVFC will be forever with us it seems. A good start to a season, followed by a bad finish or vice versa; a couple of good seasons followed by a poor one, manager goes etc.

You do think if we had qualified for the CL under MON, then the outlay of money would have paid dividends.

Sadly Citeh have shown that, whereas we spent a huge amount of money, you need to spend a massive amount of money to leapfrog your way into the top four.

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 05:52:24 PM »
The money wasn't spend wisely is a big issue. But he trusted a man in charge and gave him money on shite he thought would take us places, unfortunately he didn't realise how inept mon was in transfers. Maybe if he employed a chairman (someone like graham taylor as he is/was at watford) we can still push on. Things seem so negative at AVFC right now from top to bottom

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal