collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Radio 4 now Mr Kennedy wistfully talking about Aston Villa History  (Read 8099 times)

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
Re: Radio 4 now Mr Kennedy wistfully talking about Aston Villa History
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 04:26:43 PM »
I genuinly don't like his style of violin playing and his opinion, alluded to on Radio 4 this morning that if you don't like my style of play you are a snob.  If anything I find him to be a inverted snob.

There's a big difference between saying you don't like his style of playing and his playing not being up to scratch.

There's a significant part of the classical scene that don't like anything Kennedy does because he refuses to play the game the way they think it should be played, though I'm not saying you are as I know nothing about you. He's no Oistrakh, but he's a long way from the identikit oriental robotic wunderkids who are technically superior but with the souls and personalities of housebricks.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 04:32:45 PM »
Spoke to him for a while in Hamburg. About the city we were both in at the time and Poland. Smashing bloke, as Butch Wilkins might say.

I've never seen Prince William, Tom Hanks or Mrs Doyle in the cheap seats, but when they grace us with their presence and chat to the plebs, I might warm to them.  A little.

Offline philthebar

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 05:21:03 PM »
I genuinly don't like his style of violin playing and his opinion, alluded to on Radio 4 this morning that if you don't like my style of play you are a snob.  If anything I find him to be a inverted snob.

There's a big difference between saying you don't like his style of playing and his playing not being up to scratch.

There's a significant part of the classical scene that don't like anything Kennedy does because he refuses to play the game the way they think it should be played, though I'm not saying you are as I know nothing about you. He's no Oistrakh, but he's a long way from the identikit oriental robotic wunderkids who are technically superior but with the souls and personalities of housebricks.

Agreed - each to their own. But it's his inverted snobbery I don't like. 

As for the Oriental robotic wunderkids, I'm with you on that too.

The 'up to scratch' bit was meant as a bit of a joke.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 05:47:21 PM »
Anyone also hear Charlie Aitken on R4 this morning talking about his time at New York Cosmos? On with Tom Watt...

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2011, 07:17:10 PM »
Why isn't he a great bloke? Genuine question

I knew of him and went to a few of his concerts before he came out as a Villa fan.  I genuinly don't like his style of violin playing and his opinion, alluded to on Radio 4 this morning that if you don't like my style of play you are a snob.  If anything I find him to be a inverted snob.

I too have met him face to face a few times, and once side by side in a toilet at West Ham and yes, he's fine, but I stick to my original statement, just because he is a Villa supporter does not make him a great bloke.  I know many Villa supporters who are absolute tossers (me included at times)

I have given my reasons, so I now throw the question back, why do you say he is a great bloke?

i suppose you just make quick judgements about people, you cant know every one really really well, so you just go with your instincs and what you can see and hear and make your mind up.

from what i've seen of him and heard others say, i would say he's a great bloke, but i havent sat down with him for a couple of hours and had a big chat
then again i dont need to have had sex with Cheryl Cole to know that i would probably like it

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2011, 07:19:32 PM »
I've met him numerous times. He gets his H&V fanzine from me when he comes to VP. Always ready to chat. Very civil. He's given unwanted tickets over to be passed on for free numerous times.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2011, 08:54:30 PM »
He is a genuine good bloke and a genuine Villa fan, I profess that I know fuck all about violin playing but he seems to be doing okay out of it.
I once spent a whole match talking about The Fall with his (ex?) missus Brix Smith in The Holte End.

Offline Withe Gusto

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2011, 09:16:25 PM »
Anyone also hear Charlie Aitken on R4 this morning talking about his time at New York Cosmos? On with Tom Watt...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9599000/9599084.stm

Online The Moose

• GM : 03.08.2016
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2011, 10:19:15 PM »
Quick judgment - great bloke.

Musical talent - genius.

If you don't agree - tough.

Offline philsheard

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2011, 11:28:55 PM »
i remember him pissed as a fart underneath the Anfield Road stand grinning like a big kid whilst the rest of the villa fans sang "nigel give us a song, nigel, nigel give us a song". He duly obliged each and every time he was asked during half time.

Offline wozwebs

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2011, 11:31:09 PM »
He sat in our row in the Holte End Upper Tier for fair few seasons, row 26. Always arrived 10 minutes after the game had started and usually with his misses and a mate (had 3 seats together). One game a big black dude with a pork pie hat (not a hat made of pork pie before anyone says it) came with him and was clearly as 'high' as the seats he was sitting in. Always friendly, sang all the songs and you can tell he genuinely loves the club.

Can't see why anyone would have a bad word to say against him TBH.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2011, 11:56:04 PM »
Never met him, but I get the impression that were I ever stuck in a lift with him, we'd be able to have a good chat about all things Villa.  I can't say that about of some of our other so-called celebrity fans.

Musically I can't say where he stands: I'm the sort of person who is impressed when an eight-year old is able to get a few consecutive notes out of a recorder!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal