collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Dante Lavelli
[Today at 09:45:57 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 09:42:19 AM]

FFP by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:14:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Newcastle United Post-Match Thread  (Read 56609 times)

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
Re: Aston Villa v Newcastle United Post-Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 04:57:40 PM »
Darren Bent - plainly carrying an injury and off form - rest him.
N'Zogbia - still on his summer break - off form and out of shape - get him fit.
Fabian Delph - distinctly lightweight and errant of pass - out of form - build him up.
John Collins - couldn't make a pass at Angelina Jolie - out of form - sell him please.

Everyone else solid. Gabby starting to buzz again - and Bannan - always value - always looking to create.

And Shay?  The best man in a Villa shirt for years.

But why no Albrighton - always value - and links instinctively with Bannan - and why not give DaFonz a go?

A neutral watching this would have thought we were at St James' Park. We played like the away team. Forcing one save until 71 mins. I hope this is not the plan.
Ah at last - in desperation - but what?  Removing Bannan and Stan and leaving Delph and N'Zog on the park?

I'll never understand.

Awful.

UtV

I thought you always had a bee on your bonnet about people moaning as evinced in some of your tedious threads? I'd say you are being a bit unfair on a few of those players.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 04:57:52 PM »
Removing Bannan and Stan and leaving Delph and N'Zog on the park?

Even listening on the radio this seemed a strange decision.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 04:59:38 PM by N'ot3badbia »

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 04:58:26 PM »
Draw expected, draw got. Dreary.

Next game, draw.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 04:58:31 PM »
Awful, absolute sh1te, have to say it how i see it, if Newcastle where half decent we could have got absolutely obliterated..........again.

Given, Gabby, the rest aren't worth a mention, maybe Bannan did Ok..........

Players that need sorting and quick, Bent, N'zogbia, Delph. They simple aren't playing for us.

Alex McLiesh, tactically looks very very average.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 04:58:32 PM »
Some good periods of play here and there.  But another game where we have been over run in midfield and yet the manager does fuck all to combat this.  These managers fall down on the basics and the obvious - crazy they get so much cash and admiration.  Taking Bazza of was plain stupid.

I want to see Zog and Delph dropped next game and Clark in to bolster the middle.   If he brings back EH I will self combust.

Offline ez

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2011, 05:00:44 PM »
Holding out for a draw in the last 3 games now.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2011, 05:00:44 PM »
A very dull, average match between two very dull, average teams.  The only thing that suprises me about our crippling mediocrity is that i'm still suprised by it.

If anything Newcastle can feel slightly aggrieved they didn't win.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2011, 05:01:02 PM »
Fucking abysmal...we let an average team control the game almost completely. There's no conviction to our play at all, no one to take responsibility. Petrov is anonymous when he needs to lead Delph. Our full backs look ropey, little service to the strikers, not much movement from the strikers anyway. Another stinker from N'Zogbia.

If we're going to make up the numbers there's probably cheaper ways of doing it than over-paying for the likes of Zog and Hutton. When you're counting on Jermaine Jenas to be your saviour there is something very wrong.

Unbeaten, wahey. A season full of playing counter-attacking football at home to make Martin O'Neill look like a master attacking tactician.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2011, 05:02:31 PM »
A very dull, average match between two very dull, average teams.  The only thing that suprises me about our crippling mediocrity is that i'm still suprised by it.

If anything Newcastle can feel slightly aggrieved they didn't win.

Of the bar, how many first class saves from Given.....................If I was a Geordie fan i would be crying into my soup.....

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2011, 05:02:42 PM »
just utterly awful muck. Newcastle with possibly the 2 or 3 worst strikers in the EPL should still have beaten us comfortably. Hutton was much better today as was Warnock. Dunne made a bad mistake for the goal but Collins and himself are a solid partnership. Given was excellent again, brilliant save at the end. Gabby scored a good goal and also another great turn and shot at the start of the second half. Bannan was tidy on the ball but playing him on the right is a cop out anyway.
Evidence yet again, that Gabby and Bent will not work. Bent is woefully off form anyway at present. Nzogbia is lost at present. Delph was pathetic today I thought with Petrov not far behind. The ease in which Tiote and Cabaye destroyed them in midfield was frightening really. We do not have the personnel to play with only 2 in midfield. We havent had in over 5 years so why do we do it? Embarrassing stuff from McLeish that he couldnt see that the formation needed to be changed.
The football we played was from another era frankly. Nothing in midfield and constant ineffective route one muck. Newcastle at least tried to play the right way but have nothing up front and their widemen despite heaps of possession were poor.
Wait until we play a decent side we will be destroyed.

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2011, 05:04:20 PM »
I told myself when the fixtures were released that even though the opening few fixtures may look 'favourable' on paper, in reality those games will be tough. It turned out that I was right because McLeish prefers to play the "play not to lose" way.

It was so obvious what needed to be done at half-time yet McLeish couldn't figure it out himself.

I know it's only 5 games in but things need to drasticially change under McLeish because it's poor. What i'm watching is the same dour crap I saw small heath play... except we have better players. It's not acceptable, his tactics suck and we're going to keep drawing games against opponents we should really be winning.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 05:10:23 PM by The Situation »

Offline Villanation

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2011, 05:04:45 PM »
Fucking abysmal...we let an average team control the game almost completely. There's no conviction to our play at all, no one to take responsibility. Petrov is anonymous when he needs to lead Delph. Our full backs look ropey, little service to the strikers, not much movement from the strikers anyway. Another stinker from N'Zogbia.

If we're going to make up the numbers there's probably cheaper ways of doing it than over-paying for the likes of Zog and Hutton. When you're counting on Jermaine Jenas to be your saviour there is something very wrong.

Unbeaten, wahey. A season full of playing counter-attacking football at home to make Martin O'Neill look like a master attacking tactician.

Exactly, I predict we will get to mid season and we'll be the first Premiership club draping banners down from the stand saying " Martin, Please come back we love you"

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2011, 05:05:36 PM »
A good team are going to tear us to pieces the way we are at the moment.

Even QPR could give us a bit of a tonking next week.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2011, 05:05:54 PM »
Darren Bent - plainly carrying an injury and off form - rest him.
N'Zogbia - still on his summer break - off form and out of shape - get him fit.
Fabian Delph - distinctly lightweight and errant of pass - out of form - build him up.
John Collins - couldn't make a pass at Angelina Jolie - out of form - sell him please.

Everyone else solid. Gabby starting to buzz again - and Bannan - always value - always looking to create.

And Shay?  The best man in a Villa shirt for years.

But why no Albrighton - always value - and links instinctively with Bannan - and why not give DaFonz a go?

A neutral watching this would have thought we were at St James' Park. We played like the away team. Forcing one save until 71 mins. I hope this is not the plan.
Ah at last - in desperation - but what?  Removing Bannan and Stan and leaving Delph and N'Zog on the park?

I'll never understand.

Awful.

UtV
John Collins? - we could have done with him in MF today. Hasn't James Collins just signed a contract-extension? He won't be sold!
I'm afraid Albie still looks way out of sorts; having said that, he maybe needs a start to get him back in the swing of things.
Delph had a poor game but I think we need to persist with him; he will come good, I think.

We're short on options: I hope when JJ is fit we can get him alongside Petrov and BB to get more solidity in CMF. I'd like to see a 4-5-1 set-up.

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2011, 05:06:11 PM »
Very worrying that QPR absolutely battered Newcastle on Monday and should've won, yet we made them look like a good side.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal