collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Quote from Bent  (Read 20441 times)

Offline Vanilla

Quote from Bent
« on: September 18, 2011, 03:41:41 PM »
The following is a quote from Darren Bent's  interview with the Daily Mirror on Sat 17th Sep:

'Simply, we have to find the right formation for the team to be solid and offensive. The gaffer is looking at different alternatives and hopefully it will work. It is about finding a system where we are a lot ore dangerous and potent. When you are a striker you are used to scoring left, right and centre - and when the ball is not coming and you are not getting as many opportunities, it is going to play on your mind'

A cry for help; a dig at the manager; just stating what the problems are at Villa at the moment or a striker making his excuses?

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Quote from Bent
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 03:44:28 PM »
I'd wager this isn't the first time Bent has voiced such concerns, after McLeish's "I'm sure Bent would like Bannan to play" comment. I really cannot understand the negativity of the tactics at the moment.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 03:54:14 PM »
I think it is elements of all of those. I think Bent would like a change of tactics and there is some degree of us needing to find a formation that works. Yesterday he had Bannan (as one would anticipate from McLeish's comments last week) in the side and he had his two chances both of which he missed so he is definitely attempting to get excuses in for that.

Bent's form this season is a strange one. Is Bent not bothered and looking for a move? Is he lacking fitness or form? Do our tactics not suit him? I think it is the second of those but you could justify any of them.

Offline Nigel Macdougall

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 03:57:09 PM »
The beginning of the  end, he'll be gone in January.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 03:57:55 PM »
Bent looks like he is half-injured and lacking fitness. I don't think that he's losing interest or is looking for a move (yet).

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 04:03:19 PM »
I fear Mcleish will point to being unbeaten while we are as a reason that his tactics are working.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 04:05:36 PM »
I really cannot understand the negativity of the tactics at the moment.

Negativity or players just not performing? We all wanted Bannan in yesterday, we got him and apart from the first 30 minutes, we got the run around until the 70th minute. It might help if the defence stop hoofing it, the real N'Zogbia turns up, Petrov stops thinking he's a box to box midfielder, Delph stops giving the ball away and Bannan stops trying to change the game with every single ball. We also need Bent and Gabby to stop running into the same positions when the ball occasionally gets crossed into the box. Oh and Shay Given stops booting the ball up front when almost every time the Newcastle central defenders win the header and their midfielders pick it up.

More than anything, there needs to be more movement off the ball. I lost count yesterday of the amount of times we had a throw in or a player on the ball and nobody wanted it or made themselves available.

Offline Monty

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 04:11:26 PM »
Negativity or players just not performing? We all wanted Bannan in yesterday, we got him and apart from the first 30 minutes, we got the run around until the 70th minute. It might help if the defence stop hoofing it, the real N'Zogbia turns up, Petrov stops thinking he's a box to box midfielder, Delph stops giving the ball away and Bannan stops trying to change the game with every single ball. We also need Bent and Gabby to stop running into the same positions when the ball occasionally gets crossed into the box. Oh and Shay Given stops booting the ball up front when almost every time the Newcastle central defenders win the header and their midfielders pick it up.

More than anything, there needs to be more movement off the ball. I lost count yesterday of the amount of times we had a throw in or a player on the ball and nobody wanted it or made themselves available.

I don't think you can divorce style from system. McLeish is proving particularly frustrating at the minute: first he plays the right 4-2-3-1 system but with the wrong player - Heskey - in the hole, then he plays the right player, bringing Bannan in for the injured Heskey, but plays an unsuitable 4-4-2. We were starved of options off the ball, one player too many up front which always meant a shortfall elsewhere, meaning we couldn't keep possession. Bannan, flung out wide, didn't get enough of the ball to influence the game, and every time he did there was no movement around him.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 04:17:44 PM »
Agree, Monty but for a 4-2-3-1 to work the first thing we have to do is get Petrov to play as a defensive midfielder and guide Delph along. Problem is, he now thinks he's bloody Frank Lampard.

Offline Monty

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 04:19:52 PM »
I too am surprised by Petrov's new-found license to get forward. I would be more surprised if he's not going on some sort of management instruction. As he showed with his clever disguised pass to Bent (who has no excuse really with that one) he can be very useful in forward situations, but you're right, he should learn to pick his runs forward more.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 04:23:27 PM »
Problem is, he now thinks he's bloody Frank Lampard.

What,slow and pass his best? Sounds familiar!

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 04:26:25 PM »
Interesting comments when you consider he missed two sitters yesterday.

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 04:26:38 PM »
I fear Mcleish will point to being unbeaten while we are as a reason that his tactics are working.

Sadly I think you have that exactly right.

Mark Lawrenson pointed out on MOTD that Villa, like Newcastle are a team that has sold high end players, and got in low end replacements, and perhaps that is the way forward for teams like Villa and Newcastle etc.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 04:29:38 PM »
Bent looked a bit lost yesterday in my view. I hope he is not seen as a Houllier man by McLeish as he's our 'star man' for want of a better description.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 04:31:04 PM »
A cry for help; a dig at the manager; just stating what the problems are at Villa at the moment or a striker making his excuses?

He's been asked a question. It's something the club knows all too well and they are working on the right system to get him the ball as much as possible. A cry for help is very dramatic. It's a man doing his job and likeall of us he is a little frustrated right now. I don't think it's a dig at the manager at all and I certainly don't think he'll be sold.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal