collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Mon linked to Leicester return?  (Read 16149 times)

Offline eastie

Re: Mon linked to Leicester return?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 03:34:46 PM »
I agree it's a strange situation given his record but it's still the truth in my experience.  There are people I know here who loathe him, they're all season ticket holders.  A large percentage of the season ticket holders I know are not pro/anti but most definitely don't consider him a legend.  I'll conceed that some do.

His biggest fans tend to be the type of people who will try to strike up a football conversation with you and just regurgitate the story they read in the Sun last week.  Once you challenge that view point or try to expand into other areas and get a good conversation going they really don't have a clue.  They'll say he was a legend and then admit that they've been to 2 or 3 games in the last 20 years.

I'm stating what I've learnt from living and working here for over 10 years as well as attending the occasional Leicester game.  My clothing is usually conspicuously Villa and it means I end up having lots of football related conversations with the people I meet.  So I'm basing my opinion on conversations I've had with many, many people in that time.

As I said at the start of this reply, it's a strange situation and one that surprised me but that doesn't mean I'm talking shite.

I certainly am not doubting you for one minute , i know how he can divide opinion only too well from his time here and he can seem an arrogant and stubborn individual without doubt, with some players he undoubtedly proved a great motivator while others have slagged him off for ignoring them so i guess he is a complex character.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 04:07:35 PM »
I agree it's a strange situation given his record but it's still the truth in my experience.  There are people I know here who loathe him, they're all season ticket holders.  A large percentage of the season ticket holders I know are not pro/anti but most definitely don't consider him a legend.  I'll conceed that some do.

His biggest fans tend to be the type of people who will try to strike up a football conversation with you and just regurgitate the story they read in the Sun last week.  Once you challenge that view point or try to expand into other areas and get a good conversation going they really don't have a clue.  They'll say he was a legend and then admit that they've been to 2 or 3 games in the last 20 years.

I'm stating what I've learnt from living and working here for over 10 years as well as attending the occasional Leicester game.  My clothing is usually conspicuously Villa and it means I end up having lots of football related conversations with the people I meet.  So I'm basing my opinion on conversations I've had with many, many people in that time.

As I said at the start of this reply, it's a strange situation and one that surprised me but that doesn't mean I'm talking shite.

Fair enough.

There are people who write on here about their genuine experiences with fans of particular clubs and firmly believe that they all share a personality type. They mean it, but that doesn't make them correct.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 04:09:45 PM »
Last month When Saturday Comes included their annual pre-season preview.  The publication is marking the 25th anniversary of its launch and one of the questions it asked each of the contributors was for their personal favourite moment of following their club during the WSC years.  Pointedly the Wycombe, Leicester and Celtic fans all referred to either the entirety of the MON reign at their club or an event that happened within it.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2011, 07:28:32 PM »
I did notice when we played there in the League Cup that he got a good but not rapturous reception from their supporters.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 07:34:32 PM »
Just listening to Robbie Savage on 606 coming back in the car, and was asked who should take over if the position should become available at Leicester, well it don't take much guess work to realise the Leicester fan was calling for Mon to take over, Robbie Savage then turns around and says, good call, without doubt Martin is one of the top 5 managers in the country and has turned down many offers to manage clubs.

Offline Macho Man Randy Savage

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2011, 07:43:59 PM »
MON linked to a club where he can throw money around like its going out of fashion, would you beleive it?

I don't really think of MON as a cheque book manager, more a manager who does well on limited resources, but not much better with unlimited resources.

Offline eastie

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2011, 07:49:21 PM »
I expect he would get a mixed reception if he came back here with a new club but although i feel it was time for him to leave i would applaud him for doing a decent enough job here-he did ok but not great and wouldnt get the sort of welcome sir graham and big ron got in my view.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2011, 07:50:30 PM »
Just listening to Robbie Savage on 606 coming back in the car, and was asked who should take over if the position should become available at Leicester, well it don't take much guess work to realise the Leicester fan was calling for Mon to take over, Robbie Savage then turns around and says, good call, without doubt Martin is one of the top 5 managers in the country and has turned down many offers to manage clubs.

By 'country' was Savage refering to Wales or Northern Ireland?

Offline Villanation

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2011, 07:52:55 PM »
Tell you what I did find strange, the comment was made that Leicester are now a rich club, implying they could easily afford the Premiership, and Mon would take them back there ans into being a major club.

So, where did they get all this money from when only a few years ago they where fighting bankruptcy.

Offline eastie

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2011, 07:54:47 PM »
Tell you what I did find strange, the comment was made that Leicester are now a rich club, implying they could easily afford the Premiership, and Mon would take them back there ans into being a major club.

So, where did they get all this money from when only a few years ago they where fighting bankruptcy.

New billionaire owners!

Offline gervilla

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2011, 08:59:21 PM »

New billionaire owners!

I'll take 2 please.
They are welcome to him. He'll probably give Muzzy Izzet £80,000 a week but on the plus side maybe this is how we'll eventually get Emule and Beye off the wage bill.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
I think he will hold out for the England Gig.

Offline gervilla

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2011, 09:40:21 PM »
He had his sniff at that one, he won't even be considered until he has a good spell at a decent sized club , we were it for him and he blew it. He won't get a bigger job any time soon.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 10:00:56 PM by gervilla »

Offline Villanation

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2011, 09:44:40 PM »

And me, and you know, I reckon there is every chance, its not a job for most managers and if nothing else Mon can be very much the diplomat, you can't fault him on that.

Offline Californian Villain

• Mustang 68
  • GM : Apr, 2012
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2011, 09:56:24 PM »

Good call, but I could see him showing up at Sunderland - potatohead can't last much longer after his appalling transfer business.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal