collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Mon linked to Leicester return?  (Read 16146 times)

Offline eastie

Mon linked to Leicester return?
« on: September 11, 2011, 07:53:32 AM »
I know its the mirror but would his ego allow him to drop a division although he would have millions to spend i guess-

Martin O誰eill is being lined up to make a sensational return to Leicester City.

There are serious concerns inside the ambitious Championship club that current boss Sven Goran Eriksson is not the man to inspire City痴 promotion push. The Thai investors, who masterminded their takeover last year, have shown they are prepared to invest in the team, but believe that there must be a immediate bolt for the top flight.
O誰eill is still revered in Leicester from his five years as boss from 1995. He guided the club to promotion to the Premier League and two League Cup finals, lifting the trophy in 2000.

O誰eill has been out of work since leaving Aston Villa 13 months ago and has so far rejected any new job offers.

If Eriksson can mastermind a run of victories, the former England manager may still hang onto his job.

But if the board decide a change must be made, then ex-Foxes boss O誰eill is the man they will turn to.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 07:55:12 AM by eastie »

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
Re: Mon linked to Leicester return?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 10:39:34 AM »

O誰eill has been out of work since leaving Aston Villa 13 months ago and has so far rejected any new job offers.

Presumably they mean the debacle that was West Ham. Great spinning.

Online Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 10:46:19 AM »
I reckon he'll be joining Sunderland before too long.

Offline eastie

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 10:52:21 AM »

Interesting call, and the club he supported as a boy-stranger things have happened.

Offline dishy

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 10:56:47 AM »
MON linked to a club where he can throw money around like its going out of fashion, would you beleive it?

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 11:08:07 AM »
If I were Leicester I would stick with Sven

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 11:27:26 AM »
I half expected him to pitch up at Forest in the summer, but seeing how Steve McClaren has so quickly became embroiled in the same difficulties with those who hold the City Ground purse strings as dogged Billy Davies, perhaps not.  MON is nothing if not cute when it comes to making sure that he really is the boss.

Offline rjp

• aka Rob
  • GM : 07.05.2024
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 11:37:55 AM »
He's not as universally popular in Leicester as the papers would have you believe although he undoubtedly has his fans here.  The more casual fans tend to like him a lot more than those that are really knowledgeable about the game.

Offline martin

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 11:53:15 AM »

Interesting call, and the club he supported as a boy-stranger things have happened.

He supported Sunderland as a boy-stranger?

Things have happened.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 02:27:52 PM »
He's not as universally popular in Leicester as the papers would have you believe although he undoubtedly has his fans here.  The more casual fans tend to like him a lot more than those that are really knowledgeable about the game.

Haha, Ok then.

Offline rjp

• aka Rob
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 02:29:56 PM »

Haha, Ok then.

I'm not sure what that was supposed to mean, care to elaborate?

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 02:49:18 PM »
The casual fans rate their greatest ever manager, but the really knowledgable ones aren't so keen? I'd have a look at who knows what if I were you.

Offline Hoppo

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 02:52:36 PM »
Was on a Sunderland fanzine last night they feel that both Bruce and Quinn will be out the door soon.

Offline eastie

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 03:05:46 PM »
The casual fans rate their greatest ever manager, but the really knowledgable ones aren't so keen? I'd have a look at who knows what if I were you.

Whatever they thought of him there can be be no doubt he achieved great success for them,and established them as a top 10 team as well as winning two wembley finals and taking them into europe-Mon may not be as likeable as some and his style of football can be frustrating to watch but his results record at Leicester was superb.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 03:11:12 PM by eastie »

Offline rjp

• aka Rob
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 03:26:48 PM »
I agree it's a strange situation given his record but it's still the truth in my experience.  There are people I know here who loathe him, they're all season ticket holders.  A large percentage of the season ticket holders I know are not pro/anti but most definitely don't consider him a legend.  I'll conceed that some do.

His biggest fans tend to be the type of people who will try to strike up a football conversation with you and just regurgitate the story they read in the Sun last week.  Once you challenge that view point or try to expand into other areas and get a good conversation going they really don't have a clue.  They'll say he was a legend and then admit that they've been to 2 or 3 games in the last 20 years.

I'm stating what I've learnt from living and working here for over 10 years as well as attending the occasional Leicester game.  My clothing is usually conspicuously Villa and it means I end up having lots of football related conversations with the people I meet.  So I'm basing my opinion on conversations I've had with many, many people in that time.

As I said at the start of this reply, it's a strange situation and one that surprised me but that doesn't mean I'm talking shite.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal