collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lightweight midfield  (Read 16681 times)

Offline andyaston

Lightweight midfield
« on: September 21, 2011, 02:27:23 PM »
From what I have seen since the start of the season a few things have changed. One is we look pretty well orgainised at the back, a lot more solid than last year.

However, our midfield seems extremely lightweight and in our last 3 games without Heskey's strength and support our midfield has been overrun.

Since we lost Milner last year we have been lacking in this department, games away at Man City and Liverpool last season were alarming. There were other games where we got away with it but, in the main our backline was under no protection and looked all at sea.

This season we have a good Goalkeeper in Shay Given and the backline look more solid with vast improvements from Warnock and Dunne. But, when Petrov (who seems to be playing well) went off on saturday we had a midfield consisting of Albrighton, Delph, N'zogbia and Ireland. This, with Bannan who was substituted makes the middle of the park seem very weak. All are under 5''9 tall and none weigh more than 11 stone which means a pub team could bully us.

Anyone who has played the game knows if your playing with a lightweight midfield your there for the taking. Jenas may add some running but, this area needs adressing. Until this happens, the forwards will have no service and our improved defence will be put under more pressure thus, we will get performances similar to our last 3 games, two of which we got away with lucky draws.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
Re: Lightweight midfield
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 02:38:10 PM »
I totally agree. The injection of someone a bit mean in there will make a big difference. There is an improvement in some individual performances but it needs someone to hold it all together as midfield is a bit of a void at the moment.

Offline Merv

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 02:41:37 PM »
Lightweight midfield, absolutely.... I think a few of us saw this coming months ago. I've put my thoughts on it in the QPR pre-match thread.

Offline nigel

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 03:08:03 PM »
I totally agree.
I was sat high in the Trinity for last night game, I'm usually in the family area.
There seemed to be a huge hole in the middle.
I felt for the defence last night as they had no cover in front, something Petrov & Delph had been doing.
Last night we had, in my opinion, a really attack minded midfield and it failed big time.
I know he's got his knockers, but I think we missed Delph last night.
Talking of having his knockers, Heskey's got his fair share also.
Would I be the only one to say I think we missed him too?
I think we lacked muscle last night, EH holds it pretty well, and when you play the likes of Bolton you need it.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 05:53:12 PM »
Did we actually offer NRC a new contract ? From reading an interview with him,it sounds like we didn't,he only found out on twitter that he'd been released.

Either way,though he had his limitations,we miss his pressing and energy,and we don'thave anyone like him in the squad right now.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 06:24:14 PM »
Did we actually offer NRC a new contract ? From reading an interview with him,it sounds like we didn't,he only found out on twitter that he'd been released.
Not the sharpest knife in the drawer is he then.

His contract was ending. He hadn't signed another one. What exactly was he expecting to happen on July 1st?

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 06:55:49 PM »
We need an absolute gripper in the middle of the park who isn't Joey Barton but does kick chunks out of anyone within 15 yards of him.

I think Jean Deux was meant to be that man but it didn't quite work out like that.

Sadly, the sort of player we need is a pretty rare occurence.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 07:52:25 PM »
I think we lacked muscle last night, EH holds it pretty well, and when you play the likes of Bolton you need it.

You wouldn't think so considering how much he gets slagged off.
Heskey would have been just what we needed to mix it in the middle a bit last night.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 08:00:12 PM »
I thought Jean II Makoun could have been that player but he carried the incurable disease of being the previous manager's man and treated accordingly ie disgracefully when you compare how much time and indulgence has been wasted on Ireland.   The reverse is true of course that N'Zogbia can fanny about and play the diva till the cows come home and still be on the teamsheet because he is the manager's man.

Offline wombat

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 08:03:22 PM »

Heskey would have been just what we needed to mix it in the middle a bit last night.

And in all honesty, regardless of loving or hating heskey, if an aging centre forward who has never really used his bulk, pace and skill to anywhere near it's potential can do a job in midfield then we are really in the shit.

Offline drisaac

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 08:14:32 PM »
Anyone who has played the game knows if your playing with a lightweight midfield your there for the taking.

When was the last time you watched Barcelona?

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 08:19:10 PM »
Anyone who has played the game knows if your playing with a lightweight midfield your there for the taking.

When was the last time you watched Barcelona?

Indeed but the Barca midfield get in their faces, our midfield stand off and invite them to pass the ball around us.

Offline nigel

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 08:29:37 PM »

And in all honesty, regardless of loving or hating heskey, if an aging centre forward who has never really used his bulk, pace and skill to anywhere near it's potential can do a job in midfield then we are really in the shit.
He wouldn't have player midfield, would he?
He'd have played alongside Gabby and took the hits for him.
Some games you need someone like EH, others you don't. Simples

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 08:33:20 PM »
That comment Villadephia is one of the most insightful I have read in ages.   Barcelona midfield are like terriers after rats.   Our midfield watch the opposition and try to make sense of what they are doing instead of breaking it up whatever it is.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 08:53:15 PM »
Arsenal did the same with Thomas Rocastle and Davis, they hunted as a pack, you dont need to tackle if you close the space around the man in posession the way that Barca do. Surprised that this tactic has not been repeated in the game more often, you need quick agile players with stamina to do it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal