collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 03:03:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 03:02:31 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Gareth
[Today at 03:02:20 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 03:02:08 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by dave.woodhall
[Today at 02:58:42 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by usav
[Today at 02:54:57 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dogtanian
[Today at 02:51:32 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:47:35 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 0% Villa - Chelsea closer to new stadium  (Read 5004 times)

Offline Handsworth Wood Villa

• TRS-T
0% Villa - Chelsea closer to new stadium
« on: October 04, 2011, 06:26:31 PM »
Chelsea are a step closer to building a new stadium after making a bid to buy back parts of Stamford Bridge.

A lot of Chelsea fans on talkSPORT were saying that they don't think they will fill it every game.

Chelsea clearly have a lot of fans overseas on the back of them winning Premier League and competing in the latter stages of the Champions League - 7,312,610 fans on Facebook which is a similar amount to that of Arsenal and Liverpool and we saw the local support they had in Asia on their pre-season tour.

However I'm not sure their fanbase in this country is that much bigger than ours (considering the relative recent success of the two clubs.)

33,820 for a Champions League game is poor for a club competing with the giants of European football.

Spurs are said to have a big season ticket waiting list. Do Chelsea even have a waiting list?

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
Re: 0% Villa - Chelsea closer to new stadium
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 06:29:32 PM »
There was a fan boycott about ticket prices for one of their European games recently I'm sure I read. May have been that one.

Offline pig

• GM : 01.04.2016
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 07:39:14 PM »
There are always signs at fulham broadway from Chelsea FC trying to entice people to buy tickets for Cup games and European Games.

Offline Brian Taylor

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 07:44:15 PM »
Earls Court Exhibition Centre was mentioned as a possible site, around the time Ray Wilkins got the tintack. Not suggesting any connection there whatsoever!

http://www.propertyweek.com/news/news-by-sector/hotels-and-leisure/chelsea-football-club-to-buy-back-stamford-bridge-freehold/5025581.article
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 07:47:10 PM by Brian Taylor »

Offline pig

• GM : 01.04.2016
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 07:51:04 PM »
Earls Court is getting knocked down soon and rebuilt, massive regeneration, and they have spent so much money on the designs and consultation I can't see them ripping up the plans to incorporate Chelsea.

The other option is down by Battersea power station, Nine Elms. Now thats all well and good but its transport links are incredibly restricted. Bar the US embassy moving there, unless they get a tube station I can't see how 60,000 plus are going to be able to get there by public transport.

Still this is years away, they have been talking about Spurs redeveloping for ages and look whats happened to that.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 08:42:41 PM »
They can f off to hell for all I care.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 03:14:29 AM »
They can f off to hell for all I care.

Well said Aftab!

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 06:10:56 AM »
When clubs relocate, quite often they take something iconic from their old ground, e.g. the Clock End clock now at the Emirates.

I think Chelsea should be made to erect Ken Bates's electric fence at any new stadium.  It will be a reminder to all their johnny-come-lately fans where they were less than a generation  ago - and it will be a reminder to everyone else in football just what a classless club, devoid of any significant history, they really are.

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 10:26:36 AM »
Whenever I read about how much it would cost the likes of Chelsea, Everton and Spurs to redevelop it makes me realise how lucky we are to have all that space at the Witton end of the ground - I might be wrong, but I get the impression that to get up to fifty-five/sixty thousand capacity would cost relative peanuts for us.  Regardless of how we are doing at present and our ability to fill the ground on a regular basis, I would love to see us push ahead and redevelop the North Stand. 

Would it be a wise move?  Well, we would show other clubs that we are still up for the fight and are still ambitious.  If we get the infrastructure and facilities right I'm sure such a development could make money, too, regardless of our current attendances.  The key thing is we could get it done well ahead of the likes of Chelsea, Spurs and Everton (and for far less money) thus, potentially, giving us some kind of advantage over them.  Sooner or later we will have to bite the bullet and make a bold decision - especially considering even the likes of West Ham will have a sixty thousand capacity stadium pretty soon.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 10:50:09 AM »
When clubs relocate, quite often they take something iconic from their old ground, e.g. the Clock End clock now at the Emirates.

I think Chelsea should be made to erect Ken Bates's electric fence at any new stadium.  It will be a reminder to all their johnny-come-lately fans where they were less than a generation  ago - and it will be a reminder to everyone else in football just what a classless club, devoid of any significant history, they really are.

Spot on

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 11:40:29 AM »
Earls Court or the site by the Thames makes sense.

I guess that they've thrown White City in as a possibility just to wind up QPR

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 11:51:52 AM »
My mate lives down there and he seems to think that Abramovich has been trying to buy the hospital near the thames for years.  I cannot remember what it is called but i think they hold the chelsea flower show nearby.  Anyway, he was buying it in order to build a new stadium.

Whilst I cannot stand Chelsea, I'm intrigued to see what Abramovich's team build.  It'll make wembley look shabby I reckon.

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 11:58:10 AM »
My mate lives down there and he seems to think that Abramovich has been trying to buy the hospital near the thames for years.  I cannot remember what it is called but i think they hold the chelsea flower show nearby.  Anyway, he was buying it in order to build a new stadium.

Whilst I cannot stand Chelsea, I'm intrigued to see what Abramovich's team build.  It'll make wembley look shabby I reckon.
I hope you don't mean The Royal Hospital home of The Chelsea Pensioners.

Offline richardhubbard

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 12:26:45 PM »
Move them to moscow ? horrible shitty club

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 12:28:14 PM »
Hopefully they'll get a nice site by the Thames.

Or preferably in it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal