collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 10:16:54 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:08:40 PM]

Diego Carlos by KevinGage
[Today at 09:42:35 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:40:37 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Gareth
[Today at 09:40:00 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Drummond
[Today at 09:20:21 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by algy
[Today at 09:18:36 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by AV84
[Today at 09:01:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: A controversial tongue-in-cheek debate; Award points for goals scored.  (Read 10459 times)

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
Re: A controversial tongue-in-cheek debate; Award points for goals scored.
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 12:08:22 PM »
There's a lot wrong with football, but goals aren't it.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 12:13:58 PM »
I have to say the idea of a bit of propper fighting being allowed, not the handbags rubbish we see in football would be great.

I also think bonus points in games awarded for goals scored would be good.

Offline Gaztonniller

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2011, 12:17:30 PM »
How about instead of a single goal being awarded when a goal was scored, we took a leaf from the game of Rugby and awarded points instead. For example,  if a goal was scored during normal play then any goal scored was awarded lets say... 3pts. And if any penalty awarded was scored it was only awarded 1pt.

Taking it seriously for a second If you're comparing it with rugby if there is foul play to stop a team scoring a try then a penalty try is given. So surely as some penalties in football are for the same reason it would mean there would have to be 1 and 3 point penalties? A penalty is such a different thing in rugby to football.Again to be taken with a pinch of salt, you could take the idea of winning and losing bonus points with the idea of making games more attacking but thinking about it it could do the opposite.

Good point made but tbh awarding different points for diferent penalty claims/situations may make things more complicated for the ref and the game. I'd be tempted to retain the old tried and trusted method of the ref  using his powers to punish by sending off/booking the offender

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 12:27:06 PM »
I have to say the idea of a bit of propper fighting being allowed, not the handbags rubbish we see in football would be great.

Why on the goals? Yes it might mean teams might not try to park the bus in some matches, but it mosty will mean Manure and Citeh will be even further ahead in the table then they are now and there will be more advantage when the ref sends a man off or a key player is injured during or before a match.

The only rules I would look at is the sin bin, refs miked up to explain their decisions as they make them, (although it might get embarrassing for them when they pick up them calling players Stevie and Wayno and such,) and maybe even temp blood substitutions type thing.

Offline Gaztonniller

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 12:28:41 PM »
Something football should take from rugby is stopping the clock when there's an injury or substitution. Would put an end to the dispute over time added on

I agree and dont know why they dont do it. Probably due to the old idea of wanting all games to kick off at the same times, and getting results in at the same time for the old video printer system.

Offline Gaztonniller

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2011, 12:34:23 PM »
If you were 2 points up with 5 minutes remaining, You would rugby tackle anyone about to take a shot in the knowledge that they could only score 1 point from the penalty

Not much diference to now, where its 0-0 and a player breaks through and is baring down on goal. Defender can still rugby tackle him to prevent a winner. It wouldnt be a cure-all for cheating on the pitch, but may reduce those cheap penalty claim incidences.

Offline Gaztonniller

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2011, 12:51:59 PM »

Why on the goals? Yes it might mean teams might not try to park the bus in some matches, but it mosty will mean Manure and Citeh will be even further ahead in the table then they are now and there will be more advantage when the ref sends a man off or a key player is injured during or before a match.

The only rules I would look at is the sin bin, refs miked up to explain their decisions as they make them, (although it might get embarrassing for them when they pick up them calling players Stevie and Wayno and such,) and maybe even temp blood substitutions type thing.

Agree with that.  Stick with the same 3pts for a basic win,  & 1 pts for a draw system as we have now.
The only difference with this new approach would be we'd be counting the points received from each goals scored during a match. 
Eg instead of Villa 2-0 Wigan, the result would now read Villa 6 - 0 Wigan as each goal scored in open play, during this match would be counted as 3 pts instead just two goals ( if that makes sense).
Any penalties scored would just be awarded 1pt. Ultimately what ever the result at the end of play could be Villa 10pts - 0 pts Wigan, Villa would still be awarded  the basic three points for winning the match.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 12:54:42 PM by Gaztonniller »

Offline wombat

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2011, 01:34:02 PM »

I'd take this further and allow one team to have a nominated 'reducer' who is allowed a free foul on the opposition's 'annoying show pony', both have to be nominated pre-match. So for example Collins,J could be the reducer and Nani the 'annoying show pony'. The conundrum is does Collins clean him up earlier does thus eliminating the annoying twat from the match or wait for the goal scoring chance and nail him then! Mind games could ensue as Collins could just chase the odious shyte around for 90 minutes making him pap his gold lace undercrackers at the prospect of having his legs broke!

A nice little sideline to the main game I reckon

(obviously this is very tongue in cheek!)

Online nigel

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 02:15:01 PM »
Just saw the an Italian rugby player this morning indulging in a little eye-gouging on his Irish opponent.

As usual it went unpunished by the referee.

But that's ok because they all call the referee "Sir".

We have nothing to learn from this nasty game.
Things are missed in rugby, however players can be cited after the game.
Rugby is a full contact sport and it's difficult for the referee at times. I didn't see that game so I can't fully comment.
This is one introduction I would welcome into football, though.
Obviously, the result can't be changed, but, if after the game a player is cited for, let's say, diving he should be awarded a yellow card

Online nigel

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2011, 02:23:15 PM »
There are plenty of ideas that would benefit football.
Arguing with the referee, yellow card and free kick taken 10m forward.
Sin bin
Advantage rule, in football the ref waves advantage and we lose the ball within 2 passes. In rugby play is bought back for the origonal foul.

Offline spookyshaw

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2011, 03:22:16 PM »
I don't personally like that idea, however a bonus point win for victories in which a team scores 4+ goals would be interesting.

It would certainly discourage sides from shutting up shop  for the last ten minutes or so like we see so often.

Offline KRS

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2011, 06:16:30 PM »
The simplest and best way to put a stop to cheating and diving without changing the beautiful game too much, would be to implement camera technology during the game and enforce stronger punishments for any cheating after the match (fines and bans). A player will think twice about diving if he's about to lose a months wage and banned for 3 games.

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2011, 07:36:57 PM »
I'd prefer it if we just got rid of rugby. 

Offline philthebar

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2011, 01:42:43 PM »
Leave the points allocation as is.

With regard to diving (sorry, should I call that simulation), dissent or whatever, the Laws are there already.  Just send them off.  They will soon stop.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2011, 02:25:15 PM »
Wombat, you've just made me spit coffee all over my keyboard and the office wonder what the fuck I'm doing!!

We can take plenty from rugby at many levels - respect for the ref from all involved being the main one.  I've  played both and coached my son in both sports, and the attitude of all involved at either game is streets apart.  It's no sprupise there's no respect in professional football when many parents at grass roots levels behave the way they do.

Anyway, I'd take the ref mikes, sin bin and ten metre rules for dissent, as well as a bonus point for four goals. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal