collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa players must live within 30 miles of Bodymoor  (Read 15427 times)

Offline AlwaysAVFC

Re: Villa players must live within 30 miles of Bodymoor
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 12:02:58 AM »
Its a good idea in principle.

Although I would probably realistically give it a 50 mile radius. Until recently i lived 35 miles from where i worked and i know people that travel further. The only difference being i guess footballers can quite easily afford a second home nearby. 50 miles is still less than an hour depending on how far you live from the motorway, maybe 30 miles does keep you within the Villa catchment area a bit more with the idea of living amongst fans.

Then as previously mentioned It cause a problem for existing players that live further away. I could be wrong has Bent recently moved to cambridgeshire?

Offline WA Villan

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 12:22:28 AM »
I dont see it as an issue for new signings the only problem may be when existing players who live outside the 30 miles are offered new deals like Emile for instance if their family are settled 
I don't see a problem either. Although the club should encourage players like Heskey to live outside the 30 mile radius, until their good enough to live by the fans.

Offline philthebar

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 09:48:15 AM »
See no problem in enforcing a 35 mile radius.

If they don't want to move the family, then rent somewhere locally and go home or get the family to visit you, when you can.

I leave home at 05.00 on a Monday morning and get home 22.00 Thursday night, then work from home on Fridays.  If I can do it on my money, then so can they.

Offline rutski

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 09:53:23 AM »
i thought it was totally reasonable for robert pires to have a chauffer driven car for 120 miles every day!

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 11:00:06 AM »
Im not sure its an employers business where an employee lives. As long as they turn up and time and do the job they are paid to do then whats the problem.

That's my view.

Living in London is probably too far away but why the 30 mile radius ?

Players have plenty of time to drive to/from Bodymoor. Its not as if they've got a 10 or 12 hour shift to do when they get there

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 11:10:53 AM »
It's a solidarity thing, backed up by Irish Villain's bad posture argument and I reckon it's a good thing!
The Midlands are (is?) the best place to live anyway: they should be grateful!

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2011, 11:10:53 AM »
It's up to an employer to decide what terms to offer its staff and for staff (in this case players) to negotiate back. I bet it will never be a barrier to signing a player we 'really' want.

Offline Lee

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/BlackCountryVilla/
  • GM : Jul, 2014
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2011, 11:47:10 AM »
I don't see what the issues are to be honest. Alan Wright used to commute and he never gave anything less than 100%.

I work more than 30 Miles away from where I live and I can understand that they don't want people living in Glasgow for example, but a broad time frame if say 90 minutes, would not make much difference in my opinion.

A 30 Mile "limit" seems a bit petty.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2011, 04:22:33 PM »
Steven Ireland is going to have to get an orbiting spaceship several miles above Warwickshire as I doubt his planet falls within the 30 mile limt.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2011, 04:40:43 PM »
It's up to an employer to decide what terms to offer its staff and for staff (in this case players) to negotiate back. I bet it will never be a barrier to signing a player we 'really' want.

Exactly. 

"So Mr Messi, we've agreed on your £300K a week salary and your lucrative image rights.  However, your insistence of living in Uttoxeter, which according to the AA route planner is 30.6 miles away, means that the deal is off.  OFF! "

Who've we got running training these days, Mrs Unsworth?

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2011, 05:52:28 PM »
It's not just about the physical demands, the club are rightly asking "their stars to develop a greater affinity with the club and community".

Offline Mr Diggles

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2011, 06:06:29 PM »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2011, 06:55:28 PM »
It's not just about the physical demands, the club are rightly asking "their stars to develop a greater affinity with the club and community".

30 miles takes in places like Coventry, Sandwell and Wolverhampton.  It's a load of nonsense, and probably against employment law anyway.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2011, 07:00:40 PM »

30 miles takes in places like Coventry, Sandwell and Wolverhampton.  It's a load of nonsense, and probably against employment law anyway.

Bollocks to employment laws, why should certain players be relieved of their civic (club) duties, whether it be visiting kids in hospitals, Acorns, etc just because they prefer to live 100 miles away? Considering how much they're paid, it's not to much to ask them to contribute to the local community on behalf of the club.

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2011, 07:02:33 PM »

How can it be against employment law ??? Its in a contract you are being offered, if you dont like the contract dont sign it. It is not like its being imposed on anyone

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal