collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Prem v Bundesliga - Are we doing something wrong?  (Read 20155 times)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Re: Prem v Bundesliga - Are we doing something wrong?
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2011, 05:10:21 PM »
i don't follow the Bundesliga but will take other's word thats its more competitivie and more open. but the stamp of how good a countries national league is how they do in the European cup and unfortunately they haven't won it in 10 years with only 2 different teams making it to the final in that period. Compare that to the PL who've won it twice in that period with 4 different teams getting to the final. To me that says you've got a lot of average sides all of the same standard rather than a lot of quality sides who can take on the best. Ideally you'd want a league where its competitive AND they win in Europe but i'm not sure how you go about that to be honest.

All true although the only reason 'our' teams have got to the CL final more times is that our TV deal is bigger, with Germany having a large, wealthy population seemingly still in love with football, how long is the imbalance going to last before Murdoch gets his claws in?

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2011, 09:08:40 AM »
I don't know for certain but I'm fairly sure that English football has also got significantly more 'meaningful' tiers of divisions than our European counterparts.  I'm sure I read/heard somewhere that in England more people per capita attend football matches than any other European country.  That's a more important and healthy statistic for English football than purely focusing on the top flight as the be all it makes it self out.

This is a really good point, Bren'd. I imagine the fact that thousands of people also go and follow other sports of a weekend might be a factor as well.

Nev's comment from the 19th of September, which has already been quoted by several people, so I won't do it again, was spot on as well.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2011, 08:48:41 AM »

A revolution is needed.  I read recently that Sevilla's owner was getting together a group of Spanish clubs to try and mitigate the massive financial advantages the big 2 have over there,  which makes the others also rans before a ball is kicked.  Unfortunatley the cannon fodder clubs here are all getting loads of Sky money and seem unwilling to risk it by getting together and pulling out of the PL and forming their own league on a fairer basis.

In essence the SKY deal is not *that* unfair wherein the money is shared over all the clubs.  In Spain the clubs negotiate their deals independently so Barça and Madrid get shed loads more than the rest of the league.  It's a real shame, tragedy even, but I cannot see anyway that it can be reversed.

I vaguely remember when the premier league was launched and (to paraphrase) this influx of money was going to result in cheaper match tickets, free away travel, investment in youth schemes etc.  The reality is that it has been hoovered up by players and agents.  It's a real shame but sadly I cannot see it changing anytime soon.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 08:52:56 AM by Dante Lavelli »

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2011, 12:29:27 PM »
Interesting article about Bayern and the new financial fair play rules.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2042168/Bayern-Munichs-Manuel-Neuer-shows-little-fair-play-money-talk-MARTIN-SAMUEL.html#ixzz1Z9QzuQ9a

Not such fair play from Bayern's stopper Neuer and all his money talk
By MARTIN SAMUEL

When the inevitable moment came, Bayern Munich goalkeeper Manuel Neuer was  diplomatic, yet effortlessly on-message.

Asked to assess the Champions League tie between Bayern and Manchester City in financial fair play terms, a battle between the old European order and its evil usurper, new money, Neuer instinctively assumed an air of superiority.
‘I think every club has its own philosophy and I can only speak of ours, which is to get in a lot of good young German players,’ he said. ‘They go with the good German players that are already here and as you can see it seems to work very well for us.’

He made it sound so noble, so altruistic, almost a national calling. The reality is a very rich club, with wealth established over many decades, solving their problems by throwing money around.
Bayern Munich are a great club but, like those other self-proclaimed saints of the modern game in Europe, Barcelona, is it not as if they operate on a superior moral plane once that pretence is stripped away.

Take the arrival of Neuer. He is not Munich’s own but a product of the youth system at Schalke 04 in Gelsenkirchen, where he made more than 200 appearances for Under 23 and first teams before announcing he would not renew his contract, which expired at the end of the 2011-12 season.
Despite interest from abroad, notably Manchester United, Neuer made it clear that his preferred destination was Munich. With Schalke forced to sell a year early rather than let their prime asset go for free, a fee was agreed of roughly £18million, making him the third most expensive goalkeeper of all time.
That Munich were able to pay this, rather than wait 12 months and sign Neuer for nothing, did not pass without comment in  Germany. Rudi Voller, sporting director at Bayer Leverkusen, drew comparison with the most powerful clubs in Spain.
‘We should not close our eyes when it comes to Munich’s financial strength,’ he said. ‘They purchase a goalkeeper for nearly £20m and he only has a one-year contract with Schalke. Not even Real Madrid have done such a thing.’
It is the shape of things to come in German football. There is a  reason Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, Bayern’s chief executive officer, is such an eager advocate of UEFA’s financial fair play laws. When the dust settles after their implementation, Bayern Munich will quite probably be the most powerful club in European football.

The economic powerhouse team of the economic powerhouse  country, creating revenue that will eclipse the spending power of every rival, certainly inside  Germany, but possibly beyond.

Bayern Munich’s defence has been outstanding this season. Since their loss to Borussia Monchengladbach on the opening day of the Bundesliga campaign, they have played nine games in all competitions and scored 26 goals without conceding once. Much of the defensive strength has been due to the form of goalkeeper Manuel Neuer, the 25-year-old Germany No 1 signed from Schalke 04 in the summer.

The most recent European money list made Bayern Munich a top-four club, but that does not tell the whole story. Bayern’s  commercial revenues alone, minus prize money or transfer profits, are substantial enough to have  justified a place in the top 10.

In 2009-10, when the last  figures were published, they earned £150m commercially - more than the entire revenue stream at Manchester City, or even at a Champions League regular such as Olympique Lyonnais of France. Their nearest commercial rival in Europe would be Real Madrid, who earn £17.3m less. Manchester United, with the greatest commercial revenue in the Premier League, trail Munich by £63.91m. 

Manchester City represent a different model to the one employed at the Allianz Arena
Sponsorship and marketing make up just under half of Munich’s total commercial pot, bringing in £72m, mainly due to the benefits of being not just the biggest club in Germany, but the only Bundesliga club with a global profile.
Munich have a unique selling point and their commercial tie-ups are blue chip: Deutsche Telekom, Audi, adidas. The Deutsche Telekom shirt sponsorship was the most lucrative in Europe until Barcelona struck oil in Qatar.
So what is the long-term plan? Bayern Munich financial director Karl Hopfner claims that Munich are financial fair play compliant now and within five years could be in a position to spend the £80m that Real Madrid paid Manchester United for Cristiano Ronaldo. Munich’s reputation is for conservatism in the transfer market. Flexing their muscles as the financial superpower of the European game, that could be about to change.

‘There is generally no limit for transfers,’ said Hopfner. ‘But there may be a psychological barrier. Yet why should we put a limit?
‘The first thing we must ask ourselves is whether we should bring an £80m player and whether we can afford him. Currently, we cannot do that, because it would breach financial fair play rules. However, who knows how things will stand in five years?’
This is what is driving Rummenigge’s campaign to have the new regulations enforced vigorously. Unless clubs such as Manchester United can almost double commercial revenue streams, all that stands in Munich’s way is outside investment at an emerging rival such as Manchester City.

If Rummenigge, in his position as acting chairman of the European Club Association, can successfully lobby to have City tied up in knots by UEFA, Munich’s elevation will be as good as unopposed.
‘It is not just about Manchester City, there are teams in other countries with debts, like Real Madrid, Barcelona and Valencia,’ said Jupp Heynckes, the Munich coach.
‘What I would say is Munich is very economically sound, very intelligent and they have proved with the way they have managed their business that this can make a club very successful on the pitch.’
A record that saw Munich last lose a game or concede a goal on August 7 is evidence of that. If the club can get their way with UEFA’s help, however, the golden era is only just beginning.

Read more:

Offline seanthevillan

• pick our team
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2011, 05:36:46 PM »
I don't know for certain but I'm fairly sure that English football has also got significantly more 'meaningful' tiers of divisions than our European counterparts.  I'm sure I read/heard somewhere that in England more people per capita attend football matches than any other European country.  That's a more important and healthy statistic for English football than purely focusing on the top flight as the be all it makes it self out.

I was going to write something along those lines, Brend. The lower league clubs here in Germany get nowhere near as many fans through the turnstiles every week. I know that the Sheffield clubs and Leeds are slightly special circumstances, but getting 27/28'000 in the third tier would never happen. The population is much bigger but a third support Bayern, and the rest are divided round the other biggest clubs.

Two weeks ago I was in Dortmund to see them lost to Hertha, and the ticket cost €13.50. That plus splitting petrol for a thousand kilometer round trip between four cost about the same as a ticket at Old Trafford cost me a few years back (4-0 - when Ronaldo scored that back heel).

I was stood on the Sudtribune and the atmosphere for the game, which had no rivalry or big impact on the league, was better than any non-derby game I can remember, and actually probably better than the last one last season! Ok the megaphone guy can get a bit annoying, but at times when they all started whistling it was actually too loud to bear. Everyone stands with their mates, can move around and there's even a big difference outside the ground - you can just walk round with a beer for 2 euros without any trouble.

The only other stadium I've been to is the Olympiastadion in Berlin and the running track sort of ruins it, though apart from that its got all the same things going for it (standing, cheap tickets, relaxed atmosphere in and around the stadium, free travel etc etc).

Its a great league and the football can be quite entertaining (as long as no Lucien Favre team is involved). Ok its not Villa, but its nice to go to a game without the constant nagging feeling that you're being completely fleeced.

Offline seanthevillan

• pick our team
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2011, 05:38:33 PM »
Oh, forgot to write that the the Swiss Rambler goes into a lot of detail, but explains the differences in revenue really well here.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal