collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Football performance under McLeish  (Read 21886 times)

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
Re: Football performance under McLeish
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2011, 09:51:34 AM »
What we need is to find the next Big Ron Atkinson to bring in the players and crowd and proper football. I am sick off too many poor/unispiring performance. I want big games and big performance and entertainment. Villa deliver none. We were poor once Little resigned. O'Leary, Gregory, O'Neill and Houllier and McLeish are not good enough.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2011, 09:54:55 AM »
McLeish has had to come into a club which dont forget were staring at relegation in April, and have since lost their two star players who gave them width.
Unforunately the width that is there now is as yet not compensating for that loss.
Albrighton is failing to receive service and when he does he seems to have lost his ability to cross. N'Zogbia appears as yet not to have arrived at all.

The low point for me last night was that we finished up screaming to bring N'Zogbia on, just three days after we had been screaming for him to be taken off. 

Offline Zhong Yi

• Let's All Have A Disco....la la la la
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2011, 10:10:31 AM »
What we need is to find the next Big Ron Atkinson to bring in the players and crowd and proper football. I am sick off too many poor/unispiring performance. I want big games and big performance and entertainment. Villa deliver none. We were poor once Little resigned. O'Leary, Gregory, O'Neill and Houllier and McLeish are not good enough.

agreed.

I said it on here before - McLeish won't last 12 months at Villa.

Offline supertommykN'iba

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2011, 10:11:48 AM »
Hmm, let's see.

N'Zogbia is a flop so far. McLeish bought him.
Albirghton is doing poorly. Houllier did better with him.
Makoun was sent on loan to bring Jenas (wow!!!) who's injured straight away.
He keeps playing Delph who's in poor form (Bannan is the better alternative)

We all thought that N'Zogbia was going to be a great signing. Hasn't worked so far, but should in long term.
Albrighton has been rubbish for months, even under Houllier. So overrated.
Makoun, as good a player as he is, didn't impact as much as he should have, but should have ben given more of a chance. We didn't know Jenas would get injured straight away, he is a good signing I feel.
Delph has been playing really well, not sure where this common opinion of him being in poor form has come from?!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2011, 10:12:14 AM »

agreed.

He'll be here at least as long as Lerner is.

Offline Zhong Yi

• Let's All Have A Disco....la la la la
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2011, 10:13:06 AM »
and that is a crying shame.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2011, 10:14:33 AM »

agreed.

He'll be here at least as long as Lerner is.

Exactly.

Offline Cjamesk

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2011, 10:32:56 AM »
I haven't had the oppurtunity to visit VP this season as I now work and live in London (cancelling my 15yr long season ticket just to costs if I'm honest travel etc) but anyhow I digress, my grandfather went last night and this is a mail he sent me this morning of his summing up of the game last night and where we are, as I said I haven't been up this year so don't know how much of this rings true but I think he does hit the nail on the head regarding "non football people" at the top but here we go;

"No I'm deeply depressed today, I'm a kill joy I had the envious luck of Ryan getting me a  ticket and went up to watch the dross, around a 25k attendance which has to be applauded.

Honestly I think we're in serious trouble, In my opinion he (McLeish) wasted 10million on N`Zog when we needed a tackler in midfield, loans out Makoun and gets in Jenas ( don't even let me start!! ha-ha! ) Gets shot of Lukey Young and gets in my opinion an "average" Hutton, we still persist to keep Ireland and I do appreciate how hard it is to sell players ( not our best ones though but outside factors did play a part in a few ) but how many more chances does this "profesional need!!! One shot on target and that was the traffic cone Collins in around the 89th minute it was moribund , no movement couldn't even string two passes together Bolton's reserves destroyed us, Petrov thinks he's lampard, Dunne and Collins need a silver bullet, Delf and Gabby are Championship at best and our midfield got over ran time and time again, but don't worry we're tighter at the back apparently?!?!

We're on a hiding to nothing nearer Christmas, honestly Craig I wouldn't be surprised if our sponsors pulled the plug as we were using them for far east exposure it's shocking!! the football is beyond negative.  :( Plus the shambles that was the appointment of McLeish I wouldn't put any money on Randy getting it right again, we need Steve Stride back in the boardroom not the wet blanket that's Faulkner we're a mess! No football men at the top!!!!!"

Not here to stir just posting the opinion of a 50yr supporting Villa fan and he's my grandad so don't be too harsh :P

do you think he's got a point about bringing in a "Steve Stride" type apoointment and apologies for the long post.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2011, 10:36:47 AM »
The finger has to be pointed at the players imo. I'm sick of changing managers and frankly i wouldn't rate Ferguson's chances of motivating some of the individuals in our squad.

Offline Maradona10

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2011, 10:39:44 AM »
I'm sorry all this about money not being spent is garbage, fact is we have a better squad than he had with Birmingham but he is serving up the same tripe he did with them. We lack width for a 4-5-1, he needs to change it to a 4-3-3. With Jenas, Petrov, Delph in the middle, with N'Zogbia given a free role to roam behind Bent and Gabby, I can understand away from home try 4-5-1 but at home we should not be playing in this way. Yes we lost Young and Downing, huge losses however we are a mid-table side and we should be playing like one but we're playing like a team looking at relegation. It's a joke, McLeish hasn't a clue, 87mins for 1 shot on goal is abysmal i'm afraid and it's the way he sets the team up. The buck lies with the manager, it lied with Houllier last season so it lies with McLeish, he still has a decent team to be doing better.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2011, 10:50:53 AM »
I'm sorry all this about money not being spent is garbage, fact is we have a better squad than he had with Birmingham but he is serving up the same tripe he did with them.
From what I've seen I think we're much worse at this moment in time

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2011, 11:01:52 AM »
I have a real conundrum.

I have worked in London for 16 years now, and have 2 boys aged 6 and 8 who were born down south.

I was adamant that I wouldn't buy them anything other than Villa stuff, and wouldn't take them to anything other than Villa games. Their friends support Arsenal, Chelsea etc. but I am desparately keen for them to follow the true path aof light and virtue.

It is becoming increasingly clear however that I may well be setting them up for a life of despair and misery. I was thinking of taking them to their first Villa game (Wigan at home - our best chance of a result and so the best chance of inoctrinating them).

Offline WA Villan

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2011, 11:09:38 AM »
We have to many players who are to comfortable with where they are in their careers. We have a lot of players who are content with their lot, happy to tread water and earn good wages. Villa at the moment is like an old soft comfortable settee for these players.

Offline Merv

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2011, 11:10:54 AM »

Ooooh, no. He's in for the long haul, IMO. He's doing exactly what he was brought in to do.

Offline Maradona10

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2011, 11:14:37 AM »
I'm sorry all this about money not being spent is garbage, fact is we have a better squad than he had with Birmingham but he is serving up the same tripe he did with them.
From what I've seen I think we're much worse at this moment in time

We shouldn't be is the point!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal