collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Drugs in football - 100% libel free  (Read 13641 times)

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
Re: Drugs in football - 100% libel free
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2011, 01:29:19 PM »
C4 are reporting that the player is Garry O'Connor whilst at Blues- if he is the "top player" then I'm disappointed. The programme also showed Eck talking about him being off due to having an operation. To me this reflected badly on Eck. It could be argued he was a bare faced liar.
That turn of phrase always makes me smile too. Very Fox News-esque. "Well I'm not calling him a liar, but it could be argued that he is".

Besides which, as mentioned in The Grauniad this morning, it is FA policy not to name players caught using recreational drugs, so McLeish was doing what the FA would have wanted him to do.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2011, 01:43:22 PM »
I just think this idea of not going public is dodging the issue and basically a PR stunt to avoid tarnishing the "image of the game". if you take the example of Matt Stevens in rugby he has been made an example of but now (hopefully) successfully rehabilitated. frnakly I think football is in denial about a problem which exists.

Offline Mac

• Heroes And Villains
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2011, 01:56:24 PM »
It is an affront to other sportsmen that footballers can get away with failing or avoiding drug tests. Cycling gets hauled over the coals for every minor misdemeanour

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2011, 01:58:08 PM »
The thing about cycling is there are so many misdemeanours to choose from, unfortunately.

Offline Mac

• Heroes And Villains
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2011, 04:03:51 PM »
Not compared to football, over the last couple of years, it would appear.

Offline pig

• GM : 01.04.2016
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2011, 04:09:57 PM »
It is an affront to other sportsmen that footballers can get away with failing or avoiding drug tests. Cycling gets hauled over the coals for every minor misdemeanour

I think there is a big difference between "recreational drugs" and performance enhancing drugs. The more I think about it the more I think the FA are doing the right thing by not naming those who fail drugs tests for "recreational drugs". They are punished by receiving a ban, and it allows them and the club to organise some help for them, rather then kick them out of the sport.

Offline MalcolmP

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2011, 06:59:25 PM »
Dispatches is a very poor man's Panarama.

And is Panarama a very poor man's Panorama?

Offline Ryu

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2011, 12:47:23 PM »
the documentary tried its best to make you feel outraged that players who get caught using recreational drugs usually  aren't 'named and shamed' by their clubs and the media. I found myself not giving a toss. I mean, who would that benefit other than tabloids and their voyeuristic readership?

Its hard to argue with the anti doping people saying the testing system for performance enhancing drugs should be better, however.     

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2011, 12:50:11 PM »
It's utter crap, the whole argument about how the fans, being the customer, have a right to know if a player fails a drugs test. If it happened to me in my job, I'm pretty sure the company wouldn't tell my clients, so what's the difference? And the whole "role model" thing is a load of nonsense too.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 12:56:51 PM by Ger Regan »

Offline Ryu

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2011, 12:54:48 PM »
Exactly right, Ger. Any parents who's kid sees Gary O'connor as a role model need to have a look at their own parenting!

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2011, 01:10:02 PM »
It's utter crap, the whole argument about how the fans, being the customer, have a right to know if a player fails a drugs test. If it happened to me in my job, I'm pretty sure the company wouldn't tell my clients, so what's the difference? And the whole "role model" thing is a load of nonsense too.
Not sure I agree. When a player takes advertising money for endorsements he's putting himself in the shop window. I suspect a number of top players have significant income streams for endorsements and image rights as its part of Brand Premiership.

That turn of phrase always makes me smile too. Very Fox News-esque. "Well I'm not calling him a liar, but it could be argued that he is".
My feeble attempt to keep the thread 100% libel free. i am not sure if Eck is a bare faced liar but the way he was shown in the programme might suggest to some that he is.

Offline Ryu

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2011, 01:23:05 PM »
Don't really agree with the sponsorship argument.  Rooney is hardly the most clean cut of characters and his face is everywhere, so I don't think this sort or personal issue would really affect most players appeal to sponsors.

Offline villabren

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2011, 09:09:45 PM »
Big Ron claims there was two players using recreational drugs during his time as villa boss. He kept schtum, only mentioning after he left, and as far as I know, he's never named them

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2011, 10:06:58 PM »
Big Ron claims there was two players using recreational drugs during his time as villa boss. He kept schtum, only mentioning after he left, and as far as I know, he's never named them

Hmmmm.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2011, 10:09:44 PM »
Not compared to football, over the last couple of years, it would appear.

Not if that documentary is anything to go by.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal