collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa players must live within 30 miles of Bodymoor  (Read 15369 times)

Offline spangley1812

Villa players must live within 30 miles of Bodymoor
« on: October 10, 2011, 05:57:26 PM »
taken from Birmingham Mail - please move if already mentioned thanks

FUTURE Aston Villa contracts will contain a mandatory clause stating players must live within a 30-mile radius of Bodymoor Heath training ground.

All new signings and stars agreeing extensions to existing deals will be required to commit to residing in the Midlands.

It follows the board and management’s concerns that long daily commutes could have an adverse effect on the physical well-being of players.

Villa are also keen for their stars to develop a greater affinity with the club and community.

A line has been inserted into the new club rulebook requiring players to live within a comfortable travelling distance of Bodymoor Heath.

Stephen Ireland and Stephen Warnock have recently bought into the new philosophy by moving into properties in the area.

Ireland and Warnock agreed to look for homes in the Midlands after receiving encouraging pep talks from manager Alex McLeish about their importance to Villa.

The duo had preferred to travel from the north west, although it put them on a collision course with Gerard Houllier.

Houllier wanted his players to live within the area, despite giving special dispensation to Robert Pires to be chauffeur driven to training and back from London.

One of the reasons Luke Young was sold to Queens Park Rangers was because of fears his daily journey to and from Wimbledon could take its toll on him.

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
Re: Villa players must live within 30 miles of Bodymoor
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 06:09:39 PM »
I don't see a problem with this. The club are paying these players a hell of a lot of money and if said player has to either get a flat in B'ham or surrounding area then they can easily afford it and still keep their main residence further afield.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 06:21:42 PM by D.boy »

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 06:19:29 PM »
Didn't this use to be a requirement?

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 06:31:07 PM »
I dont see it as an issue for new signings the only problem may be when existing players who live outside the 30 miles are offered new deals like Emile for instance if their family are settled 

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 06:38:51 PM »
Credit where it is due, one of Ged's few good ideas. Shame he undermined it by indulging his  waste of space teacher's pet.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 06:40:59 PM by PercyN'thehood »

Offline woody4866

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 06:48:23 PM »
Why on Earth players want to travel long distances every day for training is beyond me - however flash their cars are?

30 Miles is a reasonable distance and if you are being paid shedloads of dosh its a small thing to ask and quite reasonable IMO

Any player that does not want to do this when their contract is up for renewal, then phuk em (I`m thinking Heskey)

Offline Dan England

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 07:21:43 PM »
The ruling gives a rough ring of Wolverhampton, Kiddie, Warwick, Rugby, Leicester, Derby and Stafford. If you cannot find somewhere nice to live in that ring you really do have problems.

Offline mjlions

• GM : 02.07.2024
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 07:42:52 PM »
Didn't this use to be a requirement?

Surely they couldn't of insisted during O'Neills reign as he didn't

Offline montague

• GM : 13.12.2015
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 08:01:13 PM »
Im not sure its an employers business where an employee lives. As long as they turn up and time and do the job they are paid to do then whats the problem.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 08:44:44 PM »
It does affect players form as merson pointed out in his book

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 08:51:36 PM »
I'm just back from a physio appointment. I've been having a lot of trouble with my left knee for the past few months and it just got worse over the past few weeks. I have not been able to jog or cycle and walking caused me a lot of pain. The knee would sometimes just 'collapse' in on itself as I walked and you can only imagine the agony.

It turns out its not my knee that's the problem. She asked if I  had I done much driving lately? She was able to pinpoint the problem to the fact I spent the whole month of July commuting from my parents house over 70 miles away. This involved a 145 mile round trip each day for about four and a half weeks. The amount of time spent behind the wheel caused problems with my posture and resulted in severe muscle tension in my lower back. However, the problem manifested itself in my knee. I could just about manage the stairs so, as you can imagine, football would have been  quite a challenge.

To make a very long story short, the club have made the right decision. Too much time spent driving can do serious physical damage.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 08:57:42 PM »
Im not sure its an employers business where an employee lives. As long as they turn up and time and do the job they are paid to do then whats the problem.

That's my opinion, too.

The days when players needed to live no more than a stone's throw away from Villa Park because they travelled by tram are long gone.  Today's lot can afford the chauffeur/private plane/large crash pad in Brindley Place for the days when they don't fancy the drive. Ergo I don't think it is an issue if they rather live somewhere other than Four Oaks. 

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 09:26:06 PM »
Anything that adds a modicum of discipline is fine by me.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 09:48:01 PM »
Common sense prevails for once.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 10:26:51 PM »
It's a good idea to make them live within 30 miles of Bodymoor Heath it stops all that travelling back and forth from far away places it will mean more rest time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal