collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Witton Lane or Doug Ellis?  (Read 24548 times)

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
Re: Witton Lane or Doug Ellis?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 09:37:30 PM »
Only ever known it as the Doug Ellis stand. But would prefer it if it was called Witton Lane. Prefer stands named after roads for some reason

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2011, 09:45:52 PM »
Does anyone still refer to the North Stand as the Witton End?

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2011, 10:56:16 PM »
I used to feel quite strongly about the issue, but now I couldn't care less what it is called. It will always be the Witton Lane to me, and the so called North Stand will be the Witton (End). And the Birmingham End at Edgbaston will be The City End. 

Offline jimmygreen

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2011, 10:58:27 PM »
Witton Lane / North Stand. I am of a certain vintage.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2011, 11:22:11 PM »
There  will be a Witton Lane long after Doug  has departed. Yesterday Witton Lane, today Witton Lane, tomorrow Witton Lane.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 11:24:43 PM »
I used to feel quite strongly about the issue, but now I couldn't care less what it is called. It will always be the Witton Lane to me, and the so called North Stand will be the Witton (End). And the Birmingham End at Edgbaston will be The City End.

renaming the City End  at Edgbaston is stupid ...in my opinion.

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2011, 11:36:50 PM »
My first match was in the Witton Lane stand (standing I might add), so, since I'm a bit of a stubborn bugger as well, it will always be that to me.

Besides, I don't believe that transitory officials who have been involved with the club for only a fraction in time of it's total existence have a right to name stands after themselves. That privilege should be for history to decide, if at all.

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2011, 11:37:39 PM »
'Fraid so.

Offline Handsworth Wood Villa

• TRS-T
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2011, 11:49:40 PM »
Doug Ellis.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2011, 12:06:13 AM »
I'd like it to be called The Whichever Multinational Is Stupid Enough To Give Us £5 million a year For Naming Rights Stand.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2011, 12:14:42 AM »
Should name it after someone important in a positive way in the history of Aston Villa. Either that or rename the others after DOL, Callaghan and Curcic so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2011, 12:22:21 AM »
About ten years ago the late Brian Moore briefly did a show on TalkShite in which he interviewed personalities from the football world, and one week his guest was the esteemed ping-pong champion and inventor of the bicycle kick.  The listeners were invited to phone in with questions for the travel agent, so I called in.  I was doing shift work at the time and hadn't got on air by the time I had to leave for work, so I phoned again and said there was no point in them calling me back, but could they put my question to him anyway.  I was on my way to work when I heard Moore say, "A bit of a spiky question here Doug from one of the listeners, asking why you decided to name a stand after yourself."  I can't remember the exact wording of his long-winded answer but I recall it was a long and flatulent ramble about how the shareholders had voted for the name and he was humbled by it.  Obviously Doug, being Doug, managed to sound anything but humble as he boasted about it.  Hot, thick smarm was pouring out of my radio.  I remember being really annoyed that Moore let him off the hook and moved swiftly on, probably to let Doug challenge the universe to a game of tennis or something.  Is anyone else aware of this shareholder's vote on the name?  Some of our former greats haven't got so much as a banqueting suite named in their honour.  It's a bloody disgrace.  I said it then and I'll say it now.  Grrr.   

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2011, 12:25:54 AM »
About ten years ago the late Brian Moore briefly did a show on TalkShite in which he interviewed personalities from the football world, and one week his guest was the esteemed ping-pong champion and inventor of the bicycle kick.  The listeners were invited to phone in with questions for the travel agent, so I called in.  I was doing shift work at the time and hadn't got on air by the time I had to leave for work, so I phoned again and said there was no point in them calling me back, but could they put my question to him anyway.  I was on my way to work when I heard Moore say, "A bit of a spiky question here Doug from one of the listeners, asking why you decided to name a stand after yourself."  I can't remember the exact wording of his long-winded answer but I recall it was a long and flatulent ramble about how the shareholders had voted for the name and he was humbled by it.  Obviously Doug, being Doug, managed to sound anything but humble as he boasted about it.  Hot, thick smarm was pouring out of my radio.  I remember being really annoyed that Moore let him off the hook and moved swiftly on, probably to let Doug challenge the universe to a game of tennis or something.  Is anyone else aware of this shareholder's vote on the name?  Some of our former greats haven't got so much as a banqueting suite named in their honour.  It's a bloody disgrace.  I said it then and I'll say it now.  Grrr.   

Me arse they did.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2011, 12:35:40 AM »
Didn't Doug state that somebody wrote in and suggested it as a birthday present or something, at which time he made himself absent from the room while the other directors voted on it?

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2011, 01:14:32 AM »
Yes.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal