collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ash Really Is As Good As Messi.....Now He's With United  (Read 8664 times)

Offline kippaxvilla2

Ash Really Is As Good As Messi.....Now He's With United
« on: September 04, 2011, 12:17:31 PM »
With added MO'N for true piss boiling.

FOOTBALLASHLEY YOUNG'S AS GOOD AS MESSI AND RONALDO 

Ashley Young’s £17million move to Manchester United has given the England winger a bigger stage
Sunday September 4,2011
By Dave Harrison  Have your say(0)
IT was dismissed as premature hype when Martin O’Neill hailed Ashley Young as a “genius” and “world class” after a match-winning display for Aston Villa against Everton at Goodison Park.

And when the then Villa boss went on to compare Young with Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi, the reaction switched from wide-eyed astonishment to hysterical laughter.

Three years on and O’Neill’s assessment is not looking so exaggerated.

Young’s £17million move to Manchester United has given the England winger a bigger stage to display the gifts O’Neill recognised when he took him to Villa from Watford as a raw 22-year-old.

He has had an immediate impact, seizing the moment to convince any doubters of his talent with moments of individual brilliance – like the clever cross that set up England’s third goal for Wayne Rooney in Sofia on Friday night – as well as proving he can become an integral player in Sir Alex Ferguson’s new-look squad.

Young, 26, possesses the skills which will always set him apart from football journeymen. But he should not be dismissed as a bag of tricks with no substance.

Ashley Young’s £17million move to Manchester United has given the England winger a bigger stage 

There is a fierce ambition to make it to the very highest level which stems from an early rejection from the Watford Academy.

He fought back and earned a pro contract at Vicarage Road. Every career step since has been taken with a refusal to ever again be dismissed as a no-hoper. Young grew up playing football alongside Formula One star Lewis Hamilton.

They were in the same year at the John Henry Newman School in Stevenage, and though they eventually went their different sporting ways, they shared the same vision for stardom.

The United player has now moved into the fast lane but the warning hazards ahead of him should not be ignored, according to someone who made the same journey from Villa Park to Old Trafford.

SEARCH FOOTBALL for:     

Dwight Yorke did it in sensational style, completing the treble of Premier League title, FA Cup and Champions League in his first season at United. Yorke warns Young that the challenges ahead of him will test his mentality as well as his football ability.

Yorke said: “It’s the ultimate in football. When you go to United you are playing Champions League football all the time, that is what it is all about.

“I can understand why Ashley has gone there, but he must realise there will be expectations like nothing he has ever known before.”

Young will be under the microscope at Old Trafford and any indiscretions will incur the wrath of Fergie.

The new United man has attracted attention in the past – once for exposing himself on an internet webcam while on England duty and more recently when he cancelled his wedding in mysterious circumstances.

Yorke knows to his own cost that Ferguson does not tolerate that kind of publicity.

“You are scrutinised at United,” said Yorke. “He is going to have to fight for his place. He has been given a shot at success and he has to make sure he does everything he can to be a winner.”

And if Young does, a certain Ulsterman will be quite entitled to say: “I told you so.”

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
Re: Ash Really Is As Good As Messi.....Now He's With United
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 12:20:27 PM »
i read this earlier today, and it made me urge...

typical media arselicking one of the sky four nonsense, and if it wasnt for my job at the moment, i would be calling sky to cancel my subscription...

almost time to divorce football, for she is a gold digging cheating whore...

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 12:59:39 PM »
FFS let's not discuss this s*it any more.

Online German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 01:55:20 PM »
FFS let's not discuss this s*it any more.

Seconded. Fucking nonsense.

Offline The Villa Werewolf

• GM : 13.07.2015
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 02:26:03 PM »
I don't see anything in that article to disagree with.

Offline markeeeebeeee2005

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 02:36:06 PM »
The media will turn Martin into Alan Partridge, suggesting all his sentences must end wit 'needless to say I had the last laugh.'

If he was that good he would have a decent job by now.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 02:44:45 PM »
The media will turn Martin into Alan Partridge, suggesting all his sentences must end wit 'needless to say I had the last laugh.'

If he was that good he would have a decent job by now.

Ill bet he is at Sunderland (debatable if its a decent job) by October.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 03:35:50 PM »
Somebody said to me today that Ashley Young looks a good player now he's moved.  I politely pointed out that he has been a good player for a few years now !

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 05:10:03 PM »
As good as Messi my arse!

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 05:17:21 PM »
If Ashley Young is good as Lionel Messi then I am good as Paul McGrath in defending.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 05:58:02 PM »
If Ashley Young is good as Lionel Messi then I am good as Paul McGrath in defending.

I'm as good as Paul McGrath at drinking.  No strike that.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 07:35:04 PM »
Ever grateful for the many magical moments when Ash was at Villa, but this statement, utter garbage springs to mind, Ash is no doubt having his day in the sun at this moment, but he is only at least as good as SWP was in his early days and many others before and after, in other words he is a good player, that's it, to compare Young with Messi or Ronaldo the bloke is clearly on some kind of drug that is having a massive side effect on him.

Ash will have this good season with Man Utd and then become one of the rest of there squad in terms of making up the numbers.

Offline markeeeebeeee2005

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 07:55:12 PM »
I don't think he will become an also ran. I obviously don't know, but I think he has the mentality to succeed and the skill to back it up. Him and Rooney look the business.

Who knows if he will become world class, but for once I genuinely hope he does. Always gave everything for Villa, when he was in form and when he was out of form.

Online nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 08:13:43 PM »
Ever grateful for the many magical moments when Ash was at Villa, but this statement, utter garbage springs to mind, Ash is no doubt having his day in the sun at this moment, but he is only at least as good as SWP was in his early days and many others before and after, in other words he is a good player, that's it, to compare Young with Messi or Ronaldo the bloke is clearly on some kind of drug that is having a
massive side effect on him.

Ash will have this good season with Man Utd and then become one of the rest of there
 squad in terms of making up the numbers.

He's better than you suggest and I think he will be a cornerstone of Man U's season. Let's face it, he is playing with better players further up the pitch and will therefore show his quality more often.

For what it's worth, I think he'll do the same for England.

He deserves it. He always gave 100 per cent for us and his tendency to go down too easily often masked what a brilliant performer he was most weeks.

Like Dwight before him, he'd outgrown us and because of his higher profile, people are taking notice as to just how good he is.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 08:28:44 PM »
Well, as mentioned before over the years we have seen many many of these so called super stars hyped up way above there capacity, and as much as I wish him well at Utd it takes a huge amount more than he as in his locker to become a legend at the theatre of dreams which is what this bloke is suggesting, ask Berbatov, excellent goal ratio last season, can't get in the side,
Ruud Van Nistleroy, Joe Cole was going to be the next world legend at Chelsea, I remember Clive Tildesley commenting on a Man City game and describing SWP as the next Pele, only last season one of them was describing Gareth Bale as the next Messiah in football, and Harry Redknapp agreeing.

When Ash has been there 3 or 4 seasons doing it game in game out, then by all means bump this forward and i'll be the first to mark it up as got that one wrong, even so in no way does he compare with Messi or Ronaldo, if for nothing else he's to old to start comparing at that level, how old is Messi, in Ash's dreams is the only way he will every get at that level.

Just to add to this and as a reasonable example of how this journo is talking through his bum, messi is 24, he's been at a World level for over 4 seasons, that's a massive amount of experience, Cristiano Ronaldo is 26, feels like he's been around for 20 years, but he also as been at World level for over 6 seasons, Ash is 26/27 unless he is exceptional as in Ryan Giggs then he's already fast approaching his peak, maybe already there, and his career at the top spans Aston Villa, worlds apart.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 08:39:47 PM by Villanation »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal