collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lowest Point  (Read 21104 times)

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
Re: Lowest Point
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2011, 12:12:30 AM »
This is modern life. Everything's either great or awful. 

We deserve* better.

*believe we're entitled to

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2011, 12:16:12 AM »

Win - great
Lose - awful

There's always been a two out of three chance of having one or the other.

Offline Macho Man Randy Savage

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2011, 12:16:25 AM »
I've seen lower moments than this and there's people on here who have been following Villa a lot longer than I have.

What I would say though is that in general when we've been rubbish in the past, I've had some hope (even if it wasn't realistic) that once we had got through a difficult period we had some good times to look forward to. I really can't see us ever finishing any higher than mid table under McLeish.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2011, 12:24:05 AM »

Nah, modern life just stinks full stop. Alcohol is the only answer.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2011, 12:24:12 AM »
I'm older than any of you and have seen it all before and worse, the most disappointing aspect for me is i thought with Lerner at long last we could have success over a sustained period at Villa Park. The promise has disappeared and Mr Lerner will find once he has the finances balanced to his satisfaction that no decent player will come to Villa Park. He is now no better than Doug with a side that is no better than the one that he bought from Doug. Selling all our better players, employing a manager with a history of relegation in his portfolio, you might think he is trying to get us relegated.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2011, 12:24:36 AM »
Quit being nancies. I've been called a "blind optimist" but some of you are just absolutely pathetic. If this is even close to your lowest moment as a Villa fan, well then quite frankly you're not a long time supporter. If you can't handle the ups and downs of football then go follows the mancs.

We had a bad performance in the god damn Carling Cup on a Tuesday night, let's be real here. We played an understrength Prem side, we didn't get to play some lower league garbage. Let's get it together and smash QPR on the weekend so all of you can flip-flop your opinions again.

We'll be fine. Onwards and UPWARDS.

Support your club.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2011, 12:26:05 AM »
Personally its nowhere near Billy Mcneil bad yet which is the worse i remember. Not DOL bad even. Ask me again if we're down the bottom at christmas. The ABMc mob have appeared for the first time which doesn't look good but we all knew that was coming.

Offline Brian Taylor

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2011, 12:36:26 AM »
There's been worse.
I recall Tommy Doherty saying, when he was brought in after we were relegated from the old 1st Div, to great applause and appreciation, on ATV News. It was just before Crossroads.
'I'm here to get Villa out of the 2nd Div'..and we went straight into the 3rd..
aaah memories eh?

We'll survive but need to check the acid erosion on teeth first!

Offline Macho Man Randy Savage

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2011, 12:40:01 AM »
Personally its nowhere near Billy Mcneil bad yet which is the worse i remember. Not DOL bad even. Ask me again if we're down the bottom at christmas. The ABMc mob have appeared for the first time which doesn't look good but we all knew that was coming.

To be honest, I don't think McLeish is that bad, it just seems more obvious that we aren't going to catch the top teams under him than say Houllier, even if we aren't actually any worse.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2011, 12:44:05 AM »
Quit being nancies. I've been called a "blind optimist" but some of you are just absolutely pathetic. If this is even close to your lowest moment as a Villa fan, well then quite frankly you're not a long time supporter. If you can't handle the ups and downs of football then go follows the mancs.

We had a bad performance in the god damn Carling Cup on a Tuesday night, let's be real here. We played an understrength Prem side, we didn't get to play some lower league garbage. Let's get it together and smash QPR on the weekend so all of you can flip-flop your opinions again.

We'll be fine. Onwards and UPWARDS.

Support your club.

Crashing bore alert.

Offline KRS

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2011, 01:27:53 AM »
Tonight was bad, but I've seen much worse performances and much worse results.

I was against the decision to appoint AM and it still feels like a bad nightmare, but tried my best to be optimistic once the appointment was confirmed...unfortunately it seems the doubters are being proved right with negative tactics, team selections and piss poor performances.

I actually feel sorry for AM...he was offered a job with a good salary, our best players were sold and then told virtually no budget to bring in replacements. Unfortunately there is only one man that can be blamed for recent events and the current situation...and I'm afraid to say that is Mr Randy Lerner himself.

If it gets worse, will Randy have the balls to sack the manager no one wanted in the first place?

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2011, 02:07:31 AM »
This is Aston Villa, OP.

Have a quick scan over our history post WWII.
We've been mostly average with a few high spots (and a few real lows)  to lift the tedium.

There was always going to be some major outpouring of grief tonight, and I'm not going to mock Loxton -or anyone else who feels that way.  The lack of competition/ competitiveness in the top flight nowadays and seeing things like Ashley Young in a Man U shirt eats away at my overall enthusiasm for the game far more than anything else.

Villa gobbing it in straightforward looking cup ties is pretty much the norm though. In an ever changing world, and all that.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2011, 03:33:27 AM »
This is Aston Villa, OP.

Have a quick scan over our history post WWII.
We've been mostly average with a few high spots (and a few real lows)  to lift the tedium.

There was always going to be some major outpouring of grief tonight, and I'm not going to mock Loxton -or anyone else who feels that way.  The lack of competition/ competitiveness in the top flight nowadays and seeing things like Ashley Young in a Man U shirt eats away at my overall enthusiasm for the game far more than anything else.

Villa gobbing it in straightforward looking cup ties is pretty much the norm though. In an ever changing world, and all that.

There hasn't been a major outpouring of grief if you look at the number of posts involved. Virtually all of the fans  I know saw this coming and shook their heads sadly. Of grief and melodrama was there none. Just stoicism and resignation.

Offline austin

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2011, 04:36:23 AM »
Fickle.

Again.

We played crap, we lost.

Lets smash QPR and get this season started.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2011, 04:43:22 AM »
That was directed more at the OP - though again, I don't think he should come in for stick for feeling that way.

Stoicism and resignation is about right as far as most Villa fans are concerned, I'd have thought. 

We're a bit shit, but we won't go down. Based on previous history, we're on a downward cycle at the moment but might hit an upward curve again in 2/3 years.  Most likely not under Big Eck though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal