collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Luke Slams Gerard  (Read 14813 times)

Offline Rancid custard

Re: Luke Slams Gerard
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2011, 08:49:31 AM »
Just like any job, you should work to the absolute best standard that you can everyday, regardless of who's in charge. That's professionalism in the real world that seems somewhat lacking with Premier league footballers. If one of my boys isn't performing at work we talk about it and sort it and move on and they probably have a quick grumble about it behind closed doors. It would seem that most footballers would prefer to conduct their affairs of business through the media to rally support and sympathy to their plights of hardship.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2011, 09:29:32 AM »
How many players actually enjoyed playing under Houllier ?

I'd stab a guess at 2 only - Albrighton and Bannan, cos they were allowed to play 1st team football.

I agree that he should just get on with his game mind (Young).

Offline supertom

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2011, 09:30:03 AM »
These players need to stop moaning so much. Basically what their saying is, Houllier gave them orders. They're paid 50k a week to do what the manager says. Never mind the fact he was inept, the players didn't like having to work harder. Plain and simple.

It'll be interesting to see what they say about McLeish after he's been booted out.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2011, 09:54:53 AM »
The manager is employed to get the best out of the players he manages. If his methods don't do that then he isn't doing the best he can. GH might have had decent ideas of how the game should be played but did not have the ability to inspire and motivate, just the opposite in fact.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2011, 10:05:31 AM »
This is what happens when you pay the workforce more than the manager - other than in sales (where pay is based upon performance - performance related pay if you will) what other industry pays the the gaffer less than "his staff/team"

No wonder there is no respect - they get paid £50k per week no matter how they perform..... still its a short career and all that sh**

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2011, 10:15:38 AM »
This is what happens when you pay the workforce more than the manager - other than in sales (where pay is based upon performance - performance related pay if you will) what other industry pays the the gaffer less than "his staff/team"

No wonder there is no respect - they get paid £50k per week no matter how they perform..... still its a short career and all that sh**

Respect is an interesting concept. What respect for Aston Villa did GH show at Anfield last season?

In most circumstances it is something you earn, I don't think he felt he needed to bother as he was too good for a team he viewed as being lucky to have him. What was his phrase on being appointed about mid-table?

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2011, 10:25:03 AM »
I have no problems with Luke Young. He never gave less than 100% and was always prepared to get stuck in. Dunne, Collins and Warnock is a different story.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2011, 10:27:25 AM »

Respect is an interesting concept. What respect for Aston Villa did GH show at Anfield last season?

In most circumstances it is something you earn, I don't think he felt he needed to bother as he was too good for a team he viewed as being lucky to have him. What was his phrase on being appointed about mid-table?

I see your point Chris - likewise respect should also be a two way thing, as well as being earned.

Whatever way we look upon his short tenure at VP - "the chemistry wasn`t right".

Similarly, using another chemistry metaphore - McLeish and his fit with the club is akin to "mixing water with oil" but that`s for another thread no doubt.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2011, 10:29:02 AM »
I think Young is wrong to criticize Houllier and by clear inference the club who employed them both.   Young did just what Downing did and many more before them, he used Villa as a soft touch, a cushy billet, an easy ride while he drew his prodigious wages and sat on the back of the tandem with his feet on the handlebars.

I have tried to give credit where it is due as far as McLeish is concerned and have been genuinely pleased by his performance with the media.   However, looking at this stereotypical Young outburst I think he was wrong to regard the past (both under Houllier and O'Neill) as done and done with.   It may have been only media talk to say the slate is wiped clean but either the slate is wiped clean and McLeish ignores the way players have behaved in the past he is a fool or if the slate is not wiped clean and he has got his beady eye on the malingerers it is disingenuous (okay, bullshit) to trumpet to the world that the past is forgotten.

If you take over a management job in any field your staff come with form - this one throws a million sickies, that one drops her drawers in the stationery cupboard, that one said her grannie had died while all the time she was leading the local boxercise classes - and you make plans accordingly.

I am firmly in the school of thought that Dunne, Collins, Warnock and Ireland are still very much potential trouble makers.   If your dog has bitten the postman there is every chance, once the bruises go down, that he will bite the milkman.

If McLeish is to stamp an acceptable style on the performance and behaviour of Villa players he has to think long and hard before doing things like chucking out Makoun but giving Ireland yet more rope.   It smacks of favouritism which is particularly dangerous when one of those being seen as a favourite has done nothing whatsoever to deserve it.   Ireland is doing just what Luke Young did and using Villa as a nursing home.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2011, 10:30:48 AM »
No mention from Luke for the support the club gave him when experiencing a tough time in his personal life then, no? Shocker.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2011, 10:32:32 AM »
I suppose Houllier told Dunne to come back to training three stone overweight and demanded him and Collins get pissed together and start a fight. When will these pricks take responsibility for there own actions?

Offline Holy Trinity

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2011, 11:03:15 AM »
He obviously wasn't alienated enough to ask for a move or turn down his wages.

A transfer request's one thing, and I agree with you on that. But who the hell in human history has ever requested that they stop being paid their wages?

John Elway and that bearded Roma player, but that wasn't really Luke Young's relationship with Villa was it?

ac milans possibly former usa central defender who was out injured for a season and played the next season for free to earn the wages he got for doing sod all. can remember his name began with o tho. admittidly he was joking but the club diidnt get the joke and made him play fro free for a year

Offline Rancid custard

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2011, 11:26:21 AM »
I think Young is wrong to criticize Houllier and by clear inference the club who employed them both.   Young did just what Downing did and many more before them, he used Villa as a soft touch, a cushy billet, an easy ride while he drew his prodigious wages and sat on the back of the tandem with his feet on the handlebars.

I have tried to give credit where it is due as far as McLeish is concerned and have been genuinely pleased by his performance with the media.   However, looking at this stereotypical Young outburst I think he was wrong to regard the past (both under Houllier and O'Neill) as done and done with.   It may have been only media talk to say the slate is wiped clean but either the slate is wiped clean and McLeish ignores the way players have behaved in the past he is a fool or if the slate is not wiped clean and he has got his beady eye on the malingerers it is disingenuous (okay, bullshit) to trumpet to the world that the past is forgotten.

If you take over a management job in any field your staff come with form - this one throws a million sickies, that one drops her drawers in the stationery cupboard, that one said her grannie had died while all the time she was leading the local boxercise classes - and you make plans accordingly.

I am firmly in the school of thought that Dunne, Collins, Warnock and Ireland are still very much potential trouble makers.   If your dog has bitten the postman there is every chance, once the bruises go down, that he will bite the milkman.

If McLeish is to stamp an acceptable style on the performance and behaviour of Villa players he has to think long and hard before doing things like chucking out Makoun but giving Ireland yet more rope.   It smacks of favouritism which is particularly dangerous when one of those being seen as a favourite has done nothing whatsoever to deserve it.   Ireland is doing just what Luke Young did and using Villa as a nursing home.

Agree completely.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2011, 11:37:25 AM »

I don't reckon Alex Ferguson earns anything close to the salaries of any of his top players.  You earn respect from being good at your job and learning how to deal with people according to their personalities.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2011, 11:43:33 AM »

I think that GH "suggested" to players that they might like to improve their own game, by thinking about it more, and being prepared to put some extra work, a la Cantona.

Unfortunately it tends to be the British players who seemed to have problems with this approach, the old fashioned mentality if you like of "do my shift, then go ", the kid of players that MON liked , that would do as they were told.

MM, came up with a story on VT last year that the reason why Dunne and GH fell out was because of an arguement they had about Gabby.Dunne thought that Gabby was lazy, and did'nt put enough effort in during games, GH suggested that as a senior player Dunne should sort it out on the pitch, and that started the fallout.

As someone suggested earlier, LYoung and Dunne , Heskey , Beye, Friedel etc came to Villa because of the paypacket and comfort zone.Unfortunately i think Hutton might be the same.We need to be buying the next Ashley Youngs, Milners, thats why i think we need to perservere with Delph, Bannan etc, and bring in Herd and Clark asap.We need to get away from the "now" players of MON, and buy players with potential, with a smattering of experience.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal