collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Houlier on Talksport in a minute and Dion tonight ..  (Read 12929 times)

Offline QBVILLA

Re: Houlier on Talksport in a minute and Dion tonight ..
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2011, 06:50:04 AM »
How was Houllier a disaster?

Well taking a side who'd finished 6th the previous season with the club's best ever points haul from a 38 game season into a relegation battle which lasted until May is my main gripe.His ability to fall out with a number of players, the Anfield love in, the FA Cup surrender.Turning up and telling us (O'Leary esque) that we were a mid table side despite three successive 6th place finishes.Fair enough there were some good results, but that has to be balanced up by mentioning such non performances as Wolves and Sunderland at home?
I wouldn't wish ill health on the man, but i'd be lying if I said i'm sad to see him out of our club.On par with McNeill for me.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2011, 07:22:16 AM »

Well taking a side who'd finished 6th the previous season with the club's best ever points haul from a 38 game season into a relegation battle which lasted until May is my main gripe.His ability to fall out with a number of players, the Anfield love in, the FA Cup surrender.Turning up and telling us (O'Leary esque) that we were a mid table side despite three successive 6th place finishes.Fair enough there were some good results, but that has to be balanced up by mentioning such non performances as Wolves and Sunderland at home?
I wouldn't wish ill health on the man, but i'd be lying if I said i'm sad to see him out of our club.On par with McNeill for me.

Funny you should mentionzsunderland and wolves at home as these were exectly the  fixtures that we used to get nothing in under O'Neill.  Houllier had massive bade points last year but I'll always look back on it being yet again our missed opportunity with a foreign manager to really progress.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2011, 08:13:46 AM »

Houllier had massive bade points last year but I'll always look back on it being yet again our missed opportunity with a foreign manager to really progress.

I'm not so sure it was a missed opportunity as such. He would'nt have been able to carry on even if he wanted to.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2011, 08:28:02 AM »
I think that is right Clampy.  I've not read the preceding 3 pages but the part of the interview (or a recent interview) that the wider press has picked up on is that he is not fit enough to manage now and doubts he will ever manage full time again.

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2011, 11:43:19 AM »
The more time that passes, the worse his mistakes look.

It's called hindsight. A more nuanced view might take into account that he tried to have us playing decent football, that he experienced one of the worst injury crisis in living memory and that several players didn't actually spend the pre-season getting into shape. Some of his ideas were good, but his implementation was poor. But to say that Houllier was crap, or a disaster, is biased and one-sided, to say the least, and there is yet little indication that we are better off without him. (People might like to point to our improved defence, but we conceded 12 goals in the last 10 matches of the Houllier/GMac period, which is not much worse than 4 in 5 matches if you factor in the turgid performances and the quality of the opposition so far this season.)
=========================================================

Houllier was a walking talking disaster turning a Top 6 club into relegation fodder at one point with his side kick McDuff (very good coach?) where? This is in a season where only Cit-eh and Albyion really improved on the previous season.
And before those last 10 games? Conceding 1 at home to Wolves and scoring none. Remember that one? Sending a team out to lose v Cit-eh in the Cup. Is that biased?
I will wager with you that we will get more than 49 points this year and not lose as badly in the Cup with that disgraceful approach. Therefore we will be better off with a worse squad. The guy is arrogant beyond belief - he was brought in to qualify for World Cup with France, win the League with Liverpool and consolidate with Villa. Add Abject to the List of adjectives. Failure with a Big F

Couldnt agree more Rob Bridge.

Claiming that saying Houllier was a disaster in hidsight is b******s! I and many others knew he would be an awful appointment from the get go. It just got worse and worse, like a very slow car crash.

I am happier having McLeish (who I am not happy with). At least he has restored some of the qualities we had under MON and belief in a lot of the players.

Funny you should mention MON, as Houllier achieved just one less point at Villa Park than MON did in what many refer to as his 'bestest season', despite coming in as a new manager, missing out on the summer transfer windsow, the player fall-outs and injury crisis.

As for Ashley Young, he was a loose cannon for us last season, a shadow of the player he'd previously been. Ferguson has brought some discipline to his game and when combined with the 100% effort and talent he has, he's back to being a great player.

We actually finished 16 points worse off...that was with him being able to sign a 20+ million striker.

I really never bought into the "he is trying to make us play better football" bulls***. At times it looked good, but only against rubbish teams like Blackburn.

There was just so many things wrong with him, I dont know where to start.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal