collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jack and McGinn  (Read 2579 times)

Offline TonyD

Jack and McGinn
« on: September 16, 2019, 10:57:58 PM »
I’ve just posted the question on the post match thread. 

Why, when we have two very very talented midfielders - do they very little  -  if ever - link up and tear teams apart?

They seem to play IMO - miles are apart from each other and rarely pass to each other?

Or is that my own observation?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 11:03:27 PM by TonyD »

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Jack and McGinn
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 11:00:31 PM »
McGinn has been very good so far this season imo. Love the Barry style way he goes into 50/50s with his backside and usually ends up with him coming out with the ball or wins a free kick so works well at this level so far.

More to come from Jack. It's forgotten he started last season pretty poorly. Tonight he was quite good for 70 minutes but seemed to lose it a bit when Jota went off, game became more direct with AEM that side and his passing became very sloppy.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 11:02:19 PM »
Poor movement in front of them.

Although tonight, I'd say Jack was as bad as anyone.

Jota and El Ghazi are not good enough.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 11:02:41 PM »
I think in those two players we have real quality and Smith, I’m afraid, is failing to get the most out of them.

IMO, you’ve hit the nail on the head, we need them playing more centrally and higher up the pitch, much closer to each other. But to do that we probably need two new wide players as Jota and AEG are both fluffing their lines more often than not.

I had hoped having a proper holding MF in luiz and/or Marvelous would allow us to operate higher up the pitch but it seems to have had the opposite effect, weirdly. I can only think it’s because of the chronic lack of width.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 11:04:13 PM »
We need a little ditty 'bout Jack and McGinn.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 11:07:19 PM »
Poor movement in front of them.

Although tonight, I'd say Jack was as bad as anyone.

Jota and El Ghazi are not good enough.

It's clear we're really struggling in the final third with our options. With respect to AEM aswell we saw many games in the championship when he was limited playing on the right of midfield.

DS actually made that change as Felipe Anderson was starting to get plenty of space on the left. Makes the sub and two minutes later West Ham go down to ten men and Anderson gets taken off.

First half I thought El Ghazi was making some nice runs off the shoulder of the LB but he was very poor as any sort of counter attacking outlet in the second half, Jota was better but again got nulified after half time. Think Jack plays better with him on the pitch though.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 01:05:21 AM »
I'd say McGinn is doing his job at the moment, and wasn't the problem tonight.  Jack didn't do his job, and is starting to look like a problem.  It worries me that he was interviewed this week, and says he hasn't reached what he's capable of, and then comes out and has an absolute stinker tonight.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 01:21:02 AM »
I'd say McGinn is doing his job at the moment, and wasn't the problem tonight.  Jack didn't do his job, and is starting to look like a problem.  It worries me that he was interviewed this week, and says he hasn't reached what he's capable of, and then comes out and has an absolute stinker tonight.
Hi Risso
Long time since we dissected the Villa.
But Jack isn’t the problem.  It’s the team formation and tactics. Jack would walk into any top 10 European side and be an absolute superstar. He’s just playing in a side that’s finding its feet with players on level that is a step up.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 01:29:06 AM »
Hate to ask but did McGinn play second half? First half, SJM. Second, El Ghazi.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 01:42:46 AM »
McGinn played his socks off both halves. Tracking back and bursting forward.  Just need him and Jack to develop some kind of offensive cohesion.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 02:10:25 AM »
Jota is a clever player but just too slow for this division.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 02:31:49 AM »
That are playing as 2 of a 3 man midfield.
They do not get the time and space of the 2nd Division, if we started measuring them particularly Jack of how many defensive runs and receiving and passing out of defense they make then the contribution looks different.
To get the best out of both of them they either need to play in a different position or system.
Also some movement in front of them would help.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 07:14:46 AM »
Jota is a clever player but just too slow for this division.

Too slow and too weak.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2019, 07:18:33 AM »
I think Jota is too slow to be played out wide. Through the middle behind the striker would be better but we're not set up for that. I think he's very good personally and he made a couple of cracking passes last night.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2019, 07:49:33 AM »
We had moments of real class last night but are being undone by a stretched formation and some poor individual errors of occasional poor passing and first-touch. But it's the 2-winger game which is killing us, because it is stretching our players and our wingers aren't good enough at this level.
Play 4-2-3-1 and most of the issues are addressed.
With Marvelous (or Hourihane) and Luis palying behind Grealish, McGinn and Jota who play in aupport of Wesley, we get a more compact and attacking set-up which exploits the strengths of all the players involved - and, we can get Guilbert in a more attacking role, going to an effective three at the back wehn we  are in possession.. the current set-up fails to do that and, furthermore, leaves Wesley stranded and Grealish and McGinn knackered after 60-70 minutes.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal