collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Everton v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 37988 times)

Offline citizenDJ

• GM : 28.05.2020
Re: Everton v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2011, 05:13:51 PM »
A really poor showing which we were lucky to grab a point from. Dunne and Given performed well, and Agbonlahor (even out on the wing) showed why he is such an important player for us (I do wish McLeish would try him up front with Bent at some point, though).

Otherwise, we were crap, just not at the races at all. Petrov, Delph, Warnock, Bent, N'Zogbia all had stinkers.

But, to finish on a positive note, we do seem to have a bit of fight about us. It won't be near enough on its own, but it's important to have and it got us a point today where we didn't look remotely like getting one.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2011, 05:14:21 PM »
It's better to be lucky than good.

Disagree completely, 'played awfully but lucky' will always catch up with you...

true

Offline asgpaul

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2011, 05:16:31 PM »
Taking positives from this game is the fact we came away from Goodison with a point when we deserved a beating.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2011, 05:16:35 PM »

Outmuscled in the centre of midfield.Great goal by Petrov, but at times was woeful.Delph is brilliant one minute, and shite the next.N'Zog is our link player nd needs a bit of help imho.

Bannan has to start the next game.

I thought the 2 FBs were ok, not sure about Hutton, but their biggest threats were Coleman and Baines, that was the main difference between the 2 teams if you ask me.

By the way that 17 year old who came on for them looks a good player.

he's the latest big thing out of Everton, looks very impresive

he will be with them for another season or so then Man Utd will buy him for 25 mill and claim all the credit

Online mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2011, 05:19:20 PM »
Don't know how we got a point there.

We were awful, Dunne on the whole was brilliant though.

Yeah Dunne was great very impressed with him today

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2011, 05:19:51 PM »
screw the result....screw the performance....the best thing today was the final whistle when we no longer had to put up with that whinging Evertonian Barry 'I'm not biased Horne.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2011, 05:20:54 PM »
Everton must really hate us.

We deserved nothing and got a point.  Both goals were excellent, the only bright spots.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2011, 05:21:05 PM »
Looking very lower mid table to me already - be prepared to keep one eye on the results of the likes of Sunderland, Wolves and West Brom if you are not already! Thankfully, as last season, I suspect there will be three really poor teams in Wigan, Swansea and maybe Norwich who will be relegated

Amazed at the confidence we would win on the pre-match thread - as I said over there beforehand, Everton are at their best in adversity and anyway, Arteta was never going to be that much of a miss for them as he has gone off the boil. Witness his very average debut for Arsenal today

This management lark never ceases to amaze me. One look at the line ups beforehand would have told any of us on here that we would be completely outclassed in midfield. What happens? Dear me...

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2011, 05:21:26 PM »
We were again too slow with the ball and Everton were constantly in our faces and used the ball very well at times. Fellini was the big difference today, he ran the show. After the break and more importantly the subs, we showed heart and belief, battling and creating chances.

I said after the Wolves game we've been carrying N'Zogbia and nothing has changed my mind after today. We still have a problem in midfield but when we get that right, we'll be right back on track. This is a season to give the kids a chance and so far they haven't let us down much. Delph will hopefully learn from today, it was a poor decision against a cheating bastard.

Still undefeated and hopefully we'll see a more adventurous line up against Newcastle. Oh.. and Gabby.. you're a star!

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2011, 05:21:49 PM »
To be honest Im happy enough with that second half performance. Big difference was Petrov and Delph getting on the ball and keeping it on the floor. Bannan and Nzogbia were tucking in so we kept the ball for far longer. A load of negatives but at least there was heart and some brain to our play in the second half. Gabby had a fine second half, Bent was getting in his way really. Throwing his shirt into the crowd haha.

Negatives - Hutton overweight and hopeless on his debut. No wonder he cant make the Scotland team. Id keep Nzogbia and himself out of the side until they are properly fit. Warnock was shit too, fucking diabolical attitude with him. Nzogbia already looking unhappy, thought he wasnt too bad before being taken off but needs to get fitter. What was he doing all summer? Delph was stupid for the penalty, just before that too he bottled out of winning a header in our box too. I was happy with him for the 20 mins before then but he lost confidence after that and needed to be replaced. Biggest negative was Bent who was simply a passenger today and looked hopelessly out of touch. Gabby and him wont work but Gabby was far happier down the middle.

Positives - Given isnt fit but he is a fine keeper. Dunne was outstanding. Collins ok. Happy enough with the midfield duo in the second half. Bannan died out of it a bit but helps us keep possession. Albrighton wasnt involved much after coming on but the assist should give him a big boost of confidence. lovely crosser of a ball. Petrov finally cracked in a goal from outside the box, fair play to him after 2 games last week. Ireland had a decent cameo too I felt Id like to see more of him. Gabby was very good up top.

With Heskey gone, Jenas still to come in I feel we simply have to move to a 433/451 formation. Big decision to make up front.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2011, 05:23:11 PM »
I love Gabs. Our Gabs.

Ha ha

I'd bollock him for the shirt thing though !!

Given must be thinking it's like playing for Citeh's reserves but with a crowd.

Time to give Ireland a run I think.

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2011, 05:23:35 PM »
I was at the game. So firstly I do LOVE a late goal celebration. Keeps me alive. Gabby is just ace. Beyond that Everton bossed the game, they were at home, and had a lot of possesion but not that many chances.A draw was about right for me.

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2011, 05:24:35 PM »
Didn't see the game... from what I hear we played well in the second half? Had a look at the stats and the shots on goal is worrying. Atleast we came back twice and didn't give up.

Who played well? Who didn't play well? Was a draw a fair result?

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2011, 05:25:01 PM »
It's the first time I've not really been bothered about watching a game for a while. I'm pleased we scraped a draw, but recently the enthusiasm has been completely sucked out of me.

Offline Blackcountry Villa

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2011, 05:27:57 PM »
That was garbage, again. Especially Fabian Delph, i don't get the hype at all. He's crap.

Everton must hate us, they always outplay us but never get any luck and never beat us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal