collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What makes a Villa Legend?  (Read 18286 times)

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
What makes a Villa Legend?
« on: October 01, 2011, 08:06:25 PM »
After Gabby's great display today and his exclellent attitude all season I got to thinking "is he a Villa Legend yet"?
This set me off thinking what makes a Legend at this club?
God? Superb player up against the odds with a touch of naughtiness
Sid? Sublime skill; always trying; returned to us and did well
Withey? Iconic centre-forward who gave his all and scored "that goal" (but played down the road!)
Tayls? Just one of us (still is) who was honest and tried and tried for the cause

What makes a Legend for you and is Gabby there yet?

Offline Witton Warrior

Re: What makes a Villa Legend?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 08:07:21 PM »
I should say - he is for me!

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 08:07:49 PM »
A legend is a player who cares for the club.  A player who achieves individually and as part of a winning team.  He's almost there for me.  All that's missing is a cup or two.

Offline Witton Warrior

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 08:12:30 PM »
A legend is a player who cares for the club.  A player who achieves individually and as part of a winning team.  He's almost there for me.  All that's missing is a cup or two.

I wondered if part of it was having to be part a winning team. Also considered longevity but looking back at Barry I soon dismissed it...

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 08:15:14 PM »
Villa legends (for me anyway)  in the last 5 years or so:

- Martin Laursen
- Olof Mellberg
- Juan Puablo Angel
- Gareth Barry (boo)
- Gabby Agbonlahor
- Brad Friedel
- Stiliyan Petrov

For me, it's players who are both greatly talented, and clearly care a lot for the club. I know there is probably slight controversy over Gareth Barry, but for me he did so much for the club it's hard to exclude him, despite the manner of his departure.

Offline luke25

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 08:17:31 PM »
This is why Ian Taylor is my all time favourite player and a total legend to me.

Offline luke25

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
This is why Ian Taylor is my all time favourite player and a total legend to me.

Offline Witton Warrior

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 08:23:11 PM »
Thinking on it Gabby would be a Legend even if he was never part of a cup-winning team for me.
He has come through some pretty torrid times (the infamous "not being booed when subbed" incident for example) and has produced time and time again - his exploits against Small Heath just add to this...

Offline Damo70

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 08:25:40 PM »
Drink lots, don't train, be as good in your position as anyone else in the world.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 08:29:18 PM »
Thinking on it Gabby would be a Legend even if he was never part of a cup-winning team for me.
He has come through some pretty torrid times (the infamous "not being booed when subbed" incident for example) and has produced time and time again - his exploits against Small Heath just add to this...

I think Gabby suffers from the dad coaching the team syndrome.  You know, your dad is harder on you when you're below par and is your biggest fan all in one.  He is awesome on his day, today being one of those days and has been very good all season so far.     

Offline luke25

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 08:30:36 PM »
Gabby is the epitome of a big game player, time and time again he's done it in our biggest games of the season's and now when were in a bit of transition he's been the guy thats lead by example, I wonder if he'll ever captain us? Fair enough he's not the brightest off the pitch but on the pitch he has a decent footballing brain, his name never crops up when were discussing potential captains though.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 08:32:40 PM »
For me it would have to be a few of the lads from the early eighties squad, probably being a tad biest there as one is a personal friend and know another through him,

Ian Taylor, solid.
Tony Morely, at times brilliant
Paul McGrath, A Natural Commander, a real lion
Gary Shaw, another player who had he realised his full potential  would have been World Class IMO.

Of all those players with the exception of McGrath they all passed on and became legends over time.

Gabby Agbonlahor freakin legendary right now, but lets face it there have been a good few really wonderfully talented players slip through the clubs fingers.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 08:38:25 PM »
Gabby is the epitome of a big game player, time and time again he's done it in our biggest games of the season's and now when were in a bit of transition he's been the guy thats lead by example, I wonder if he'll ever captain us? Fair enough he's not the brightest off the pitch but on the pitch he has a decent footballing brain, his name never crops up when were discussing potential captains though.

Such a good post this, I feel where Gabby is concerned when he takes to the pitch we are in the presence of a real potentially world class of a player, when I look at Gabby I get the same buzz when he has the ball that i get when i look at Messi or Ronaldo or Rooney, not saying for one minute he's in that class, but you feel something might happen explosive if he has a mind to.

Offline Gaztonniller

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 09:43:46 PM »
After Gabby's great display today and his exclellent attitude all season I got to thinking "is he a Villa Legend yet"?
This set me off thinking what makes a Legend at this club?
God? Superb player up against the odds with a touch of naughtiness
Sid? Sublime skill; always trying; returned to us and did well
Withey? Iconic centre-forward who gave his all and scored "that goal" (but played down the road!)
Tayls? Just one of us (still is) who was honest and tried and tried for the cause

What makes a Legend for you and is Gabby there yet?

Scoring a winning goal in the European Cup final or todays equivalent will help.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2011, 10:02:02 PM »
every player involved in winning the league title and european cup is a legend
After that Mcgrath Laursen Melberg Daley then I struggle lots of greats Yorke and Barry would be there but they left leaving a bad taste in the mouth.
 Gabby could reach legend status.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal