collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 06:47:43 AM]

NSWE Investment by Weedy
[Today at 06:26:55 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by ChicagoLion
[Today at 06:01:37 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Bad English
[Today at 05:02:29 AM]

Peter McParland 90 today by ROBBO
[Today at 04:48:05 AM]

Villa songs on Alexa by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 02:17:54 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Rory
[Today at 01:40:16 AM]

Snooker by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:23:15 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 06:47:43 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Weedy
[Today at 06:26:55 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by ChicagoLion
[Today at 06:01:37 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Bad English
[Today at 05:12:02 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Bad English
[Today at 05:02:29 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Axl Rose
[Today at 04:59:04 AM]

Re: Peter McParland 90 today by ROBBO
[Today at 04:48:05 AM]

Re: Villa songs on Alexa by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 02:17:54 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Time added on  (Read 8263 times)

Offline andyaston

Time added on
« on: September 05, 2011, 11:10:11 AM »
Typically, in recent times we seem to be finishing matches at about 5 to 5 on a saturday. I know that probably don't mean much to most people but, when I first went to Villa Park in the 80s and we were winning by a goal in the later stages I, used to wish the clock on the Witton lane to hurry on to 20 to 5.

We seem to be spending longer at football games. Do you think officials are adding too long on during a game or,were refs too quick to blow for full time before the implentation of the time added on board?

Offline spangley1812

Re: Time added on
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 11:17:18 AM »
Havnt they extended the half time break ??

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 11:18:03 AM »
Hmmmm, 90 mins plus 15 mins of half time, 15:00hrs Kick Off...

To be fair games tend to kick off a couple of minutes late, and say 1 min added at the end of the 1st half, and 3 at the end of the 2nd,  that's 16:50....

So either games used to last less time or your memory is playing tricks on you...or did half time only last 10 mins?

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 12:16:46 PM »
In the days of yore half time was only 10 mins and I don't think there was any set rule about time added on. I know refs used to gesture at their watch if time wasting was going on but very few if any added several minutes on to a game.

Offline Grande Pablo

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 12:45:08 PM »
I vividly remember in 1993 I'd left VP, walked to the Birchfield Road, boarded a crowded 51 bus to Walsall, queued through the Scott Arms as normal, then just as we crossed the M6 Manure scored that bloody shitty goal where Nigel Worthington stood on the line like a lemon.  Still gets my goat now.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 12:48:26 PM »
In fairness, last season they finally seemed to start adding on the appropriate amount of added time. It used to only be Man United at the Theatre of Vomit who would get 5 minutes, and now everyone is getting about that amount quite regularly which, if you add it up during the game, is probably right.

Offline martyn ellis

• http://www.martin-martyn.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 01:02:20 PM »
Sufficiently long in the tooth to remember, I recall that it was definitely a ten minute half time break in days of yore, added to the fact that any overtime was completely in the head of the ref, there being absolutely no indication of how much he may or may not have added on. Twenty to five was definitely the official end time of games (and they all used to be played on Saturdays and they all kicked off at 3pm, but maybe that's another thread).
Nowadays games can last a good ten minutes longer than that, given the fact that even the 15 minute half time is sometimes slightly extended, and a heft eight minutes or so is quite common to be added on to the actual playing time (2 or 3 minutes at half time is not uncommon, and another four or even five in the second half depending on subs, injuries and timewasting, although I think the last one still needs to be more rigorously punished.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 02:46:44 PM »
They never used to add 30 seconds for each substitution, players never rolled around in agony for ages either.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 02:52:30 PM »
I vividly remember in 1993 I'd left VP, walked to the Birchfield Road, boarded a crowded 51 bus to Walsall, queued through the Scott Arms as normal, then just as we crossed the M6 Manure scored that bloody shitty goal where Nigel Worthington stood on the line like a lemon.  Still gets my goat now.

8 minutes added time.
I also remember the 4.40 final whistle, hear the announcement of the Rags defeat, big cheer followed by the walk back to Tame Road, car radio on and all in good time to hear magical sound of Sports Report.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 03:02:08 PM »
That's the changing face of football you never know when you are leaving.

Offline andyaston

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 03:23:03 PM »
Hmmmm, 90 mins plus 15 mins of half time, 15:00hrs Kick Off...

To be fair games tend to kick off a couple of minutes late, and say 1 min added at the end of the 1st half, and 3 at the end of the 2nd,  that's 16:50....

So either games used to last less time or your memory is playing tricks on you...or did half time only last 10 mins?
Yes I remember the 10 minute half times and players coming back on at 3.55. But, 5 minutes would not account for games finishing as late as many do at present.

I think the refs performances are under the microscope more today and they are adding on more time than they used to.

Offline andyaston

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 03:25:42 PM »
Sufficiently long in the tooth to remember, I recall that it was definitely a ten minute half time break in days of yore, added to the fact that any overtime was completely in the head of the ref, there being absolutely no indication of how much he may or may not have added on. Twenty to five was definitely the official end time of games (and they all used to be played on Saturdays and they all kicked off at 3pm, but maybe that's another thread).
Nowadays games can last a good ten minutes longer than that, given the fact that even the 15 minute half time is sometimes slightly extended, and a heft eight minutes or so is quite common to be added on to the actual playing time (2 or 3 minutes at half time is not uncommon, and another four or even five in the second half depending on subs, injuries and timewasting, although I think the last one still needs to be more rigorously punished.
Yes, thats what I think, refs just used to play it by ear come the 90 minutes. A goal kick and a little passage of play later and that would be full time.

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 03:35:06 PM »
also why is it that there tends to be much more time added on at the end of the second half that at the end of the first half?

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 03:35:47 PM »
I usually find it's 1 minute in the first half and 4 in the second unless your Man U and then its 3 in the first half and 9 in the second unless they are winning of course

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 03:38:10 PM »
also why is it that there tends to be much more time added on at the end of the second half that at the end of the first half?

Its normally 30 seconds per sub and 30 seconds per goal or something similar
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 03:40:10 PM by Phil from the upper holte »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal