collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Is the club in a worse state now than when Lerner took over?  (Read 13629 times)

Offline TimTheVillain

Re: Is the club in a worse state now than when Lerner took over?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 05:38:23 PM »
To me it seems, after a period of great optimism, we're now about in the same state.

Offline eastie

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 05:59:41 PM »
Lets not totally castigate doug, we did finish runner up twice and win a couple of cup finals under his stewardship along of course with some very low points too.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 06:02:10 PM »
Ashton, I think O'Neill only took the job because he knew Lerner was taking over and he had cash to spend. I don't reckon he would have took the job if the previous regime was carrying on running the club.

Agree with you that Old Deadly would never have appointed McLeish and no matter what anyone thought of Doug, his love for the club was never in doubt.

Turner, McNeill, Blues, Wolves.

Offline eastie

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 06:06:33 PM »
Ashton, I think O'Neill only took the job because he knew Lerner was taking over and he had cash to spend. I don't reckon he would have took the job if the previous regime was carrying on running the club.

Agree with you that Old Deadly would never have appointed McLeish and no matter what anyone thought of Doug, his love for the club was never in doubt.

Taylor, atkinson , little , villa , -balances out in the end , he did good and bad during his time , as  has randy.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 06:06:57 PM »

...we didn't start the fire...

Offline 5ft811st2 Durham

• Durham
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 06:08:22 PM »

Venglos, Gregory, O'Leary, Derby County

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2011, 06:10:17 PM »
You would have to have been out of touch then and out of touch now to entertain such a thought.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 06:14:01 PM »

Taylor, atkinson , little , villa , -balances out in the end , he did good and bad during his time , as  has randy.

Venglos, GT Mark II, Dolly.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 06:16:18 PM »

I'd never criticise Doug for appointing Venglos - it was a gamble that didn't work, and in a lot of ways Dr Jo was ahead of his time. It also says a lot about the way football changes that when we appointed O'Leary he wasn't far behind O'Neill in the "How did THEY get HIM?" stakes. He was easily the best available candidate.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2011, 06:17:12 PM »
The worst thing since Lerner took over is how he's turned a certain group of our fans from hard nosed, never say die men to a bunch of screamish, spoiled, little girls.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2011, 06:22:26 PM »
Maybe we need to bundle these all up into one uber-thread?
"Villa Fans Worried" has a bit of a ring to it.

Offline eastie

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2011, 06:23:31 PM »

I'd never criticise Doug for appointing Venglos - it was a gamble that didn't work, and in a lot of ways Dr Jo was ahead of his time. It also says a lot about the way football changes that when we appointed O'Leary he wasn't far behind O'Neill in the "How did THEY get HIM?" stakes. He was easily the best available candidate.

Agreed, o leary was the popular choice at the time and having took leeds to such heights had the credentials-Doug cant be blamed for appointing him.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2011, 06:29:03 PM »
Maybe we need to bundle these all up into one uber-thread?
"Villa Fans Worried" has a bit of a ring to it.

Drama Queens of the World Unite.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2011, 06:33:33 PM »

And to think I thought we were about to agree on something for the first time in two years as well.

Offline ez

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2011, 07:28:53 PM »
Doubt we would ever have signed a player like Darren Bent under Doug. Can't think of anything else.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal