collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by eamonn
[Today at 11:36:44 PM]

Queue-drophenia by eamonn
[Today at 11:36:21 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 11:21:01 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 11:15:06 PM]

Reflections on Conference League by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 11:10:38 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by eamonn
[Today at 10:40:46 PM]

Kosta Nedeljkovic - signed by Steve67
[Today at 10:31:33 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Steve67
[Today at 10:30:32 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by eamonn
[Today at 11:36:44 PM]

Re: Queue-drophenia by eamonn
[Today at 11:36:21 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by David_Nab
[Today at 11:27:32 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 11:21:01 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 11:20:06 PM]

Re: Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 11:15:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 11:11:20 PM]

Re: Reflections on Conference League by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 11:10:38 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lightweight midfield  (Read 16708 times)

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
Re: Lightweight midfield
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2011, 01:19:24 PM »
Imagine Fellaini in our midfield instead of Petrov, a big, pretty intimidating guy who can pass and also score the odd goal.

That's the kind of player we need.

I find him one of the most overrated players in the league tbh.

I disagree.  I think he would be a perfect fit for our midfield (although I'm not a fan of his constant elbowing).  He's reasonably mobile and an absolute giant so it should allow Bannan to play centrally without us being too small.

I fear he'd cost in excess of 10m so he could be beyond our means at the moment.

Offline Merv

« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2011, 01:44:04 PM »
By the way, been reading quite a bit this past week about a certain midfielder impressing in Serie A; Michael Bradley's Chievo punching above their weight and up to third (early days in the league I know).

Still think, for the sake of £2.5m, he'd have been a good acquisition in central midfield. Perhaps if funds hadn't been so tight we'd have taken the chance.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2011, 05:46:39 PM »
By the way, been reading quite a bit this past week about a certain midfielder impressing in Serie A; Michael Bradley's Chievo punching above their weight and up to third (early days in the league I know).

Still think, for the sake of £2.5m, he'd have been a good acquisition in central midfield. Perhaps if funds hadn't been so tight we'd have taken the chance.
I think it's easier for a hard working box-to-box guy to succeed in Italy. Personally, I don't think he could have ever hacked the grind of English football. Too fast and too strong for him.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2011, 07:20:12 PM »
Considering the fact he played four times for us (for the reserves against Man City in the Cup, when we were down to ten against Blackburn and two other games I cannot remember. One of which I recall him being pretty good in) we could hardly conclude as to his ability or lack thereof. He had no fair chance to impress or do otherwise let alone bed into the side.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2011, 07:24:49 PM »
Bradley didn't get much of a chance, and in the chances he did get, the game passed him by.

It was unfortunate for him, really, that the managerial situation changed, and the club found themselves needing to make a decision on whether to go ahead with the deal or not. It was always likely to be a no, given those circumstances.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2011, 07:59:01 PM »
Imagine Fellaini in our midfield instead of Petrov, a big, pretty intimidating guy who can pass and also score the odd goal.

I disagree.  I think he would be a perfect fit for our midfield (although I'm not a fan of his constant elbowing).  He's reasonably mobile and an absolute giant so it should allow Bannan to play centrally without us being too small.

I fear he'd cost in excess of 10m so he could be beyond our means at the moment.

He should also have written into his contract. Grow hair as much as humanly possible and stand in front of the oppo's goalkeeper.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2011, 09:44:13 AM »

He should also have written into his contract. Grow hair as much as humanly possible and stand in front of the oppo's goalkeeper.

Goes without saying !

He's just a name that came to mind, he's young and has masses of complimentary ability.

As VN says, beyond our wafer thin budget sadly or a January raid would make sense while offloading Ireland I guess.

We're putting our hopes on Jenas, I hope he delivers, we really do need to get more cohesive as a unit, sometimes you watch the team play and it looks like they don't know each other and it's all about individual rather than collective play.

But that's another point.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal