collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alan Hutton yesterday  (Read 19745 times)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: Alan Hutton yesterday
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 05:54:39 PM »
Heskey shouldn't be in the starting XI ahead of Ireland or Bannan anyway.

Signing Hutton doesn't impact on that at all.

He should certainly be in ahead of Ireland, why do people keep holding this torch for him when he's done nothing to justify it?
Habib Beye has done nothing to justify any adulation, I would still prefer him at right-back over Heskey.

The reason Ireland should play attacking midfield over Heskey is that he is an attacking midfielder.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 06:06:31 PM »

He should certainly be in ahead of Ireland, why do people keep holding this torch for him when he's done nothing to justify it?
Habib Beye has done nothing to justify any adulation, I would still prefer him at right-back over Heskey.

The reason Ireland should play attacking midfield over Heskey is that he is an attacking midfielder.

Ah, the old players can only play in one position argument. Let's kick Gabby out too while we're at it.

Online Dave

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2011, 06:08:55 PM »

Ah, the old players can only play in one position argument. Let's kick Gabby out too while we're at it.

I don't think that players can only play in one position. I think Gabby's doing a smashing job on the wing.

Heskey isn't doing a smashing job in attacking midfield therefore he shouldn't be there.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2011, 06:09:27 PM »
Hutton did very well but did nothing that Luke Young wouldn't have.  Overall he is a good replacement.

It seems pretty clear that the changes in the squad are less about bringing better players in and more about bringing cheaper (ie on lower wages) players in.  Spurs have historically been very good at keeping their wages down - a lower wage bill than us despite being in the Champions League last year - so it's no surprise we're shopping there for replacements.

Hutton may be no better than Young but I bet his wages are less.

He's also 6 years younger. Luke wasn't forced out, he wanted to go and he isn't good enough to try to force him not to.

Have you got the figures to hand to back up your assertion that last season Spurs had a lower wage bill than us?

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2011, 06:13:10 PM »

I don't think that players can only play in one position. I think Gabby's doing a smashing job on the wing.

Heskey isn't doing a smashing job in attacking midfield therefore he shouldn't be there.

So perhaps we should sign somebody to play there instead of him.

Ireland is a flake, he needs to prove that he can be trusted to play there before he's allowed to start league games.

Online Dave

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2011, 06:15:49 PM »

So perhaps we should sign somebody to play there instead of him.
Or we could just play Bannan there instead if we can't afford to sign someone to play the position properly.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2011, 06:22:55 PM »
As I said earlier the example of Marc Albrighton shows the danger of expecting too much, too young. I think Bannan is a cracking player and have very high hopes for him but he needs to be able to develop without undue pressure on him. I hope and expect him to get plenty of time on the pitch this season but this time next year I don't want us to be talking about him in the terms that Marc is now.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2011, 07:48:24 PM »
Can I add to the Hutton/Young debate by saying I thought it refreshing to see Chris Herd willing to go to the byline and at least press forward from right back, something Luke wasn't capable of.

Hopefully Hutton can give us something more in that sense.

I also think Irish Phil makes a good point on the extra height not just Hutton, but also Jenas will give us when defending. It might not be what people want to hear regarding Heskey defending, but when you have a relatively small side at this level, shipping set pieces can undue any good work you do in the rest of game, and the number of corners and free kicks Heskey nods away is substantial.

Hopefully this can now be resolved, and Bannan could be the one to profit. I hope he is, anyway, because he's a bloody star.

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
As I said earlier the example of Marc Albrighton shows the danger of expecting too much, too young. I think Bannan is a cracking player and have very high hopes for him but he needs to be able to develop without undue pressure on him. I hope and expect him to get plenty of time on the pitch this season but this time next year I don't want us to be talking about him in the terms that Marc is now.

This emphasis on our young players at Villa started under Doug. It seemed a easy get out clause to say we had lots of potential coming through the ranks, rather than splashing the cash. This I think has sank into the psyche of the club and fans, that we have a wealth of superstars in the making.

Who have we produced in say the last 10 years who has actually set the world alight or been ultra consistent so they have stayed in the first team for several seasons?

We put so much store in them, that as soon as Albrighton and Bannon etc touch the ball, we expect miracles.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2011, 07:54:49 PM »

« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 07:59:58 PM by Villanation »

Offline Villanation

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2011, 07:58:50 PM »

Strange that, the games I've been to I've seen Gabby playing as the lone striker, joint striker, left wing, right wing, getting back into midfield area's and doing some great defending such as the goal line clearance he did v the noses and Ridgewell's header, then going all the way up the other end and scoring the winner for us within seconds.

In fact I'm trying to think of another player at Villa with that kind of dexterity to his game.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2011, 12:06:47 AM »
Hutton did very well but did nothing that Luke Young wouldn't have.  Overall he is a good replacement.

It seems pretty clear that the changes in the squad are less about bringing better players in and more about bringing cheaper (ie on lower wages) players in.  Spurs have historically been very good at keeping their wages down - a lower wage bill than us despite being in the Champions League last year - so it's no surprise we're shopping there for replacements.

Hutton may be no better than Young but I bet his wages are less.

He's also 6 years younger. Luke wasn't forced out, he wanted to go and he isn't good enough to try to force him not to.

Have you got the figures to hand to back up your assertion that last season Spurs had a lower wage bill than us?

Not an assertion - fact.

Villa wages 2009/10 - £80m

Spurs wages 2009/10 - £67m

Details here - http://www.talksport.co.uk/magazine/features/2011-06-10/premier-league-football-clubs-wage-totals-revealed-where-does-your-club-rank?p=13

And as for Luke not being forced out - this is at least the 2nd bid we've accepted for him.  We tried to sell him to Liverpool but they wouldn't pay him the same wages we did so he turned them down.

It's not a dig at Luke Young - I think he's a good, solid player, but the strategy of shifting MON's signings who were all bought in on silly contracts is pretty obvious now and it's taking priority over improving the squad.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2011, 12:26:10 AM »
Am I the only one that thinks Heskey's played well this season? Ok against Fulham, very good against Blackburn and pretty good against Wolves before tiring... he should've been taken off then.

He's not really playing attacking midfielder he is putting himself about all over the place which is why he was tired, understandable considering his age. He should certainly be in well ahead of Ireland. If Ireland plays well against Bolton in the League Cup and in the reserves give him a chance... but let him earn it. Don't just pick him on the basis he was good for a different team five years ago. Beye should be in and Pires should be re-signed on that basis.

If Heskey is dropped, and I don't think he will be just yet, Bannan should be the replacement.

Offline KRS

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2011, 02:26:02 AM »
The problem with Heskey isnt with what he does, the problem is what he doesnt or cant do. His hold up play, small passes, flick ons and defensive headers are all well and good but when combined with his falling over and missed goal scoring oppprtunities, his limited playing style actually stifles creativity and slows down our attacking moves. He cant cross, cant beat a man, cant pick a pass and cant shoot...replace him with someone who can do all of those including the things that he can do then we should be a greater threat going forward. When the argument and justification for him playing is largely based on "he's useful at defending set pieces and corners" then thats taking clutching at straws and positive spin to the next level.

I agree however that he has done ok in the games so far but other than Bannan there hasnt been many options considering Ireland hasnt come close to justifying a first team place yet let alone his ridiculous salary. Hopefully JJ will prove to be a good signing, do the job Heskey does plus more, and improve both our creativity and attacking threat.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 02:32:21 AM by KRS »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Heskey
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2011, 02:30:27 AM »
Not when we have a dreadful record of defending set pieces against our next opponents.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal