collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Mcleish - 'I Accepted the challenge'  (Read 52334 times)

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
Re: Mcleish - 'I Accepted the challenge'
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2011, 02:53:35 PM »
I can see it from both sides. Obviously, the challenge is to work under an owner who is slamming on the spending brakes in a way which puts George Osbourne to shame. As Chris saud, losing Downing and Young is not an excuse, it is a symptom of the new financial reality.

And to think we thought we might get Ancelottii or Benitez!

The other side i can see too - it isn't much of a big decision when your managerial reputation is looking buggered, you've just been relegated for the second time in four years, you're facing working in the championship for an owner who is flirting with jail, and someone offers you a job at a much bigger club for much bigger money. You don't even have to move house.

The sad thing in all this is that the club has come to this after five years. I also think those who think we are takng a breather before having another go at it are misguided. They've made it pretty clear that this s the new reality, live within our means. Like Everton. I suspect we'll enjoy I about as much as Everton fans do, too.

As ever your view is pretty much the same as mine. I in particular agree strongly with the last paragraph.

Offline nigel

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2011, 02:56:48 PM »
McLeish just isn't going to be given a chance by some of you is he? Every day we see these sniping little threads. There's nothing wrong with his comments but some of you justc an't resist taking the opportunity to get a few digs in.
Totally agree Chris,
If we'd have made this start under any other manager it wouldn't be a problem.

Offline nigel

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2011, 03:02:50 PM »
I make no apology for wanting the best possible candidate to bring success to my club - it is a shame as will be proved over time and once again that Alex McLeish is not that candidate.
If you actually got behind the bloke and supported him he just might prove all you doubters wrong.
You have your opinion, kippax, and I respect it, but, AMcL is our manager now and deserves to be supported in his role.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2011, 03:09:05 PM »
i reckon 95% of managers in the footbal league would have accepted the Villa job,
 i dont agree with all this no one wanted to come, there were one or two high profile managers who didnt fancy the financial constraints, fair enough, but to say we were desperate and the only chap willing to take us on was Mcliesh is rubbish.

then there was Martinez,
 i really wanted him, he turned us down, i still dont think we know truly what happened there,
 i get the feeling that he didnt think we were so serious, he might have though we were just canvessing to interview him along with others, and maybe didnt think he would get the chance in the end, i dont know, but he is working within worse constraints at Wigan,
 either way Dave Whelan played a blinder, backed everyone into a very public corner and we didnt get the our man.
i personaly believe, that if we had met him secretly and offered Martinez the job, not just an interview for the job, he would have come to us,
 i also think he might well regret the decision he made, especially when he saw Mcliesh turning up and maybe realised he could have had the job, but i'm only summising, i have no ITK just my own imagination !

but we could have had the pick of many managers if Mcliesh was the bench mark,
 if Plymouth can get a manager in Peter Ried [now sacked] who lets face it would be on par with Mcliesh, then we would have no trouble,
 obviously the board did struggled to land a top class manager, so we panicked and went for Mcliesh, i dont think we had to, but they have made there decision now, i think they got it wrong, but i certainly dont believe he was the only one willing to take up the challenge

And Alex McLeish would come high up on that 95% list. Can't believe you've just compared Peter Reid to McLeish. Remind me again, what has Peter Reid won? He did a shit job at Plymouth (and every other club he's managed) but just because he contributed money to them (fair play to him), doesn't make him any good. As far as I'm aware, McLeish has won trophies at his last two clubs.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2011, 03:13:21 PM »
And nearly achieved the minor miracle of getting Scotland to a major tournament.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2011, 03:19:43 PM »
That is not what I said Chris.   We all know Randy Lerner to be a very private person.   There was no evidence whatsoever that contacts (if any) there had been with Hughes, FSW, Martinez, Jol or Moyes.   All we know is that we had suffered the humiliation of being rejected for reason or reasons unknown.   As soon as Randy Lerner got in his plane and flew to Corsica it was quite clear that the owner was going to cut through the crap and get a manager.

In a well run business he would not have had to do that.   That is my opinion.

As for wanting McLeish to fail that is a total fabrication by his cheer leaders.   I do not think he will fail because his job description is pitched so low.   He will save us from relegation as the megabucks contacts unwind and we will achieve financial sustainability.   I believe that is what he has been hired to do and he will do it.   Randy Lerner sees the gathering hurricane heading for Wall Street and wants the hatches battening down.   It's his club so he does what he wants.

I only have a lifetime invested in the club and I want the future to be Barry Bannan not Emile Heskey and if we are to scrap it out at the bottom of the Premiership I would sooner see us running and passing and chasing with youth and ambition than hoofing our way into the Championship.

Offline Iago

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2011, 03:22:06 PM »
McLeish is lucky to have another job in the Premiership, especially at a club this size.

I see the excuses have already begun with AM.
A quote from an earlier post by Chris Smith:
"Losing Young and Downing isn't an excuse, it's a reason. They were our two best players and we're now having to find a way to do without them, that takes time."
I can't recall him making any excuse either since he took the job.
So what excuses are you on about?
McLeish alludes to the wage bill, once again, after a defeat against Bolton.

I do not want to hear about the wage bill every week; I am more concerned with the product on the pitch and so should the manager of our great club.  We need to do better or more fans will stay away from VP.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2011, 03:25:57 PM »
McLeish just isn't going to be given a chance by some of you is he? Every day we see these sniping little threads. There's nothing wrong with his comments but some of you justc an't resist taking the opportunity to get a few digs in.

You're so disappointed by these threads, you throw in terms like "sniping" and "get a few digs in" plus a classic "some of you.." line, all guaranteed to keep the argument going.

You love it, Chris.

*wink*

Offline Compass

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2011, 03:44:50 PM »
It's no challenge compared to what Moyes has done for the last few years. Even Pardew is doing a good job atm despite losing so many best players this year.

The best we can hope for under McLeish is staying in the Premier League. 17th would seem accomplishment in his eyes no doubt and probably the board's as well because it's another season where they can get their greedy hands on the Premier League money.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2011, 03:57:08 PM »
Totally agree Chris,

Really? 

Playing unfathomably shite, negative football against very average teams, then handed a footballing lesson by Bolton reserves wouldn't have been a problem?

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2011, 04:16:41 PM »
Have I misunderstood something?

I think Mcleish means not many would have accepted the challenge of moving to your current clubs most bitter rivals especially with both clubs in utter turmoil.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2011, 04:23:17 PM »
I can see it from both sides. Obviously, the challenge is to work under an owner who is slamming on the spending brakes in a way which puts George Osbourne to shame. As Chris saud, losing Downing and Young is not an excuse, it is a symptom of the new financial reality.

And to think we thought we might get Ancelottii or Benitez!

The other side i can see too - it isn't much of a big decision when your managerial reputation is looking buggered, you've just been relegated for the second time in four years, you're facing working in the championship for an owner who is flirting with jail, and someone offers you a job at a much bigger club for much bigger money. You don't even have to move house.

The sad thing in all this is that the club has come to this after five years. I also think those who think we are takng a breather before having another go at it are misguided. They've made it pretty clear that this s the new reality, live within our means. Like Everton. I suspect we'll enjoy I about as much as Everton fans do, too.
Fair cop, Paulie.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2011, 04:29:57 PM »
Totally agree Chris,

Really? 

Playing unfathomably shite, negative football against very average teams, then handed a footballing lesson by Bolton reserves wouldn't have been a problem?

Unfathomably shite, negative football - seriously?

Why is everything exaggerated so wildly these days? Why the need for such melodramatic language?

This is what often happens when a new manager comes in. He doesn't know the players, they don't know him so there is a period of readjustment. On top of that we have lost the best two players who were the core of the team last season.

Online cdward

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2011, 04:36:21 PM »
they didn't tap AM up
eh? so Villa just decided to gift Blues a couple of million.

McLeish will not fail, because the ambition has been set so low. In the chairmans eyes he is already a success, for cutting the wage bill, and playing staff.

Offline Brian Taylor

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2011, 04:46:54 PM »
they didn't tap AM up
eh? so Villa just decided to gift Blues a couple of million.

McLeish will not fail, because the ambition has been set so low. In the chairmans eyes he is already a success, for cutting the wage bill, and playing staff.

Bang on! We have the 'reduced for quick sale' sign out!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal