collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Playing under Houllier was a chore says Dunne  (Read 19371 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Playing under Houllier was a chore says Dunne
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2019, 09:49:39 PM »
I think a lot of footballers who played under Houllier disliked him. Even those who had a degree of success under him. He was originally a school teacher and it would appear he continued acting like a school teacher when he was a manager. He had no real career as a player and unlike Wenger and Mourinho he didn't have the personality to make up for it. On the other side of the coin we are still waiting to see how well Richard Dunne and Stephen Ireland do as managers.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2019, 09:59:42 PM »
Pretty pathetic from Houllier if true.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2019, 10:11:49 PM »
Houllier was just a very uninspiring appointment for me. Would've been more exciting if we'd appointed him straight after he left Liverpool but he was pretty much dragged out of semi retirement which is never a good sign to come here.

I get it was a difficult time of the season to appoint a manager (although plenty of clubs pick up decent ones mid season) but we had just finished 6th three years running. Fair enough the money tree was being cut down but we still did spend 20m on a striker three months later. I think Houllier appointment were first warning signs Lerner reign was going downhill. Minimal work scouting europe for decent manager not in a job at that point.

Haven't read all of this thread but Stephen Ireland also had his say on Houllier this week. Also add in Carew, Warnock and Friedel who'd all had issues working with him at Liverpool and Lyon and it was never going to end well.

Edit: Ah I see it was a bump this week with the Ireland stuff!

Yes our squad was in major need of surgery but you make those sort of appointments in the summer when you have time to make the changes, not with 8 months of the season still to run.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 10:14:19 PM by SoccerHQ »

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2019, 10:20:04 PM »
Not surprised he was nausing our players out with the fawning Redscouse chat. I was pretty sick of it after a month.

Maybe there's still a role for him up there.

Mascot or summat.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2019, 10:30:05 PM »
I think a lot of footballers who played under Houllier disliked him. Even those who had a degree of success under him. He was originally a school teacher and it would appear he continued acting like a school teacher when he was a manager. He had no real career as a player and unlike Wenger and Mourinho he didn't have the personality to make up for it. On the other side of the coin we are still waiting to see how well Richard Dunne and Stephen Ireland do as managers.

Wenger played top flight football or Strasbourg (only a few times though, I think), which is a different thing entirely from Mourinho.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2019, 10:35:49 PM »
Houllier started the Liverpool wanking in his press conference after we appointed him when he started telling a French journalist the job wasn't on the level of Liverpool, the ******.

And then there was that tapping the badge at Anfield.

Honestly, what a ******.

Offline mike

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2019, 10:49:18 PM »
This sounds pretty damning, but then Stephen Ireland is quite possibly the biggest wanker who ever played for Aston Villa.

Offline Richie

« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2019, 11:10:26 PM »
This sounds pretty damning, but then Stephen Ireland is quite possibly the biggest wanker who ever played for Aston Villa.

That’s quite an accolade. He has some serious competition over recent years !

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2019, 12:28:39 AM »

It's possible for two people not to get along and for both of them to be massive twats. See Donald Trump and John Bolton, for instance.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2019, 02:02:11 AM »

It's possible for two people not to get along and for both of them to be massive twats. See Donald Trump and John Bolton, for instance.

David O'Leary and Tony Cascarino, if we wanted to widen it to encompass global significance.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2019, 07:43:00 AM »
I'd trust anything Stephen Ireland says about as much as one of the current politicians in Westminster.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2019, 08:52:32 AM »

Didn’t he get voted player of the year?

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2019, 08:59:41 AM »
I think certainly after our circumstances declined further, there was a little bit of revisionism about the Houllier season, with some fans saying what a decent job he'd done. Well, he didn't. That season was crap until Bent came in.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2019, 09:10:45 AM »
I seem to remember rumblings about relegation setting in while Houllier was running the team.Then as soon as he had the health problems and that football managing magician Gary McAllister took over, we lost maybe 1 of our last 8, going from something like 16th in the league to 9th. Suggests to me that the quality in the squad was much better than the league position suggested when Houllier was managing them and he was indeed a waste of space and a complete and utter c***.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2019, 09:20:06 AM »
It's been forgotten now, but there was a performance against Sunderland in the New Year where Heskey got sent off, and when they scored their winner the whole of Villa Park sang "you're getting sacked in the morning" at him. Then we signed Bent and managed a bit of momentum. 9th was a false position - winning at Arsenal made us safe but on paper that was an horrific run-in.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal