collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Cheaper tickets for local residents  (Read 14729 times)

Offline eastie

Re: Cheaper tickets for local residents
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2011, 01:12:14 PM »
as doug used to say it has been proved that dropping prices doesnt fill grounds.

I must have imagined the full house Small Heath got against Gillingham for a live TV game on a Frday night when it was a fiver in and kids for a quid. What did that prove then?

If it proved financially worthwhile do you not think all clubs would drop the price and get full houses-it does not work.

How many empty seats were there against blackburn or are you saying we charge a fiver and bankrupt ourselves?
As dave says price is one factor but not the main one.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 01:16:32 PM by eastie »

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2011, 01:20:55 PM »
as doug used to say it has been proved that dropping prices doesnt fill grounds.

I must have imagined the full house Small Heath got against Gillingham for a live TV game on a Frday night when it was a fiver in and kids for a quid. What did that prove then?

If it proved financially worthwhile do you not think all clubs would drop the price and get full houses-it does not work.

How many empty seats were there against blackburn or are you saying we charge a fiver and bankrupt ourselves?
As dave says price is one factor but not the main one.

Whether is is financially viable or not is a different argument. You stated as a matter of fact that dropping prices does not fill grounds. In effect you're saying that if we charged one penny for a family of six we would not sell out.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 01:30:02 PM by PercyN'thehood »

Offline eastie

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2011, 01:29:19 PM »
Sorry percy you are choosing to miss the point and i cant be bothered to waste my time playing your games-enjoy the match!

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2011, 02:39:52 PM »
Sorry percy you are choosing to miss the point and i cant be bothered to waste my time playing your games-enjoy the match!

The trouble is there is no grey area to your point. You keep saying that dropping prices wouldn't result in full houses when, depending on the degree of the price drop, you know it would. Sounds like you are the one playing games.

Offline garyfouroaks

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2011, 09:08:49 PM »
Surely the further you live away, the greater the travelling costs, so the more useful a discount on the ticket becomes?

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2011, 09:22:06 PM »
I think it's a great initiative and the club should reach out to as many communities as possible to fill the stadium. This has much wider rammifications than simple charity. We should embrace local residents. Aston Villa Football Club is more than just a football team. It has a responsibilty to be much bigger than that.

Offline alan_clarke

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2011, 12:27:41 AM »
Should be same price for all wherever you live in my opinion.
if we got a full house for each game, id agree.

Offline Holtemeister

• Location: Living in Birmingham (just) but definately still a Yam Yam
  • GM : 22.07.2016
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2011, 01:47:48 PM »
Its a shame PeterW is not around any more his contribution to this thread would have been invaluable

Offline richardhubbard

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2011, 05:42:53 PM »
Should be same price for all wherever you live in my opinion.
[/quote

I agree , I no problem with principle but reduce price for all

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2011, 05:51:21 PM »
Surely the further you live away, the greater the travelling costs, so the more useful a discount on the ticket becomes?

The closer you live the more disruption you put up with by having 30-40k people on your doorstep once a fortnight.

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2011, 10:23:14 AM »
If you look hard enough and wait until the last minute there are nearly always cheap ticket deals at VP for any match!

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2011, 03:22:42 PM »
Talking about a great bit of marketing, has anybody not seen the two Sikh lads next to the home dug out at Old Trafford? They're on TV more than Ferguson and I'd bet a pound to a penny Man Utd have strategically placed them there. They're a marketeers dream, everything you want, fun, passionate, animated and always dressed in replica kit, a clear demonstration of how Man United want to sell themselves as a globally supported club.

Offline Handsworth Wood Villa

• TRS-T
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2011, 11:50:33 PM »
Talking about a great bit of marketing, has anybody not seen the two Sikh lads next to the home dug out at Old Trafford? They're on TV more than Ferguson and I'd bet a pound to a penny Man Utd have strategically placed them there. They're a marketeers dream, everything you want, fun, passionate, animated and always dressed in replica kit, a clear demonstration of how Man United want to sell themselves as a globally supported club.

Yup. You see them there every game.

I bet they're from Birmingham as well.

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2011, 12:15:45 AM »
You could also argue that our biggest gates every season come from the top price games. Price is a factor, but not the main one.

But with ticket prices there is always a point of diminishing returns and I think that point may have been reached already this season. It's up to the marketing guys to keep on top of it and make any necessary adjustments before the absence of some fans lessens the experience for the ones who attend, which could cause a sort of vicious circle. 

Also, it's hard to generalise because the level of price acceptance is not universally applicable. It depends on individual circumstances.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2011, 12:33:35 AM »

Yup. You see them there every game.

I bet they're from Birmingham as well.

I'm sure there were a couple of Sikh lads behind our dugout shown on TV during the Wolves game, notable because of those two at Newton Heath more than anything else, but good to see all the same.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal