collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Kaine Kesler Hayden by OCD
[Today at 12:03:34 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by LeeB
[Today at 12:03:19 PM]

NSWE Investment by Concrete Tom
[Today at 12:03:15 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 12:01:33 PM]

Ollie Watkins by The Edge
[Today at 11:59:39 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 11:54:44 AM]

Reserves and Academy 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 11:53:40 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by cdward
[Today at 11:51:51 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Kaine Kesler Hayden by OCD
[Today at 12:03:34 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by LeeB
[Today at 12:03:19 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Concrete Tom
[Today at 12:03:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 12:01:33 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by OCD
[Today at 12:01:08 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by AV82EC
[Today at 12:00:49 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by The Edge
[Today at 11:59:39 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:59:29 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bent and Given Injuries  (Read 16538 times)

Offline Villanation

Re: Bent and Given Injuries
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
@TVilla. Your missing my point Toronto Villa, Just because Darren Bent as performed for other clubs and in front of other teams doesn't for one second mean he will perform that way in front of a Villa midfield, how many top players can you think of that go to other clubs with sparkling reputations, even World Class to be proved near useless, ever heard of Torres. I am saying that Darren Bent's job just got a lot harder and for all the stat heads out there, you'll be getting a completely different appraisal of the player, assuming he hasn't got p*ssed of with it and stuck himself on the transfer list, which he's well capable of doing.

As for my point about Gabby, he's only ever kicked a ball for Villa and in front of a Villa team (other than U21+ a full cap) how can you compare player for player in terms of there stat's, that is of course unless you are prepared to see Darren Bent stuck out wide left for the next season and then see how his goal tally compares, yes Darren Bent is a more traditional goal poacher front man and thus a more natural goal scorer, doesn't mean for one second other teams won't adapt and deal with him, but to say one player is simply not in the other players league when it comes to goal scoring, when the one player doesn't even play there any more is a nonsense, and if that's the case then I dare say if I'm correct you be back on here at season end if Bent has only notched up 15/16 goals for the season you'll be saying he's not a good striker after all and we need to get someone better.

And for the 1 or 2 paranoid posters I'm not having a pop at Darren Bent, wonderful striker, but how many times do you see deluded footy fans dream up this crazy idea's of what a player is capable of only to see it shot down in flames the next season.

Was actually reading on a Chelsea  thread about Torres, when they paid 50ML for him he was not only better than Messi he was world No1, now they are saying how friggin useless he is and he is a complete waste of money and should have been sold in the summer

You're opinion is irrelevant to me at this point. He scored for us at will last campaign, and was one of the sole reasons we stayed up. I understand you're not slagging him off but what evidence do you have that he's not good enough?! He's a proven striker in the prem, whether you take into account his goal tally in the past 5 years or his promising future with a club he enjoys playing at. You're speaking absolute rubbish mate.

Who's not good enough,

Offline Caiphus

« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2011, 12:41:09 AM »
As a keeper who has had chronic groin injuries, they didn't stop my lateral movement or affect my ability to dive at all; they didn't even affect my ability to Volley the ball out of my hands.  Goal-kicks were a major problem though, I had no strength on the follow through when I had to generate my own pace.

Given should be fine to play.  I wouldn't be surprised if we still see Collins take the occasional goal-kick.

Offline midnite

• GM : 30.03.2016
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2011, 09:28:04 AM »
@VillaNation
Yes but Bent has performed with a midfield at Sunderland which is no better than ours. He has a proven track record. Chelsea are playing a different system from Liverpool which Torres is adjusting to. Even when Gabby is being played as he should be up front he won't score as many goals as Bent. He's not got that natural finish in the same way bent does. And that's not ment as a dig at Gabby. But he doesn't have the same ability from a goal scoring point of view. But what gabby lacks in ability he more than makes up for it in heart and determination. He loves the villa and will put in a performance for you where ever he is on the pitch. Something that Bent probably wouldn't do if he was stuck out on the wing.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2011, 10:55:10 AM »
midnite: Good points well put.

I am not saying Bent is not a natural goalscorer and I'm not saying that Gabby is every bit as good as Bent in that particular role, I'm not going to predict for certain that Bent won't go and beat his season record for his goals tally, what I'm saying is if Bent wasn't playing tomorrow IMHO Gabby would do every bit as good a job in the position that Bent finds himself in for Villa as the lone striker up front, he's proved that for many seasons, actually probably better in that role.

In spite of Bent playing in front of a Sunderland midfield, which according to you is no better than a Villa midfield (or was) he proved it there, so therefore he should do the same here. don't get me wrong when i say this but have you ever played football at a good level, because one thing I do know is, just because something works in one game plan doesn't mean it will work in another.

Personally I think Darren Bent playing in front of the likes of Ashley Young and Stuart Downing would certainly have proved his potency, my point is now his job has got a lot harder, my point is I wouldn't heap loads of pressure on the player as Villa fans do, saying "Oh Bent will definitely get his 20 this season" simply because his track record proves he can do that, only to find he does no better than Carew did or Agbolanhor by the ned of the season, because if he does end up with a goals tally of maybe 14 or 15 goals for the season and Villa fans start moaning I will be the first one to defend him, as I did with the stupid childish comments that Gabby endured when he had no football brain or his first touch was crap or he was over weight, when actually the simple facts are in Gabby's case, you don't lead a Premiership side for 4 seasons upfront mainly on your own ( Carew and Mon never got on) that team achieving 6Th consistently, qualifying for Europe successive Cup finals and Semi Finals if your average at what you do, yes we had Young and Downing but Gabby was just as important part of that picture.

My point about Torres which as been clearly pointed out by the Chelsea manager today is, and by the way proving my point about consistency, there you have a player that in terms of ability and if you believe the hype would eclipse anything Darren Bent has in his locker, fantastic goal scoring machine, what was it in 07/08, probably the best goal scorer in the world, hence the 50ML price tag, the man has now score 1 goal in 21 appearances, believe me that's not just settling into a team, and again I'm not saying he won't all of a sudden come good.

Nothing would please me more than to see Darren Bent scoring 25 goals for Villa this season because that would basically mean we are challenging for a top half of the table spot, think about it, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see him getting nowhere near that at which point you will have to listen to me rabbiting on about it isn't that simple.

Good footy debate though.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2011, 11:32:27 AM »
If Bent is injured and we play Gabby central, he'll give us everything Bent does in terms of general team play, and possibly even more, but he just won't be as clynical infront of goal.  Like that ot not, he's still our best option is Bent is out.

As to his goal tally this season and the effect our departures will have on it, only time will tell.  Looking at N'Zogbia's stats he'd more a scorer than creator, so we may see a greater overall output from him than Downing, but with more goals and less assists on balance.  But Ash was our main man in terms of creativity, so it's his loss we'll feel most.  In order to give bent the best chance of getting to that magical 20 number we'll need one or more of Gabby, Bannan or Albrighton to really make their mark and produce.     

Offline midnite

« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2011, 12:12:04 PM »
Villanation, I completely agree with you dude. I think I miss interpreted what you were getting at, at first.

I'd like to think I've played football at a good level but the reality of it is, have I bollocks  ;-)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 12:24:46 PM by midnite »

Offline Villanation

« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2011, 01:18:43 PM »
midnite & J M'Zog.

Absolutely and time will tell, but at least we got a decent full on footy debate going without any personal swipes which lets face it, its what a Forum like this is all about surely, more importantly we are singing from the same hymn sheet for tomorrows game.

Lets hope its a cracker.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 01:26:37 PM by Villanation »

Offline Caiphus

« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2011, 01:33:25 PM »
If Bent is injured and we play Gabby central, he'll give us everything Bent does in terms of general team play, and possibly even more, but he just won't be as clynical infront of goal.  Like that ot not, he's still our best option is Bent is out.

As to his goal tally this season and the effect our departures will have on it, only time will tell.  Looking at N'Zogbia's stats he'd more a scorer than creator, so we may see a greater overall output from him than Downing, but with more goals and less assists on balance.  But Ash was our main man in terms of creativity, so it's his loss we'll feel most.  In order to give bent the best chance of getting to that magical 20 number we'll need one or more of Gabby, Bannan or Albrighton to really make their mark and produce.     

Before last season Gabby was responsible for around 7-8 assists per season as well as his goals, so if he is back on form I expect that he will still put some balls on for Bent.

Offline midnite

« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2011, 02:49:39 PM »
midnite & J M'Zog.

Absolutely and time will tell, but at least we got a decent full on footy debate going without any personal swipes which lets face it, its what a Forum like this is all about surely, more importantly we are singing from the same hymn sheet for tomorrows game.

Lets hope its a cracker.

Yeah this is all far too mature!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal