collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Would you accept Villa Park being sponsored ?  (Read 20457 times)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: Would you accept Villa Park being sponsored ?
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2011, 07:24:20 PM »
I wouldn't have the slightest problem with. Someone gives us a few quid, we still call it Villa Park.

Same here, I just can't see the issue. It would still be Villa park to all and sundry, but we would have 50 million plus in the bank. I would assign it to 5million per season for the next 5 on just wages, and 25 for players.

Just as Dave has responded to TTV, where on earth have you got 50 million from?!

The rumour was that the Genting deal was worth £8m a year.  That's £8m for them to have their name plastered all over everything to do with the club.

Do you really expect someone to pay more for some token renaming of the stadium that will virtually never get used?

How often is Newcastle's ground called the 'sportdirect @ St James' Park Stadium' exactly?!

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2011, 07:26:59 PM »
It'll always be Villa Park to me so why not!

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2011, 07:31:25 PM »
5 million a season over 10 years or so i would imagine. Stadium deals are usually longer term deals than shirt sponsors, and attract similar amounts per season due to the duration from what happens in the USA, where it is quite common.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2011, 07:36:17 PM »
5 million a season over 10 years or so i would imagine. Stadium deals are usually longer term deals than shirt sponsors, and attract similar amounts per season due to the duration from what happens in the USA, where it is quite common.

OK, so it's quite common in the States which to my mind means you'll get more money over there - ie it's a cultural thing to not do it over here so people are less likely to spend as much money on it.

Also, you're advocating selling the naming rights to the ground for 10 years then spending the money in no more than 5.  What do we do for money in the second half of that 10 year period?

It's just not worth it to me.  The Villa's turnover is almost £100m a year.  Over 10 years that a billion pounds.  The amount we'd get for this would be a drop in the ocean.

Online TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2011, 07:38:22 PM »
Unless it is a new, currently nameless ground, naming rights are pointless.  Even Citeh fans, who having been burdened with the unwieldy City of Manchester Stadium before settling on Eastlands, are not referring to their ground as The Etihad, and they've only been there 5 minutes.

(Not that Etihad are bothered: that whole £500m deal is simply a way of keeping the Arab money flowing when regulations are supposedly tightened.)

Offline villaIoW

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2011, 07:42:25 PM »
As long as the money was invested in improving Aston Villa
And not in to a rich mans bank account.

Offline ozzjim

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2011, 07:49:55 PM »

OK, so it's quite common in the States which to my mind means you'll get more money over there - ie it's a cultural thing to not do it over here so people are less likely to spend as much money on it.

Also, you're advocating selling the naming rights to the ground for 10 years then spending the money in no more than 5.  What do we do for money in the second half of that 10 year period?

It's just not worth it to me.  The Villa's turnover is almost £100m a year.  Over 10 years that a billion pounds.  The amount we'd get for this would be a drop in the ocean.

5million plus a season is 2 players wages. Turnover is likely to drop below 100 million significantly I would think over the next 2-3 years in the current situation, so 5 million a season may be well over 5% of turnover, which would certainly not be a drop in the ocean for any business. A billion over 10 years is not a big business, considering the money the players are paid, the sizes of the companies are relatively small. To suggest 50 million quid would be a drop in the ocean, even 30-40 million, when it could mean having 2 extra players of good quality in the squad is short sighted IMO.

Re the orignal post about how I would spend it it was before I thought about it and using the 50 million from the previous page as an example, but it would be paid on an annual basis most likely so would not be possible to spend it in advance in that manner anyway.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2011, 08:19:28 PM »
The whole argument still revolves around this figure of £5m per season which as far as I can tell has been plucked out of thin air.

As Adam has said, we recently signed our biggest ever sponsorship deal worth around £8m per year (if reports are accurate). for Genting to have their name plastered across everything to do with the club.

Why would anybody give £5m per season for the privilege of everybody still just referring to it as Villa Park? Who is this mythical company who is going to want to give us this money?

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2011, 11:01:01 PM »
As long as the money was invested in improving Aston Villa
And not in to a rich mans bank account.
No chance of that.

Offline Lee

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/BlackCountryVilla/
  • GM : Jul, 2014
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2011, 11:03:39 PM »
No ...once you have sold your soul to the devil he does not give it back

Unfortunately football in general did that a long, long time ago

Online Karlos96

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2011, 11:33:17 PM »
I wouldn't want us to do it, I couldn't see it making a difference anyway, who is going to want to pay a a whole load of money to sponsor a stadium when everyone will still call it Villa Park?  On top of that I doubt we'd get a decent amount to make a difference.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2011, 11:43:07 PM »
I think it might depend on who it was, as to how accepting I was.

'The Jaguar, Villa Park.'  Not bad.

'Lidl Villa.'
I don't think so.

Offline ozzjim

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2011, 12:04:44 AM »
The whole argument still revolves around this figure of £5m per season which as far as I can tell has been plucked out of thin air.

As Adam has said, we recently signed our biggest ever sponsorship deal worth around £8m per year (if reports are accurate). for Genting to have their name plastered across everything to do with the club.

Why would anybody give £5m per season for the privilege of everybody still just referring to it as Villa Park? Who is this mythical company who is going to want to give us this money?

It is plucked out of the air as a figure that is possibly realistic, stadium deals tend to be decent sized or they don't happen, and they tend to be longer term. Arsenals was for 15 seasons I think. I reckon we would get pretty close to 5 million a season if we were to auction it off. Hell the side of VP with the motorway traffic alone must be worth a few bob in advertising space all lit up.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2011, 12:23:45 AM »
Hell the side of VP with the motorway traffic alone must be worth a few bob in advertising space all lit up.

What, like Walsall have done?!

The sheer thought of it makes me cringe.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2011, 12:25:08 AM »
Hell the side of VP with the motorway traffic alone must be worth a few bob in advertising space all lit up.

What, like Walsall have done?!

The sheer thought of it makes me cringe.

What's the difference between that and hoardings around the pitch?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal