collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

GUESS THE CROWD R26: ASTON VILLA v Chelsea, Saturday, 27th April!🥧 by Villa Lew
[Today at 06:24:49 PM]

NSWE Investment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 06:22:16 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:21:26 PM]

150 celebrations by Risso
[Today at 06:00:21 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Bad English
[Today at 05:51:14 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by algy
[Today at 05:23:00 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Smithy
[Today at 05:21:40 PM]

Champions League Contention by Dogtanian
[Today at 05:15:20 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Time added on  (Read 8261 times)

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
Re: Time added on
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 03:42:46 PM »
I usually find it's 1 minute in the first half and 4 in the second

exactly, but why?

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 03:54:25 PM »
I usually find it's 1 minute in the first half and 4 in the second

exactly, but why?

30 seconds is added for each substitution, there's usually about 4 per game and the ref's are wised up to time wasting.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 04:06:49 PM »
Don't forget that when we won the league (for example) the notion of 3 subs, tactical substitutions in the last minute to take the sting out of the game, rolling around for 20 seconds after each foul were not known. In addition, we were only allowed one sub per game so in all there probably really were only 1-2 minutes added on per game.

I used to count on being back at the Crown & Cushion for 5pm on Saturdays, 9.30pm for midweek games.

As for today's games and the different amount of stoppage time in the second half compared to the first, I think that as players tire and defend a result close to full time then there are more mistimed tackles and professional fouls leading to treatment (justified or not) and cards. Plus those pointless last minute substitutions - Mellberg v the Blues in 2008 being a very rare exception, of course.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 04:53:46 PM »
I guess the second half thing is down to more subs and more goals.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 05:40:42 PM »
There are plenty of reasons why games finish later now.

If the game's televised, they will often start a couple of minutes late to squeeze in an extra advert or two. We have fifteen rather than ten minutes at half-time. There are lots more substitutions than there used to be. The game is more stop-start now as many free-kicks are awarded that wouldn't have been classed as fouls years ago. Plus there are more bookings now and each yellow card is met with at least sixty seconds of histrionics. The backpass rule probably adds on time too. While in the old days teams would tediously pass the ball back the ball would still be "in play". Now, probably about half of all passbacks end up with the keeper slicing the ball into the stand which means extra stoppages. Injuries, especially head injuries, are taken a lot more seriously now. And of course there is the rule that whenever Manure aren't winning, an extra three hours must be added.

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 05:43:09 PM »
There are plenty of reasons why games finish later now.

If the game's televised, they will often start a couple of minutes late to squeeze in an extra advert or two. We have fifteen rather than ten minutes at half-time. There are lots more substitutions than there used to be. The game is more stop-start now as many free-kicks are awarded that wouldn't have been classed as fouls years ago. Plus there are more bookings now and each yellow card is met with at least sixty seconds of histrionics. The backpass rule probably adds on time too. While in the old days teams would tediously pass the ball back the ball would still be "in play". Now, probably about half of all passbacks end up with the keeper slicing the ball into the stand which means extra stoppages. Injuries, especially head injuries, are taken a lot more seriously now. And of course there is the rule that whenever Manure aren't winning, an extra three hours must be added.

Excellent post......very good and all good points

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2011, 05:43:56 PM »
You're too kind. :-)

Offline MarkM

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2011, 07:05:43 PM »
I would have the first half set at 45 mins, and then add all the first and second half added time to the end of the 2nd half.

That way both halfs will kick off at the same time and make the en of the game a bit mor exciting

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2011, 07:30:08 PM »
I would have the first half set at 45 mins, and then add all the first and second half added time to the end of the 2nd half.

That way both halfs will kick off at the same time and make the en of the game a bit mor exciting

That's the last thing Villa want. We very rarely finish a game on top. Anyway, it would be slightly unfair, especially at very low levels. If it was blowing a gale or the pitch sloped in one direction the team kicking with the wind or down the slope in the second half would have a massive advantage.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2011, 07:44:12 PM »
Yes it was always at 4.40 finish, and for night games it would be a 9.10 finish and I'd be home for "Sportsnight with Coleman" at 10.
That's until the Premier League started and it was realised that 15 minute half-time intervals meant more money being spent on food and drink.
Time only used to be added for injuries back in the day - but even with a serious injury it would only be about a minute before the player was dragged over the touchline out the way so the game could carry on!

Offline andyaston

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2011, 07:56:49 PM »

That's the last thing Villa want. We very rarely finish a game on top. Anyway, it would be slightly unfair, especially at very low levels. If it was blowing a gale or the pitch sloped in one direction the team kicking with the wind or down the slope in the second half would have a massive advantage.
Thats about right. Why is it that Villa are always crap in the last 10 mintes of a match?

Offline davevillan

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2011, 09:38:10 PM »

One minor point you are missing here, and that is both halves must be 45mins, if you idea was implimented, then the 2nd half would be longer!

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2011, 09:44:17 PM »

Thats about right. Why is it that Villa are always crap in the last 10 mintes of a match?

A small squad means we tire. We also rarely rotate meaning the subs are worse than the first team and we don't have "impact" subs. Plus we have no bottle when teams like Manure start going for us. You can see the fear in the players' (and fans') eyes.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2011, 10:01:14 PM »
That's the changing face of football you never know when you are leaving.

...and you never know when they are starting ..

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2011, 10:08:03 PM »
I usually find it's 1 minute in the first half and 4 in the second unless your Man U and then its 3 in the first half and 9 in the second unless they are winning of course

No however long it takes them to score an equaliser or winner.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal