collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by Demitri_C
[Today at 03:45:30 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 03:38:54 PM]

NSWE Investment by algy
[Today at 03:36:15 PM]

Kosta Nedeljkovic - signed by Ads
[Today at 03:36:03 PM]

Celebrity Fans. What's The Point? by Risso
[Today at 03:31:03 PM]

Arsenal 0-2 Aston Villa Post match interaction by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 03:28:18 PM]

Villa Park by Simon Page
[Today at 03:21:32 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by SamTheMouse
[Today at 03:16:36 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How would you sort the Current Situation out?  (Read 17622 times)

Offline NeilH

Re: How would you sort the Current Situation out?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 12:15:08 PM »
If we get nothing out of the next two games and with a  sure hiding awaiting at Eastlands the Board will need to make some tough decisions.

Like what? The board will do nothing, because no matter what occurs in the next few weeks, they have made it abundantly clear that there will be no change in policy. We could get utterly spanked at Eastlands (which we won't of course) and on the following Monday morning it will be business as usual at VP - On here I suspect many of our posters will be hanging from the beams.

Offline Merv

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 12:26:52 PM »
You're right. I think the board are probably quite satisfied with the season so far. Wage bill being significantly reduced, squad size the same, transfer activity generating a profit, steady start to the season, unbeaten and in a reasonably sound position in the PL. They may have concerns over attendances at this point, but other than that I believe they'd be quite happy.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 12:27:25 PM »
Is Randy attending games ?

He's obviously still interested but I would imagine, waiting for the bubble to burst until Villa can truly compete.

But the bubble won't burst, the rich get richer somehow, and the only way we are going to be 'up there' is if Randy sells.

This isn't easy, Everton are struggling to find a buyer and have a 'For Sale' sign outside the ground.

Our youth aren't as good as it was hoped they'd be ( Fonz in particular) and we're in the same situation as all the other mid table clubs - not enough money, recession affecting gates, payroll too high against t/o ... and the list goes on.

I guess there is no one answer, other than making the team we have play to the max.

This is where McLeish and team come in - they must start to get the team playing as a team, running off the ball, passing, moving, passing moving.

Stopping the 'hoof and hope' from the back Sunday league football style of play has to be first on the agenda at BH this week.

If certain players are lacking in confidence, get Mr Motivator in ( money i.e.wages doesn't come into this) and let's see some football AM, then, and only then will the fans come back and maybe, we will see some decent results.

People knock Harry R all the time, but he knows how to get a team playing; he knows how to create a brand of football that's easy on the eye.

If we can achieve that and move forward then many Villa fans will be far far happier, and we may even see some goals, some wins, some 3 pointers.

It aint easy, there's no quick fix.

Offline pedro25

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 12:58:26 PM »
I know we sold some big players this summer, but in the last 13 months the board has paid £8 mill for Ireland, £6mill on Makoun, £24 Mill on Bent and £9.5 mill on N'Zogbia, none of whom are living up to their price tags.  Delph, Petrov and Cuellar are hardly looking like £8 mill players these days either.  When you consider the money spent on the likes of Given, Collins, Warnock and Dunne as well it is a hellishly expensively assembled squad, so I can't really fault the board.  It's a little early to slate the new manager, but positive results in the next 2 games are crucial. 

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 12:59:19 PM »
On the pitch - McLeish is going nowhere, we have to keep calm and carry on.

Off the pitch - Getting someone who has been around the English game for years like David Dein onboard in an advisory capacity might not be a bad idea.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 01:01:36 PM »
On the pitch - McLeish is going nowhere, we have to keep calm and carry on.

Off the pitch - Getting someone who has been around the English game for years like David Dein onboard in an advisory capacity might not be a bad idea.

Yup.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2011, 01:17:04 PM »
Was Stride not offered any position at all during the takeover?

Offline Maradona10

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 01:24:36 PM »
I honestly think Alan Curbishley could do a better job than this mug!!

Offline Compass

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 01:29:04 PM »
The scary thing about our useless board is if we are in relegation by new year then they'll either not do anything, another panic buy (where it would have been better just giving McLeish the money in the summer) or sack McLeish (very unlikely) where we'll be stuck with Kev Mac until the end (don't want) or they'll hire another poor manager. I trust Ireland's football ability more than the board's ability to find the right manager that's how terrible they are.

We're stuck in a hole at the moment and we won't be able to get out until the core is destroyed. That is, for the board to do one and allow us to start again.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2011, 01:40:50 PM »
I trust Ireland's football ability more than the board's ability to find the right manager that's how terrible they are.

I know what you mean.  If Mcleish was sacked tomorrow the sense of dread at who they might choose to replace him would be unbearable.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2011, 01:44:24 PM »
I think undoubtedly Randy has to stay and rumours of him totally losing interest in Villa are, I suspect, very wide of the mark. He’s clearly a realistic who has assessed the way football is heading and decided that the best long term policy is to reign in and maintain equilibrium. Herein to me lies the root of the problem. I suspect that the actions of the club are valid and business savvy, however, the PR at Villa is nothing short of shocking.

When Randy first took over, there was a palpable sense that the club valued the fans and many things were done to make us feel that the club truly valued us. However, ever since the departure of MON, the club has been stepping backwards at a frightening pace, leaving fans bewildered and the press seeing an easy target for the tedious ‘Villa in crisis’ banner. They have got to address this sharpish and give us the fans a clear picture of the actions we are taking so that we get a sense of why we are doing what we are doing and what the long term goal is.

RL has to stay? He and his joke side-kick The General have lurched from one crisis to another since August 2010. They haven't a clue and have made a series of disastrous decisions over the last year or so. You need Football men on the Board and these two haven't any idea whatsoever. I can't believe that people on here still support a part-time regime that's rapidly sending us down to the Championship - WAKE UP!!

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2011, 01:53:38 PM »
I'd employ the old fashioned virtue known as patience.

Offline NeilH

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2011, 02:06:06 PM »
I think undoubtedly Randy has to stay and rumours of him totally losing interest in Villa are, I suspect, very wide of the mark. He’s clearly a realistic who has assessed the way football is heading and decided that the best long term policy is to reign in and maintain equilibrium. Herein to me lies the root of the problem. I suspect that the actions of the club are valid and business savvy, however, the PR at Villa is nothing short of shocking.

When Randy first took over, there was a palpable sense that the club valued the fans and many things were done to make us feel that the club truly valued us. However, ever since the departure of MON, the club has been stepping backwards at a frightening pace, leaving fans bewildered and the press seeing an easy target for the tedious ‘Villa in crisis’ banner. They have got to address this sharpish and give us the fans a clear picture of the actions we are taking so that we get a sense of why we are doing what we are doing and what the long term goal is.

RL has to stay? He and his joke side-kick The General have lurched from one crisis to another since August 2010. They haven't a clue and have made a series of disastrous decisions over the last year or so. You need Football men on the Board and these two haven't any idea whatsoever. I can't believe that people on here still support a part-time regime that's rapidly sending us down to the Championship - WAKE UP!!

And who do you propose should takeover? Perhaps we ought to give Doug a call back and say all is forgiven, or perhaps give Bill Gates a tinkle and ask him if he fancies taking on a middling Premier League club who’s fans have the patience of a six year old with a bag of sweets and are prone to turn on him the moment he chooses not to spunk another 10M away on a fruitless exercise.

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2011, 02:08:34 PM »
Remy,

Reducing the prices does not mean increased attendance [last night for example was £5-£15 and we only got 22,000]

If you reduce all the prices then you will have to pass on the saving to the season ticket holders or they may decide that they are being ripped off and then don't renew

I think they would because last night was an evening cup game compared to the saturday traditional 3pm kick off time. (Which are few and far between now because of Sky).

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2011, 02:08:46 PM »
I trust Ireland's football ability more than the board's ability to find the right manager that's how terrible they are.

I know what you mean.  If Mcleish was sacked tomorrow the sense of dread at who they might choose to replace him would be unbearable.
It would be Kevin Keegan.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal