collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:19:57 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Skerra
[Today at 12:18:27 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by john2710
[Today at 12:11:45 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by ez
[Today at 12:07:46 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Saying the right things... Jenas  (Read 4963 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Saying the right things... Jenas
« on: September 10, 2011, 08:53:36 AM »
http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2446242,00.html?

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/210320/Aston-Villa-new-boy-says-it-s-time-to-shut-some-people-up/?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2035663/Aston-Villa-signing-Jermaine-Jenas-silence-critics.html#ixzz1XXABzOaF

'I've come here to re-ignite what I know is within me. As a player, Villa is a fantastic place to come and play. You can almost showcase yourself here.
'If I can put my past behind me I can put in some top performances for Villa. I can help them achieve what they want to achieve.
'It's time to put any negative thoughts behind me – to go on and shut people up.'

In all three he says much the same with little variants, but I am impressed with the desire and determination he seems to have, and that he seems to know that we are as good an opportunity as he will get to show what he has got. Lets hope we see the good Jenas, because if we do I think we will all be pretty impressed come May.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
Re: Saying the right things... Jenas
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 08:57:02 AM »
I wanted Robert Pires to shut me up.
I'm still waiting for Stephen Ireland to shut me up.
And I really hope Jermaine Jenas shuts me up.

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 09:22:50 AM »
Nev - Shut up! ;)

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 09:28:14 AM »
Heartening.

"Jenas admitted it was an instant decision when he heard of Villa's interest in him - although the positivity he heard about the club from record-signing Darren Bent reassured him it was a great career move.

He added: "I spoke to Benty straight away and he told me how good the club is run and the lads were great."

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 09:46:19 AM »
I'm sure he would not have been the first choice of many of us.
BUT, all we can do is give him a chance.
If it comes off we may have landed a gem, if not, well, its not the end of the world, at least we can then bomb him off, unlike other wastrels we have.

For me, I wish him luck, if he does well, it benefits the Villa.

Offline Singapore Villa

• GM : 09.06.2019
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 10:27:52 AM »
I second those sentiments andyh...

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 10:30:09 AM »
i dont care what he says, as long as he performs on the pitch...

sick to death of "hearing the right things", only for their performances to show the exact opposite...

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 10:30:39 AM »
I don't know where else to put this because I don't want to start a new thread but I have just woken up after a Saturday morning lie in having dreamt about Alex McLeish and Darren Bent.

In the dream, Darren Bent was having a kick about with me because he was on holidays in Ireland. He told me we were cutting back this year so that we could make a new run at the top four next season with a new cash injection and new players. He was positive about our long-term prospects and said fans needed to get behind the club.

I then ended up in a pub in my hometown with McLeish. McLeish was discussing his admiration for Gabby quite a bit and the traditions he has to live up to at the club. He then was asking me about players and I think I kept saying that Barry Bannan should be in the starting line-up and that Mark Albrighton needed to have the pressure taken off him at this critical stage of his career.

Then I woke up. I think he was on the verge of appointing me Assistant Manager or Chief Scout or whatever...or maybe not.

Anyway, back to thread, it's good to hear Jenas saying those things. Show us your worth on the pitch now!

Offline johnny from donny

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 11:03:01 AM »
Obviously, I hope he does well.  But,and it's a big but, I'm getting frustrated at our inability (or unwillingness) to get agreed-price buy clauses when we get a loan player in*. First Walker and now Jenas. If he does as well as we all hope then either spurs will refuse to sell him, or he will be out of our price range.  In effect all we are doing is benefiting spurs, which if fine if you're wigan or somebody like that trying to establish yourself/ensure survival in the premier league; but I want us to compete with spurs, not help them.

*I will concede that we did just that with Bradley

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 11:18:46 AM »
I think the majority on here have got this one wrong and Jenas will turn out to be the perfect fit for our midfield.
I rarely stick my neck out but think this one is a good punt based on the style of player rather than out and out ability. To be fair, Jenas has shown both good and bad attributes at Spuds but surely and definitely benefit from a continued run and replace Petrov.

Offline Dan England

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 11:37:45 AM »
This may be slightly controversial but I want people like Mcleish and Jenas joining the club and being motivated to play/manage us. I'm fed up with the lack of respect shown by several recent staff members. I'd rather have players and backroom staff who are technically inferior but play with passion, pride and hunger, proud to be wearing the claret and blue, than 11 mercanaries who will f8ck off as soon as someone waves a few pound notes around (yes, twat features Downing I'm looking at you).

Play as you are talking Mr Jenas and in my eyes you'll do very well.

Online JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 11:40:20 AM »
No doubt he has quality in there, he was young player of the year and has been selected as a starter by pretty much every England manager since his debut, but he's done nothing for years and he's not a better footballer than Makoun.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 12:49:34 PM »
i dont care what he says, as long as he performs on the pitch...

sick to death of "hearing the right things", only for their performances to show the exact opposite...

Correct.

That was a running theme of last season.  Don't tell me.  Show me.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 01:58:59 PM »
I don't care how motivated he is or how he says the right things because that is the very least I ask of any of our players. They all say it, irrespective of how much they mean it anyway.

What is important is how good he is. It's all well and good him saying the right things and giving 100% every game but if he isn't good enough or talented enough or if he struggles to fit into the team then it means fuck all.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 01:59:15 PM »
Anyone who has seen the interviews with Jenas (and Hutton to a lesser extent) would be quite impressed with how he comes across. He seems far more pragmatic, articulate and respectful than most footballers.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal