collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:44:10 PM]

Diego Carlos by KevinGage
[Today at 09:42:35 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:40:37 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by itbrvilla
[Today at 09:40:18 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Gareth
[Today at 09:40:00 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Drummond
[Today at 09:20:21 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by algy
[Today at 09:18:36 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by AV84
[Today at 09:01:25 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:44:10 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:43:25 PM]

Re: Diego Carlos by KevinGage
[Today at 09:42:35 PM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:41:54 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:40:37 PM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by itbrvilla
[Today at 09:40:18 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Gareth
[Today at 09:40:00 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 09:38:03 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Super Clubs  (Read 22123 times)

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
Re: Super Clubs
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2011, 12:34:07 AM »
You cant blame Mcleish for lowering expectations, its Rule Number 1 in the Football Management Survival handbook.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2011, 01:07:38 AM »
There's no doubting the truth in what AM has said, but the question is "Does anyone want us to become a Super Club?"

I'll hold my hand up and say no I don't. To me becoming a 'Super Club' would be a bit like the relatively unknown band you love suddenly becoming everyone else's favourite - it takes the love out of it a bit.
When I watched our pre-season game against Chelsea on TV and saw all the locals wearing Chelsea shirts I thought to myself I'd hate that if it was Villa.
Call me selfish, but my Villa, my team who I share with the good folk of Brum and its surrounds are big enough and popular enough for me - followed by people with a real connection to the club.
I don't think I could handle supporting a team who go to Wembley two or three times every year, and who are expected to win every game - so much so that when they do it's not really much fun.
When the Villa next win something - and we will one day - it will be very special.

We may not be a Super Club, but we are a super club... smashing in fact.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2011, 01:14:27 AM »
Good points above. Some time ago the question was asked - would you want Manchester United's success if it meant becoming like them, which we would inevitable have to? I honestly don't know. 

Offline eastie

« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2011, 08:13:18 AM »
Yes money is the main thing in cracking the top 4 and we got close but that's all gone now- randy and mon did give it their best shot though and although mon wasted a lot of cash he brought in some top players who made the club millions as well ie Milner, young and downing and sometimes doesn't get the credit he deserved.

The mon years were enjoyable but had run their course and without sufficient investment I think he could see the top 4 would pull away from us - now the gap is bigger than ever and unless a superich new owner arrives I expect the fa cup to be our highest realistic ambition  and that is a long shot in itself- I see us in the 7-12 bracket for a while to come sadly.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2011, 08:45:31 AM »
Good points above. Some time ago the question was asked - would you want Manchester United's success if it meant becoming like them, which we would inevitable have to? I honestly don't know. 

After the cup final last year we ended up in a pub in Harrow. It was probably 60-40 in Newton Heath's favour, but while they sat around chatting we were having a high old time, singing and enjoying the craic with the staff. I got talking to some of their fans and there rather blase about the whole day and their victory.

It made me consider whether constant success is actually that desirable as opposed to occasional triumph in Cup competitions so you can savour and enjoy the moment. I appreciate that the Newton Heath fans would be rather more vocal had the CL been won but it's just a question of scale. We might have been daytrippers, looked upon as enjoying our day in the spotlight but it seemed that we had far more fun than they did despite loosing and as following football is essentially a leisure activity, who had the better time?

If the game at the top level was more competative, leading to a greater spread of honours then maybe the image I have of a set of fans, whose club had just won the cup, looking miserable as sin might become a rarity.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2011, 08:56:49 AM »

After the cup final last year we ended up in a pub in Harrow. It was probably 60-40 in Newton Heath's favour, but while they sat around chatting we were having a high old time, singing and enjoying the craic with the staff. I got talking to some of their fans and there rather blase about the whole day and their victory.

It made me consider whether constant success is actually that desirable as opposed to occasional triumph in Cup competitions so you can savour and enjoy the moment. I appreciate that the Newton Heath fans would be rather more vocal had the CL been won but it's just a question of scale. We might have been daytrippers, looked upon as enjoying our day in the spotlight but it seemed that we had far more fun than they did despite loosing and as following football is essentially a leisure activity, who had the better time?

If the game at the top level was more competative, leading to a greater spread of honours then maybe the image I have of a set of fans, whose club had just won the cup, looking miserable as sin might become a rarity.

Pretty much the same after losing to Chelsea in 2000 - spoke with some lads after the game and they looked morose - I said "cheer up lads youv`e won the cup for **** sakes"

The retort - " Yeh mate, but we want Champions League"

Says it all really.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2011, 10:45:53 AM »
Here's an interesting spin on things. A friend of mine is a year younger, he turns 24 in the next couple of weeks and he started to support Man U as a young boy around about 93/94. He said he remembers being very upset when Blackburn won the title in 94/95 but that ultimately he regrets the fact he has ended up supporting such a successful team.

He recently told me he wishes he had fallen for a club like Villa or Spurs. He admits himself he is blasé about success with United and takes it for granted they will sign the best players. He said he's a bit jealous of all the ups and downs he's seen me go through, like the elation of the 6-4 win against Blackburn, the devastation of the cup final and the FA cup semi final. I think he has fallen out of love with the game in the last couple of years to be fair, which is sad because he has a wonderful football brain and is actually a very good player too.

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2011, 02:15:08 PM »
Here's an interesting spin on things. A friend of mine is a year younger, he turns 24 in the next couple of weeks and he started to support Man U as a young boy around about 93/94. He said he remembers being very upset when Blackburn won the title in 94/95 but that ultimately he regrets the fact he has ended up supporting such a successful team.

He recently told me he wishes he had fallen for a club like Villa or Spurs. He admits himself he is blasé about success with United and takes it for granted they will sign the best players. He said he's a bit jealous of all the ups and downs he's seen me go through, like the elation of the 6-4 win against Blackburn, the devastation of the cup final and the FA cup semi final. I think he has fallen out of love with the game in the last couple of years to be fair, which is sad because he has a wonderful football brain and is actually a very good player too.

You can grow up and make adult decisions, and then support a club on it's locality and merits. I used to support Liverpool as an 8-9-10 year old, yet used to go down and watch the Villa with my family and friends. Eventually in my teens, I admitted to myself I was a Villa fan. I think you can get counselling for your friend, it's called turning Sky TV off.

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2011, 06:26:01 PM »
It may be early days, but it looks like the Super Clubs might only be the two Manchester teams.

Offline eastie

« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2011, 06:48:40 PM »
Too early in the season yet-remember chelsea were hammering all and sundry early last season and then faded,although i must admit some of the football city have played in the last couple of weeks has been superb to watch , a far cry from last season.

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2011, 06:57:13 PM »
Too early in the season yet-remember chelsea were hammering all and sundry early last season and then faded,although i must admit some of the football city have played in the last couple of weeks has been superb to watch , a far cry from last season.

They may spend their load, so to speak, in the early part of the season, but I wouldn't want ti play any of them at the moment. That said, even when their momentum drops, they both have massive reserves to call on.

Offline eastie

« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2011, 07:16:16 PM »

They may spend their load, so to speak, in the early part of the season, but I wouldn't want ti play any of them at the moment. That said, even when their momentum drops, they both have massive reserves to call on.

I see city as very strong contenders for not just the title but also the chamoions league, the squad they have assembled is incredible and after years in the shadows of utd i feel pleased for their long suffering loyal fans that its their turn for some glory.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2011, 08:17:12 PM »
I think we need to wait and see how they cope with two games every week and the extra demands that brings. Yes, they've got a strong squad but they still have to find a way of chopping and changing and sustaining level of performance to keep them in the title race. Ferguson has years of experience of dealing with it where it will all be new to Man City. I'm not suggesting that they can't do it just that I think it's a possibility. 

Offline woody4866

« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2011, 08:40:24 PM »
There's no doubting the truth in what AM has said, but the question is "Does anyone want us to become a Super Club?"

I'll hold my hand up and say no I don't. To me becoming a 'Super Club' would be a bit like the relatively unknown band you love suddenly becoming everyone else's favourite - it takes the love out of it a bit.
When I watched our pre-season game against Chelsea on TV and saw all the locals wearing Chelsea shirts I thought to myself I'd hate that if it was Villa.
Call me selfish, but my Villa, my team who I share with the good folk of Brum and its surrounds are big enough and popular enough for me - followed by people with a real connection to the club.
I don't think I could handle supporting a team who go to Wembley two or three times every year, and who are expected to win every game - so much so that when they do it's not really much fun.
When the Villa next win something - and we will one day - it will be very special.

We may not be a Super Club, but we are a super club... smashing in fact.
Strange how I was reading that with the Hovis Music going on in the background

All good points though, wheres the fun in supporting a club where chances are you are going to win every game
Although it would be nice at the beginning of the season to think that just maybe this is our season?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #104 on: September 11, 2011, 08:48:13 PM »

Must admit, I'd accept it if it meant we won a shedload of trophies. I know it was a different footbaling era, but did anyone get bored of cup runs and winning things between 75-83? We lifted pots in 75, 77, 81. 82 and 83 (if you include the Super cup). Were any of you bored of winning them?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal