collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Boo Boy's Out For Mcleish.  (Read 14878 times)

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
Boo Boy's Out For Mcleish.
« on: September 21, 2011, 06:18:47 PM »
I caught a glimpse of this headline on the back of today's Mail. I don't buy the rag so I didn't read the whole story, but I can imagine the glee that last nights result generated amongst their sports reporters. Never mind the financial constraints the club is working under just think of the headlines we can generate. Was it ever thus?
I was at the game last night, and I didn't hear a single boo. But there again I was among fans who support the club through thick and thin and we were making loads of noise supporting our club, and when we went behind we made even more noise. That's what supporting your club is about. No matter how bad things may seem you don't boo your own players or manager
Yes I know that if you pay good money to see your team you have the right to be upset about last nights performance, but booing the team or manager isn't going to change things.
I can honestly say that in my 56 years of being a Villa fan, I've never booed a Villa player player or manager no matter how dire things were.
To my mind supporting The Villa is as unconditional as the love you have for your parents or your wife.
If you want instant gratification either follow one of the so called big four or have a w**k. I'm sure the pleasure will last just as long.
If you want to be a "boo boy" then don't come to my football club and profess to be a fan.   

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Boo Boy's Out For Mcleish.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 06:23:24 PM »
I caught a glimpse of this headline on the back of today's Mail. I don't buy the rag so I didn't read the whole story, but I can imagine the glee that last nights result generated amongst their sports reporters.

I dare say a few of our supporters weren't too disappointed either judging from some of the comments on here and other Villa sites.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 06:27:40 PM »
I heard he Mcleish mumblings on the way out of the ground, blaming Mcleish for the club selling its two best players isn't fair on the guy.

Managers need time - simple as that.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 06:32:59 PM »
'unconditional' does not mean 'blind faith'.
You can still have differences of opinion and disagree with some points.
I have unconditional love for my kids, but we can row and argue at times.

With that in mind, I love the Villa, It is my team. But don't agree with the selection of manager, I don't like his tactics and don't believe he will bring success to the club.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 06:50:38 PM »
All I heard was the sound of silence with occasional murmurs of exasperation. No booing.

Offline Legion

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 06:53:24 PM »
I can honestly say that in my 56 years of being a Villa fan, I've never booed a Villa player player or manager no matter how dire things were.

I booed Alpay when he 'shushed' the Holte End after scoring. That's the only time I can recall doing such a thing.

*Hangs head in shame*

Great post, by the way.

Offline rutski

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 06:53:45 PM »
All I heard was the sound of silence with occasional murmurs of exasperation. No booing.
were you all there to the end because the ground exploded with boos at the end?

Offline Legion

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 06:54:40 PM »

Truthfully, no. I left as the board for injury time was displayed.

Offline rutski

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 07:00:03 PM »

Truthfully, no. I left as the board for injury time was displayed.
it was deafening, myself and my lad were on our way out and it def exploded. Luckily, for me and him we have been brought up properly and would never boo our team!

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 07:11:36 PM »
Yes I was there to the end, and about ten minutes after the final whistle we were still singing and chanting for The Villa. But there again in this age of instant gratification we are probably looked upon as deluded fools.
I prefer too look upon it as total support for your club no matter what.
And if the ground "exploded with boos" how come the 21,500 people booing didn't drown out the songs of the 500 or so in L1 and L2?
It's time to get behind the team and the manager and not too boo them, or come on here whingeing about things.
If you're Villa Till You Die you don't boo the players or manager.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 07:34:36 PM »
I was in The North Stand. No booing, just shrugs and shaking heads all round. I honestly don't blame people for booing. They made the effort on a wet Tuesday night and were served up a dish of utter garbage.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 07:37:26 PM »
I don't get this demonization of booers.   My views are the same as Andyh.   I am not at all happy with the choice of manager and I am totally at a loss to understand what he is trying to do.   My views were expressed in a nutshell by the comment which was made in the press box that we have become a posh Small Heath.   That is my personal view.

But back to booing.   If you accept that a natural reaction to being pleased is to cheer you must accept that the natural reaction to being displeased is to boo.   What the boo demonizers are trying to do is allow natural instincts to prevail when pleased but to suppress them when angered.   That is not natural or reasonable.

I have booed on a number of occasions and found it the only instant means of expressing the anger in me.   I booed Dennis Law when he stamped on Alan Deakin's face and I booed Savage when he reached through a melee of players and tried to gouge the eye out of one of our players.   Mostly I channel my anger into foul language and none racist non homophobic common abuse.

The fans at a Villa game are from all of the social spectrum and they will behave as they choose and provided they do not break the law of the land or scare the children present I think it is precious to lecture them.

That leads me on to the much bandied about censure of "getting behind the manager".   I do not know what this means.   You cannot shout "great substitution Alex!" or "well shouted at the fourth official McLeish".   If getting behind the manager means giving him credit for the things he gets right I am all for that, but like cheering and booing if I display sincere praise for the manager when he is right it is meaningless if I do not criticize him when he is wrong.

Make your own mind up about where Villa are and what they are doing and act accordingly.   Don't let the tabloids tell you what to feel and what to think. 

Offline GJH

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 07:41:43 PM »
Beginning of the end i'm afraid! Its not Mcleish fault but he is a scapegoat always was going to be. Thats why i couldn't believe the board appointed him, as soon as the results go against us the fans will turn on Mcleish.

O'neil was booed! When we were a top six team.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 07:44:03 PM »
The booing that I heard was not necessarily aimed at McLeish. It is just an easy story line for poor newspapers and radio stations. In similar circumstances we would have fielded a much weaker team than that. Anybody who did direct their booing solely at the manager is free to explain exactly what he did wrong.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal