collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How would you sort the Current Situation out?  (Read 17665 times)

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping
How would you sort the Current Situation out?
« on: September 21, 2011, 11:34:51 AM »
I dont think the club needs sorting out root and branch like some of the over the top posts Ive been reading since last night.

I think Randy is the best possible custodian of the club at this present time. You dont pay £60 million for something and then dont care about it. I think he is doing the best he can under the circumstances of the ever changing football climate.

I think he is doing the right thing by cutting down and getting rid of the players that dont want to be here and shouldnt be here - the spending that MON did isnt sustainable long term without results. MON wasnt getting that and made some bad decisions so here we are.

Thankfully, Houllier granted us his own exit strategy before too much damage was done. Im CERTAIN the board interviewed higher calibre candidates than Mcleish but wanted the purse strings open and not work under the financial constraints that Mcleish accepted. Im pleased that we got SOMEBODY that has managed Rangers and at International level.

I dont think nothing needs to change at board level.

Manager wise, well we are playing more defensive is one way of putting it, I think 5 games in and we've had some inspid displays which has reflected in attendances. I think 12 or 15 games in we will have a better picture of where we are heading this season. You can tell that Albrighton and Delph have been told to become more defensive and not play with as much freedom as they are used to. Perhaps he will change that. He wont keep playing the same team, Delph and Zog both dropped last night after poor displays against Newcastle. I think Mcleish needs time. Time to change it around, diff formations, motivation techniques, different games.

Players wise I think the last remanants of the deadwood we should get rid of in January and replaced (except if they do well from now) is Beye, Ireland and Heskey. We will then have a core of players in Hutton, Cuellar, Dunne, Collins, Warnock, Delph, Petrov, Zog, Bannan, Albrighton,Bent, Gabby, Fonz to be supplemented by a few signings in January.

I dont think Mcleish should go as he is not going to lose the dressing room. He may lose the fans if everything he tries fails by Christmas but its too early to get on his back. And would somebody PLEASE tell the press to give the Birmingham City link a rest. Nobdoy F***ing cares.

I think the prices at Villa Park are too high. Ive been quoted £72 for me and my 2 sons to attend at home to Wigan. This is in the Holte end corner lower. I think it should be £20 for me and £10 for the kids. I think the Manchester clubs, North London clubs, Chelski, Liverpool and the Black Country games should be premium priced but the rest should be more sensible. With a lower price we will get increase revenue, more noise, more backing and this transfers to the players on the pitch getting behind the team.

I think we need evolution not revolution here.

Offline Greg N'Ash

Re: How would you sort the Current Situation out?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 11:46:33 AM »
The problem is our options are limited. Sack Mcliesh and replace him with whom? We tried a manager who liked to pass and it got us nowhere, now we gone the other way and its panning out the same. Lerner doesn't seem committed in anyway apart from clawing back as much dough as possible. I'd like to see 3 or 4 of the current first team shipped out but thats not going to happen either.

Wait and see what happens seems the only option currently i'm afraid.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 11:48:19 AM »
Honest answer,  i dont know

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 11:49:11 AM »
We need Albrighton & NZogbia to start finding some form & we need to get the right players with Petrov in the middle.

Offline MarkM

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 11:53:02 AM »
Remy,

Reducing the prices does not mean increased attendance [last night for example was £5-£15 and we only got 22,000]

If you reduce all the prices then you will have to pass on the saving to the season ticket holders or they may decide that they are being ripped off and then don't renew

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 11:53:27 AM »
Whatever happens on the pitch (and Mcleish's style is being debated widely elsewhere) the one thing we need to do is get a football man back on the board, who seemed pretty clueless in the summer and now we are reaping the consequences. SGT or Steve Stride would be ideal but Taylor is committed to Watford and don't know why Stride quit.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 11:56:09 AM »
Bring back Big Ron.

Online ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 11:56:20 AM »
Without a change of board and some cash coming in, which isn't likely, it is a case of crossing fingers and hoping for better results.

The big problem in the team is lack of midfield bite, but there is no player in the squad that can come in and rectify that. So nothing doing till January. Sacking McLeish now would cost several million, and who would come in to replace him?

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 11:57:40 AM »
Anybody on a free, no contract etc we could snap up?

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 12:01:49 PM »
Anybody on a free, no contract etc we could snap up?

Wages still a problem. He was looking at McFadden but had to rule him out.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 12:03:22 PM »
Uncle Bob's available....

*runs off*

Offline NeilH

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 12:03:32 PM »
I think undoubtedly Randy has to stay and rumours of him totally losing interest in Villa are, I suspect, very wide of the mark. He’s clearly a realistic who has assessed the way football is heading and decided that the best long term policy is to reign in and maintain equilibrium. Herein to me lies the root of the problem. I suspect that the actions of the club are valid and business savvy, however, the PR at Villa is nothing short of shocking.

When Randy first took over, there was a palpable sense that the club valued the fans and many things were done to make us feel that the club truly valued us. However, ever since the departure of MON, the club has been stepping backwards at a frightening pace, leaving fans bewildered and the press seeing an easy target for the tedious ‘Villa in crisis’ banner. They have got to address this sharpish and give us the fans a clear picture of the actions we are taking so that we get a sense of why we are doing what we are doing and what the long term goal is.

Offline Merv

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 12:05:43 PM »
I know what I'd have done four months ago, not so sure now.

It's as we are until January, at least.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 12:10:20 PM »
If we get nothing out of the next two games and with a  sure hiding awaiting at Eastlands the Board will need to make some tough decisions.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 12:13:47 PM »
I thought getting Kevin Mcdonald in to the first team coaching team was a good move.  The other thing as CJ pointed out would be to get a football man in on the board. 

I was hoping for some sort of announcement from Aston Villa as to what their future hopes and ambitions were in the current climate.  What I got was that dreadful letter they sent out.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal