collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 10:15:04 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Ads
[Today at 10:14:50 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:11:13 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Richard E
[Today at 10:08:58 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV82EC
[Today at 10:08:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by rougegorge
[Today at 10:08:09 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Jane
[Today at 10:05:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:04:56 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Manchester - Capital of Football  (Read 57661 times)

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
Re: Manchester - Capital of Football
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 10:16:23 PM »
What really boils my piss  at the moment though is how much the BBC are bigging up the new Salford Quays place.  I don't think there's a day goes by without those c***s mentioning that this programme or that was coming from its new centre in Manchester.  Oh just fuck off I don't care where its made. 

I know exactly what you mean.  The marketing team at Salford City Council must be delighted though.  Their city has had more mentions as a distinct entity, as opposed to being simply lumped in with the rest of the metropolis called 'Manchester', than any time since Lowry's obituaries were published.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 10:21:20 PM »
On the Wednesday of Riot Week I was listening to Five Live and as soon as the Arndale got looted you could tell that was the moment they'd been waiting for and everything else was dropped.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 10:24:53 PM »
On the Wednesday of Riot Week I was listening to Five Live and as soon as the Arndale got looted you could tell that was the moment they'd been waiting for and everything else was dropped.

On the Monday night when Birmingham was getting smashed up the only mention of it you could find on TV was the guy with the handycam on channel 800-and-something.  The main news channels were all showing London.

Within seconds of things kicking off in Manchester they had reporters scattered all over the city interviewing scallies and reporting every moment of it.

Offline brice jovial

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 10:33:09 PM »
Ive never been to manchester, england and have only met two manchester people but they were female.

I saw the rioting on the news and manchester seemed pretty hard core. There also seems to be alot of manc people on tv these days and i find their accent difficult to understand.

Regards football utd are biggest club in world city richest but the capital of football is in the country of brazil. Like this rugby is to new zealand. You have to live it and these areas do, manchester? from what i hear not so sure. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 10:37:55 PM by brice jovial »

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 10:37:13 PM »
Ive never been to manchester, england and have only met two manchester people but they were female.

I saw the rioting on the news and manchester seemed pretty hard core. There also seems to be alot of manc people on tv these days and i find their accent difficult to understand.
Regards football utd are biggest club in world city richest but the capital of football is in the country of brazil. Like this rugby is to new zealand. You have to live it and these areas do manchester from what i hear not so sure. Ive never been to manchester, england and have only met two manchester people but they were female.

Regards football utd are biggest club in world city richest but the capital of football is in the country of brazil. Like this rugby is to new zealand. You have to live it and these areas do manchester from what i hear not so sure.

A Tale of Two Cities...

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 10:37:35 PM »

On the Monday night when Birmingham was getting smashed up the only mention of it you could find on TV was the guy with the handycam on channel 800-and-something.  The main news channels were all showing London.

Within seconds of things kicking off in Manchester they had reporters scattered all over the city interviewing scallies and reporting every moment of it.

Well now only London and the North ( as represented by Manchester) exist in the minds of BBC TV executives what do you expect?  It seems as if the Midlands doesn't exist, its just some mass illusory prank being played on the rest of the country as they travel from the North to the South.  I seem to recall a leader in The Times a couple of years ago bemoaning the fact that the first destination for HS2 would be Birmingham and postulated the view that Manchester then maybe Leeds should be the aim with no requirement for Birmingham or the Midlands to need High speed transport links.  I haven't bought the paper since.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
Within five years ar so the BBC will start an underhand tactical withdrawal of Manchester when they realise that interviewing politicians or celebs down an ISDN line is not the same as having them in the studio.

Much as I dislike it, London is where these people either work or visit and thus it's easy to book them on to shows. The One Show started off at the Mailbox but soon upped sticks to the smoke.

As for the football, both clubs are unrecognisable from 20 years ago and are now the objects of desire for fans who behave like lovesick Japanese school girls.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 10:50:52 PM »
I spoke to a Man City fan a few months ago and asked him what it was like supporting the most disliked team in the country. It was meant in a jokey way but he wasn't having it claiming that most people were pleased for them as no club deserved it more than they did. That pissed me off so I told him the biggest impact of their money was that neutrals now had more time for Manu than them.

And, Mr TV commentators, I don't need to be told that they're doing the Poznan and why every time they do that wanky celebration.

Fuck off Man City, you'll win loads but won't have earned any of it.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2011, 10:52:14 PM »
This is a debate that rears its head fairly regularly on H&V.  Whilst I agree with most of the points, all I'll say is that there's nothing stopping Birmingham promoting itself a lot more effectively than it does now, and that starts with you lot who live there.

Online AV82EC

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2011, 10:54:35 PM »
This is a debate that rears its head fairly regularly on H&V.  Whilst I agree with most of the points, all I'll say is that there's nothing stopping Birmingham promoting itself a lot more effectively than it does now, and that starts with you lot who live there.

And I don't think you'd find many people disagreeing with you Risso, except Birmingham doesn't seem to be able to get its act together on that one.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2011, 11:04:47 PM »

And I don't think you'd find many people disagreeing with you Risso, except Birmingham doesn't seem to be able to get its act together on that one.

I had felt we'd been getting better at it given what Edgbaston have been doing with the new stand and the T20 finals but then the City Council go and bugger it up today by banning the Royal British Legion from collecting in the City Centre the weekend of Remembrance Sunday!!!  The fact they've changed their mind since the national press told everyone about it doesn't repair the damage.

Online AV82EC

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2011, 11:10:13 PM »

I had felt we'd been getting better at it given what Edgbaston have been doing with the new stand and the T20 finals but then the City Council go and bugger it up today by banning the Royal British Legion from collecting in the City Centre the weekend of Remembrance Sunday!!!  The fact they've changed their mind since the national press told everyone about it doesn't repair the damage.

Ah Edgbaston, one thing that does piss all over manchester from a great height is the current standing of the two cricket grounds.  Old Trafford CG is a shithole of the highest order.  I go past it on the tram everyday and snigger at the paucity of its ambition.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2011, 11:10:36 PM »

As with just about every similar story, the whole truth is a bit different. By law they couldn't allow the RBL to collect unless the charities who had been granted permission withdrew their applications.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2011, 11:14:35 PM »
Ah Edgbaston, one thing that does piss all over manchester from a great height is the current standing of the two cricket grounds.  Old Trafford CG is a shithole of the highest order.  I go past it on the tram everyday and snigger at the paucity of its ambition.

I have a client based next door to OTCCG and every time I get there I'm astonished someone signed off the design of that giant red shoebox.  It's horrific, and slightly amusing that they decided to call it 'The Point' and thereby tee-up the obvious 'What's The Point?' comments.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2011, 11:17:56 PM »
As with just about every similar story, the whole truth is a bit different. By law they couldn't allow the RBL to collect unless the charities who had been granted permission withdrew their applications.

It would only have been unlawful because they'd already given permission to someone else and their own licensing rules only allow one charity a licence per day.  Rules they wrote.

Both giving permission to another charity for Remembrance weekend and coming up with that rule in the first place were pretty major cock-ups.  Cock-ups they can't blame anyone else for.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal