collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What's the point of Collins?  (Read 17474 times)

Offline Compass

What's the point of Collins?
« on: September 18, 2011, 07:49:22 PM »
He cannot tackle, has no pace, goes down too easily, can't read the ball correctly and finds himself out of position alot. It appears he enjoys hoofing the ball way too much that's the worst out of the lot. How can he pick up so much wages every week without having any guilt that he has no football ability? Why is it he always starts in our team but can't get off the Wales bench? He always looks lost and hopeless on the pitch.

It seems he has too much power in the dressing room because there's no other reason why a manager would pick him even over someone like Clark who actually has football talent and could really blend well with Given and Dunne by his side. It actually makes me sick we've gone from good defenders such as Laursen, Mellberg to this troublesome waste of space who must be thinking it's the lottery every week with the money he's on.

Now it looks like he could be getting a 2 year extension if McLeish gets his way.  :o

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
Re: What's the point of Collins?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 07:50:14 PM »
I think he's been good this season, just wish he'd stop pining the ball down the field.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 07:52:50 PM »
I think he's a great CB and partners Dunne effectively.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 07:58:57 PM »
He cannot tackle, has no pace, goes down too easily, can't read the ball correctly and finds himself out of position alot. It appears he enjoys hoofing the ball way too much that's the worst out of the lot. How can he pick up so much wages every week without having any guilt that he has no football ability? Why is it he always starts in our team but can't get off the Wales bench? He always looks lost and hopeless on the pitch.

It seems he has too much power in the dressing room because there's no other reason why a manager would pick him even over someone like Clark who actually has football talent and could really blend well with Given and Dunne by his side. It actually makes me sick we've gone from good defenders such as Laursen, Mellberg to this troublesome waste of space who must be thinking it's the lottery every week with the money he's on.

Now it looks like he could be getting a 2 year extension if McLeish gets his way.  :o

Yes but he's got a great haircut

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 07:59:11 PM »
I have a friend who is a Villa fan, is a football and futsal coach and spends all his spare time doing tactical analysises of football matches. All I have to do to get him in a bad mood is to utter the words 'James Collins'.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 08:06:07 PM »
I have a friend who is a Villa fan, is a football and futsal coach and spends all his spare time doing tactical analysises of football matches. All I have to do to get him in a bad mood is to utter the words 'James Collins'.

I should mention Broadmoor.... ;)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 08:12:55 PM »

I believe he speaks highly of you, too.
Seriously, I think he's adequate but would prefer to see Clarke playing at CB.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 08:17:44 PM »
He provides some much needed muscle in the side.  And as for "Why is it he always starts in our team but can't get off the Wales bench?"  He's played 39 games in the last 7 years for his country and captained them on several occasions.  He'd stick his head in front of a moving bus and scores some valuable goals.

Offline gervilla

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 09:16:41 PM »
His distribution is cack but I wouldn't go so far as to say he's shite. He's no Paul McGrath but then again,who else  is ?
He'd bust a gut for us and I'm happy enough with him beside Dunne. He is a fighter, just like Dunne is.
Clarkes time will come.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
Collins and Dunne < Laursen + randomer (i.e Zat/Curtis)

Offline villan1975

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 09:34:30 PM »
I think he's a great CB and partners Dunne effectively.
I refer you to my God post.
Great?

Offline Summers

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 10:30:10 PM »

I couldn't disagree more. He's good in the tackle, has deceptive pace, is rarely beaten in the air, throws himself at everything and isn't afraid to stride forward if he has to. He isn't McGrath, but no one is. He plays well with Dunne, and he gives everything for the Villa. As much as I rate Clark for the future, I'd no way start him ahead of Collins right now.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 10:39:40 PM »
Compass, I'll have a pint of whatever you've been drinking.

Offline Caiphus

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 10:40:33 PM »
I think he actually has a pretty good range of passing, as long as he keeps it on the ground. He should pick 15yard passes more often then trying to play 50 yard diagonal balls. He had a bad year last year along with 75% of the team but looks like he is trying to make ammends now.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 10:43:58 PM »
He's the least-skillful half of a centre-back duo. See also Chris Nicholl, Ken McNaught, Shaun Teale. What was the point of them?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal