collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Support your local team.  (Read 9073 times)

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
Support your local team.
« on: September 10, 2011, 08:02:52 PM »
I went to my local this afternoon to watch the game live. The usual suspects were there (about a dozen of us) plus about 25-30 other Villa fans.
I know we have one of the biggest and loudest away followings in the PL, but in the recent past when The Villa were playing away and live on TV the pub has been rammed, but not today.
What really got my goat was that as K.O. approached for the Bolton v Man Ure game the pub suddenly filled up with people with Brummie accents extolling the virtues of Man Ure.
This wasn't a city centre pub where you might expect a 'cross section' of fans, it's the only pub in the area that shows live sport.
So are Villa fans voting with their feet even when it means a gentle stroll down to the local to watch their team?

Offline Handsworth Wood Villa

• TRS-T
Re: Support your local team.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 08:05:08 PM »
In Birmingham there are loads of gloryhunting Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal fans.

In Newcastle everyone supports Newcastle.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 08:09:57 PM »
its the same everywhere,
 its my belief that about 50% of people with any interest in football support Man Utd nationwide

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 08:27:28 PM »
'Brummie Reds' eh?  Gotta love em.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 08:31:09 PM »
A Brummie "Man Utd" fan looked at me in disbelief when I he found out I was renewing my season ticket. The look just said "why?". I think, and believe, that until you actually go down the ground and see what it's like, people will automatically just follow Man Utd/Chelsea etc.

I also believe that, because of this, we should be reducing childrens ticket prices to ridiculously low prices and in some cases, such as games that will obviously never sell out, give tickets to schools to give to children. When they get in the ground, the whole atmosphere and buzz will take a hold of them, whether it's a crap game or not, and will hopefully give them a direction as to what team they choose to follow.

If they don't have a father-figure who supports Villa, I find it difficult to believe that many would choose to support us, unless we can get children going to games froma young age.

• TRS-T
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 09:04:49 PM »
If they don't have a father-figure who supports Villa, I find it difficult to believe that many would choose to support us, unless we can get children going to games froma young age.

Good point.

I guess I only support Villa because my dad does.

Online Karlos96

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 09:06:41 PM »
I managed to convert my nephew from a Man Utd fan to a Villa fan quite proud of that :-)

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 09:19:53 PM »
I managed to convert my nephew from a Man Utd fan to a Villa fan quite proud of that :-)

X2. 

The father figure argument does carry water mind you.  It's really just another example of the influence of Sky.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 09:24:17 PM »
A friend of mine who's a Plymouth Argyle supporter was round this afternoon. We were drinking tea and listening to the football on the radio, and I asked him when he would take his little boy to an Argyle game.

He looked at me like I was stupid. He says he's going to encourage his boy to support Manchester United or Chelsea or Liverpool. If he wants to follow them, he argued, he will be able to see them on TV or read about them in the paper. He won't have to travel hundreds of miles to watch a game.

`Why not take him to see Palace?' (our nearest league club).
`Because then I'd have to watch Palace.' (good point).

At that point the Argyle score was read out. They'd been beaten by Port Vale to stay 4 points adrift at the bottom of the league, and one step ahead of administration. He just looked at me, eloquently.

Offline john e

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 09:32:20 PM »

Good point.

my Dad supports Man utd

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 09:39:56 PM »

Good point.

my Dad supports Man utd

And you said...

Offline john e

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 09:43:58 PM »

Good point.

my Dad supports Man utd

And you said...

to be honest i didnt say that, as he's a preacher man, and it wouldnt have gone down very well at the time !

• TRS-T
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 09:44:29 PM »

Good point.

my Dad supports Man utd

Fair play.

Offline TheBarneyArmy

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 09:53:40 PM »
The reason I'm a Villa fan is down to my Dad taking me along to my first game at the ripe old age of 4.  I've got a son approacing his 1st birthday who will be encouraged in the same way I was. 

Offline john e

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 09:57:19 PM »
appart from a few exceptions [me] this getting them while they are young be it a father, family or friend is absolutley key.
i've said it a load of times before but -
 you have to get them while they are young or they will only end up supporting someone good

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal