collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Boo Boy's Out For Mcleish.  (Read 14880 times)

Offline Merv

Re: Boo Boy's Out For Mcleish.
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2011, 09:43:10 AM »
I'm afraid this is one of the problems with appointing McLeish. It's a predictable story and headline, but the media have been chomping for the first chance to run with this, wholly exaggerated or not. I actually feel sorry for McLeish. His appointment was so controversial that, come the first slip up, people were always going to be on his back. He doesn't have the same amount of breathing space that would be afforded to other managers.

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2011, 09:52:34 AM »
To my mind supporting The Villa is as unconditional as the love you have for your parents or your wife.

The wife? You've lost me there son!

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2011, 10:39:52 AM »
I am not a fan of McLeish and didn't want to see him appointed, but...

what would anyone on these boards have done differently since he was appointed, given the constraints he is working under?

Very little, I would guess. Maybe the odd selection or positional switch, but nothing that you could say that definitely would have yielded better results.

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2011, 10:40:14 AM »
To my mind supporting The Villa is as unconditional as the love you have for your parents or your wife.

The wife? You've lost me there son!
:)

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2011, 10:49:46 AM »
people say a better chioce of manager would have been Mark Hughes,
i dont think the football would be much different under Hughes or Moyes for that matter, i cant remember people rushing to watch the 'entertainer' Mark Hughes's team play.

if you want entertainment its Keegan, Holloway i argued long and hard for Martinez, but obviously that never happened, then theres Coyle and that chap from Swansea maybe Poyet, all of them listed would be preferable to the 3 names at the top, and yes i would take KK over AM.

Offline martin

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2011, 12:05:20 PM »
It's actually a rubbish phrasal verb, like something a child might come out with rather than a proper paper. One might explode with rage, for example, but explode with boos? Boos ring out, they don't explode. Shit writing.

That said, don't see anything wrong with a good boo at full-time when it can no longer influence the course of the game and you've paid good money for utter crap. What are we supposed to do after getting turned over at home to Bolton Wanderers, turn fuckin' sommersualts?

Edit: apologies to esteemed organ of journalistic integrity, it was Rutski who 'def exploded' Rutski, poor stuff fella.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 12:09:59 PM by martin »

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2011, 12:12:37 PM »
Putting aside the blose thing, I think the main problem with the AM appointment was the average fan was looking at a totally different criteria for manager than the board obviously were. Most of us were expecting to carry on roughly how we had under GH and the candidates we thought of were in that vein. Someone like Martinez was underwhealming and it was a shock when he turned us down but when you think about it, his rejection doesn't look odd at all in hindsight

If you tell a potential manager that a) he has to sell to buy b) you'll going to lose 8-9 players from you squad and not just the crap ones and c) a good third of the money you make from sales will be squirrelled away and not spent on replacements, then its not surprising he turned us down. Names like Hughes and Benetiz were pie in the sky because they wouldn't work under those conditions. You'd have to have an almost psychotic belief in your own abilities to take the job or be desperate to leave your current job. Which is where AM came in.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 12:15:20 PM by Greg N'Ash »

Offline DerHammer

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2011, 12:28:26 PM »
I can honestly say that in my 56 years of being a Villa fan, I've never booed a Villa player player or manager no matter how dire things were.

I booed Alpay when he 'shushed' the Holte End after scoring. That's the only time I can recall doing such a thing.

*Hangs head in shame*

Great post, by the way.

Alpay deserved the booing that day, I remember laughing at first when he did it but then it seemed like he carried on for too long, cringeworthy moment indeed.

Offline markeeeebeeee2005

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2011, 12:30:58 PM »
Villa are crap at the moment. They will probably be mediocre again at some point, and then crap again after that. Shrugs.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2011, 12:45:55 PM »
I was in The North Stand. No booing, just shrugs and shaking heads all round. I honestly don't blame people for booing. They made the effort on a wet Tuesday night and were served up a dish of utter garbage.

I thought Bolton played quite well *winy thingy*

Booing OUR team is not the way to handle things, but it's fans showing desperation - a kind of physical / mental relief if you like after being marginally patient and expectant for 90 odd minutes.

I'm not a 'better fan than yow', but have never booed the team or any player in the shirt, but can understand why it happens.

As far as 'noise' is concerned, in an ideal world, those fans would make more noise during the game - actually getting behind the team from the off, then I guess they'd have more 'right' to boo ?

UTV 100% at all times.

Offline Merv

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2011, 12:51:27 PM »
Putting aside the blose thing, I think the main problem with the AM appointment was the average fan was looking at a totally different criteria for manager than the board obviously were. Most of us were expecting to carry on roughly how we had under GH and the candidates we thought of were in that vein. Someone like Martinez was underwhealming and it was a shock when he turned us down but when you think about it, his rejection doesn't look odd at all in hindsight

If you tell a potential manager that a) he has to sell to buy b) you'll going to lose 8-9 players from you squad and not just the crap ones and c) a good third of the money you make from sales will be squirrelled away and not spent on replacements, then its not surprising he turned us down. Names like Hughes and Benetiz were pie in the sky because they wouldn't work under those conditions. You'd have to have an almost psychotic belief in your own abilities to take the job or be desperate to leave your current job. Which is where AM came in.

That's the best post you've ever made, Greg.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2011, 01:10:19 PM »
And to think some of us (me included) thought we were in with a shout for Ancelloti!

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2011, 02:03:41 PM »
And to think some of us (me included) thought we were in with a shout for Ancelloti!

Yep. While members of this forum were playing 'which Champions League winning manager do we prefer', the board was playing 'which relegation battle manager won't turn us down'.

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2011, 02:34:42 PM »

That's the best post you've ever made, Greg.

+1

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2011, 02:40:49 PM »

We didn't even get to talk to Martinez to outline our plans did we ?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal