collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 04:18:44 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by rob_bridge
[Today at 04:17:39 PM]

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped by Nev
[Today at 04:15:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 04:13:03 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 04:10:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 04:02:39 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 03:59:31 PM]

Re: Leander Dendoncker - On Loan at Napoli by eamonn
[Today at 03:55:45 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Formation Dilemma  (Read 14188 times)

Online villadelph

• @villadelph
Re: Formation Dilemma
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2011, 10:28:57 PM »
Which is why Bannan would probably see more ball playing deeper with the defence told to give it to him to playmake, a little like Xavi, but obviously not on that level. Heskey in the side helps us retain the ball too, which is a bit of a dilemma.

I agree with you in terms of Heskey. He's like a backwards compliment to our side, and has attributes that can help us control the ball and actually retain possession. But Bannan deep kind of scares me, in front of the back four I'd be nervous of his defensive prowess. Though, I hope he can evolve into our medium as far as possession from the back to front.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2011, 10:36:21 PM »
We played 442 against Necastle, that should have been enough to convince everyone that it doesn't suit us. I think we need to wait to see what impact Jenas has when he's fit, he's a different player to anything we currently have.
I agree we dont have the players to play 4-4-2. Maybe Jenas is the missink link, its worth a go.. What was interesting yesterday Delph and Petrov sat deep and waited for thier midfielders to come forward. I guess this is tactical

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2011, 10:42:10 PM »
We played 442 against Necastle, that should have been enough to convince everyone that it doesn't suit us. I think we need to wait to see what impact Jenas has when he's fit, he's a different player to anything we currently have.
I agree we dont have the players to play 4-4-2. Maybe Jenas is the missink link, its worth a go.. What was interesting yesterday Delph and Petrov sat deep and waited for thier midfielders to come forward. I guess this is tactical

They may have done, but Delph was caught wrong side a number of times first half. Positionally to be deep lying you don't actually have to be great in the tackle if you can position yourself in the right place. Delph is young and lacks the knowledge or discipline at the moment in there for me. Sometimes a young player has that, but it is rare.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2011, 09:08:55 AM »
Out of the three strikers we have possibly Heskey is the most adept at holding the ball up and that says a lot.

It just seems to ping off Bent most of the time and Gabby's not that much better

Offline Merv

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2011, 09:31:29 AM »
Whatever we play, we need three midfielders, either in a flat three (Jenas-Petrov-Delph could work) or a triangle, which would be my preference; I'd choose between a more defensive shape (Clark at the base, with two - Jenas and Delph - further forward) or a more attacking one, with Jenas and Delph slightly behind a playmaker at the point (Bannan). Whenever Bannan plays, he absolutely has to be in a central role where he can be fed the ball and link play. Not in a wide role, right or left.

Can't see us using 4-4-2 anymore. We have the ideal players for 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 or 4-5-1, we just haven't found the right mix yet.

Online villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2011, 05:22:53 PM »
Granted it was Wigan, but we've seemed to stumble upon something that works. I'm interested to see how we come out against citeh.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2011, 05:32:44 PM »
Granted it was Wigan, but we've seemed to stumble upon something that works. I'm interested to see how we come out against citeh.

What was the formation Villadelph?

Online villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2011, 05:39:34 PM »

What was the formation villadelph?

It was shown pre-game as a 4-3-3, but obviously it wasn't that simple. It kind of looked like there was a diamond in the midfield at times, but our pressure up front was great. Bent, Gabby and Ireland all getting forward, with Delph, Petrov and Bannan sitting behind them. Bannan was a genius today.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2011, 06:00:05 PM »
We can forget about Jenas for the next four weeks, he's done his achilles according to AM.

Offline Archie

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2011, 06:30:16 PM »
I think that we don't play 4-5-1 but, more properly, 4-2-3-1 as the two CM play behind the line formed by the wingers and Barry Bannan.
So said, as our style of play is effective but quite boring, I'd try to return to the good old 4-4-2 with one attacking CM, one defensive, two  wingers, and two strikers.

For instance:

Given
Herd - Clarke - great question mark - Warnock
Albrighton - Petrov (Delph) - Bannan - N'Zogbia
Bent - Agbonlahor

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2011, 07:04:34 PM »
I think that we don't play 4-5-1 but, more properly, 4-2-3-1 as the two CM play behind the line formed by the wingers and Barry Bannan.
So said, as our style of play is effective but quite boring, I'd try to return to the good old 4-4-2 with one attacking CM, one defensive, two  wingers, and two strikers.

For instance:

Given
Bent - Agbonlahor

It'd be exciting, I'll give you that.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2011, 07:11:44 PM »
I like the current set up. It's probably the only way we can accommodate Ireland, Bannan and two strikers in the same team without ending up being too powder puff.

The changes I'd think about making are more related to personnel. I'd think about bringing someone in for Hutton at right back (I'd think about Beye as I think Herd might deserve a run out in midfield) and someone into midfield (probably Herd) to take Delph out of the firing line.     

Offline Villanation

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2011, 07:27:38 PM »
Today was only Wigan, we all knew a win was on the cards, I had us down for more that 2 TBH, I still think we lack horribly in the midfield area's, the thing is we play our first real test next, what must be deemed a quality side, today was brilliant and enjoyable because i thought it would be a forgone conclusion, thought at times we made hard work of it, next will be Man City and they have more than enough to keep Gabby quiet, its then we will see how cohesive our playing style and formation really is.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2011, 08:58:28 PM »
Today was only Wigan, we all knew a win was on the cards, I had us down for more that 2 TBH, I still think we lack horribly in the midfield area's, the thing is we play our first real test next, what must be deemed a quality side, today was brilliant and enjoyable because i thought it would be a forgone conclusion, thought at times we made hard work of it, next will be Man City and they have more than enough to keep Gabby quiet, its then we will see how cohesive our playing style and formation really is.

Today was very narrow.

Fair play to AM, he's seen us get overrun through the midfield by the likes of Newcastle so he stuck four in the middle and did without wingers.  And it worked to a point although there were still too many long balls punted from the back.

However, try that formation against a decent side and they will absolutely destroy us down the flanks.  There were quite a few times today Hutton was left with two because he didn't have a winger in front of him, which was fine because Wigan were crap.  Give Man City that luxury and it could be a cricket score.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2011, 09:04:28 PM »

For instance:

Given
Bent - Agbonlahor

Archie, regarding the "great question mark", how about Richard Dunne?

(runs to the hills)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal