collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Football performance under McLeish  (Read 21866 times)

Offline taylorsworkrate

Re: Football performance under McLeish
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 10:45:55 PM »
Is nil-nil at home to the Wolves a decent result?
Nope.

Neither is a draw at home to Newcastle. 

Offline Compass

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 10:52:16 PM »
Hmm, let's see.

N'Zogbia is a flop so far. McLeish bought him.
Albirghton is doing poorly. Houllier did better with him.
Makoun was sent on loan to bring Jenas (wow!!!) who's injured straight away.
He keeps playing Delph who's in poor form (Bannan is the better alternative)

Fair enough Downing and Young being sold wasn't his fault.

It's not just the midfield players though. It's the tactics. Delph and N'Zogbia would shine more if they had a free role, but at the moment they're playing too deep and they look pathetic, N'Zogbia especially.

And yes, Wolves was a decent result seeing as we lost against them at home last season and drew in the season before that one.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 10:52:38 PM »
He should without question have been given another 10 million to spend with parameters that the players brought into the club were young and thus could enhance their reputation to be sold at profit, as the midfield is not strong enough. Makoun was not the answer IMO, and was pretty average in the games he played last season, but Blues midfield of ferguson, Bowyer and Gardner were stronger than our right now.

We need to pray Jenas brings his best form as we need him to badly. Delph, Jenas and Petrov might need to start together to give us a foothold in a game to go forward.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 10:57:09 PM »
He should without question have been given another 10 million to spend with parameters that the players brought into the club were young and thus could enhance their reputation to be sold at profit, as the midfield is not strong enough. Makoun was not the answer IMO, and was pretty average in the games he played last season, but Blues midfield of ferguson, Bowyer and Gardner were stronger than our right now.

We need to pray Jenas brings his best form as we need him to badly. Delph, Jenas and Petrov might need to start together to give us a foothold in a game to go forward.

yep. never rated jenas but we better hope he's wound  up to prove some people wrong. After tonight i've given up on Ireland ever coming good.

Offline petegoldring

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 10:59:10 PM »
And yes, Wolves was a decent result seeing as we lost against them at home last season and drew in the season before that one.

kinda says it all really when a fucking awful 0-0 draw with Wolves is seen as a good result.

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 11:02:37 PM »
Hmm, let's see.

N'Zogbia is a flop so far. McLeish bought him.
Albirghton is doing poorly. Houllier did better with him.
Makoun was sent on loan to bring Jenas (wow!!!) who's injured straight away.
He keeps playing Delph who's in poor form (Bannan is the better alternative)

N'zogbia being slated after what 5 games and barely any pre-season? Whatever
Albrighton faded last season
Makoun wasn't played by monsiour houllier last season
Delph has looked good to me, its heskey bannan should replace

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 11:08:03 PM »
I would not have trusted him with another £10m

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 11:08:57 PM »
Things can only get better. I hope.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2011, 11:43:05 PM »
I didn't see the match, but the problem under McLeish has been the team hasn't looked anything like a coherent unit so far. The performance against Blackburn was good, but they looked even more disjointed in that match. The core of the problem is the midfield, as noted many times. I hope that McLeish has an idea of how to solve this, if not I can't see us picking up many points. We will, however, be scrambling for a tough-tackling midfielder with PL experience in January. The immediate answer is to try Clarke or maybe even Gardner in a midfield three.

Offline KRS

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2011, 01:32:03 AM »
We are absolutely clueless going forward...one shot on target against Bolton reserves with almost a full strength first XI at home??? I didnt see all of the Newcastle game but reports suggest we didnt create much in front of goal either? Fucking pathetic.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2011, 02:36:47 AM »
The one positive about tonight is that he surely must realise that the centre of midfield needs a drastic rethink. The signs have been there in each game this season, and how utterly overrun we've been at times.
Presumably he wanted to give the Petrov-Delph axis a run (I know Fabian didn't play tonight).
We're kind of fucked for options for the anchorman we need (forget Reo-Coker, I wouldn't mind having Hogg back right now), so surely he'll put three midfield, maybe giving Clark his head there alongside Jenas and Petrov (who I'm resigned to thinking will be an ever-present).

Offline Zhong Yi

• Let's All Have A Disco....la la la la
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2011, 05:17:50 AM »
losing 2-0 to Bolton?

It has started.

Offline Corleone

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2011, 06:25:52 AM »

]

By that logic , Man united will be ecstatic if they manage to scrape a draw at Old Trafford against Wolves as they lost against them last season

Offline django

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2011, 09:44:27 AM »
When I looked at the kind run of opening fixtures i thought that maybe a bit of false confidence could be gained by riding high in the league and scoring a few goals before we faced anyone decent.

The lack of goals/chances and the way our midfield has been overrun by some pretty average teams is a cause for serious concern. The worry now is that if our players are struggling for confidence already, and performing badly, what shape are we going to be in when we have a run of tough games?

Also it's not as if we have a load of superstars sitting on the bench who can be brought in*. It is going to rely on tactical and coaching changes from Mcleish and so far there is no evidence that he is capable of doing it. I made a post when he was appointed that the justification from the board was based on a lot of 'what ifs' and crossing of fingers and that there was very little evidence on his CV to back up this faith. Now that he is here we just have to ride this out and hope that he can do something different.

*It says it all that on WM they were calling for Gardner to be brought on to change the fortunes of what was not far off being our first team. He has a lot of potential but bringing kids into the team with that level of expectation could destroy them

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2011, 09:48:41 AM »
The one positive about tonight is that he surely must realise that the centre of midfield needs a drastic rethink. The signs have been there in each game this season, and how utterly overrun we've been at times.
Presumably he wanted to give the Petrov-Delph axis a run (I know Fabian didn't play tonight).
We're kind of fucked for options for the anchorman we need (forget Reo-Coker, I wouldn't mind having Hogg back right now), so surely he'll put three midfield, maybe giving Clark his head there alongside Jenas and Petrov (who I'm resigned to thinking will be an ever-present).

what worries me is how the fan can see it , yet these so called experts with their coaching teams who are being paid bloody good money can't ..

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal