collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Job Losses At The Club  (Read 43083 times)

Offline spud1950

Job Losses At The Club
« on: September 14, 2011, 06:35:49 PM »
The Holte pub is to close only to open on matchdays .Also the staff resturant is to close .Resulting in several long term staff losing there jobs .Plus there is more to come

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
Re: Job Losses At The Club
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 06:47:43 PM »
How depressing

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 06:50:08 PM »

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 06:56:50 PM »
The shift in the approach to the club is really depressing.

Randy appeared to start off with a grand plan to make us huge - less than 5 years later it appears the strategy is to keep us ticking along on the bare minimum.

It all feels a bit cheap.  Like what them lot down the road would do.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 06:58:33 PM »
The shift in the approach to the club is really depressing.

Randy appeared to start off with a grand plan to make us huge - less than 5 years later it appears the strategy is to keep us ticking along on the bare minimum.

It all feels a bit cheap.  Like what them lot down the road would do.

Not quite, but it's getting a bit 'Ellis like' .

Offline Yossarian

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 07:05:53 PM »
So very sad

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 07:09:37 PM »
Use it or lose it. 

For reasons of geography, I'd never consider going there other than on match day (not that I do then, mind).   I'd be interested to know how many on here regularly eat and drink there at other times.

Offline MarkM

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 07:11:31 PM »
Just a shame that one weeks salary of some of our players would pay a full years wages for a few of the staff loosing jobs.

It's about time the players (not just ours) took a long hard look at themselves and there wage structure and gave themselves a reality check.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 07:12:46 PM »
Use it or lose it. 

For reasons of geography, I'd never consider going there other than on match day (not that I do then, mind).   I'd be interested to know how many on here regularly eat and drink there at other times.

You're right of course but if they were going to make it work there had to be some other reason to go to the Villa on non-match days.  The museum idea has been suggested for years/decades but nothing has come of it.  The pub is not really the sort of place the locals would use so you have to try to get outsiders in to it.  Short-term it's probably the right thing to do but it is a shame and just demonstrates the shift in strategy around the club.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 07:14:55 PM »
Just a shame that one weeks salary of some of our players would pay a full years wages for a few of the staff loosing jobs.

It's about time the players (not just ours) took a long hard look at themselves and there wage structure and gave themselves a reality check.

Would you if you were in their position?  Revolution is not going to come from the players.  It's either got to come from the authorities (ie mandatory wage-caps NFL-style) or Sky-subscribers (who put the money in to the system in the first place).  Sadly I can't see either doing anything about it.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 07:16:09 PM »
He ha a 5 year plan but it hasn't gone to plan.
Thinking about it what's the Point, we are not a big club if you think about it. We have not got the support to be able to compete with the likes of even Spurs.

Randy must have realised this and thought better of pumping millions millions into a club where a quarter of it's support decide not to bother unless everything's rosie.

He has done loads for Aston Villa yet as soon as he decides we need to go down a more sustainable route he gets stick and thousands of fans disappear.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 07:24:47 PM »
The only way football finances will ever normalise is if a LOT of clubs go bankrupt. And I mean a lot.

As for the jobs losses, while very sad for those concerned, Randy can't be expected to just throw money at areas of the business that aren't performing, for whatever reason.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 07:27:18 PM »
Lets face it pretty much everything is vanishing up its own dusthole at the moment, why should Villa be any differant.

I think RL is probably going through a period of consolidation, get the next couple of seasons out the way and go from there, for all we know he may be looking for new owners so see's no point in any future investments at this point

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 07:34:49 PM »
When it opened, they ran a ridiculous season ticket lottery scheme for matchdays, then in subsequent seasons allowed only season ticket holders who even had to pay to get in. Why didn't they let more people in from the off to build up a customer base, thus encouraging them to come back and telling their friends and family that it might be a nice place to have a Sunday lunch or a midweek meal? The place always looks as if it's closed, even on a matchday.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 07:39:51 PM »
When it opened, they ran a ridiculous season ticket lottery scheme for matchdays, then in subsequent seasons allowed only season ticket holders who even had to pay to get in. Why didn't they let more people in from the off to build up a customer base, thus encouraging them to come back and telling their friends and family that it might be a nice place to have a Sunday lunch or a midweek meal? The place always looks as if it's closed, even on a matchday.

Well said.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal