collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sick of Sky 'Experts' trashing Villa!  (Read 17533 times)

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
Re: Sick of Sky 'Experts' trashing Villa!
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2011, 06:24:21 PM »
The media don't hate us, they just need us slightly less than they used to.   They need us to occasionally give 'the big boys' a game worth watching.

We are a team with a big ground and lots of fans (like Newcastle, Sunderland) and a rich history outside of the sky era (like Spurs and Everton) but have absolutely no chance of winning the league we play in.  Somebody earlier rightly mentioned the late 80 ad and early 90's.  We may as well talk about the 1880/90's.  The game has changed and clubs like ours now have nowhere to go - midtable, slightly more attractive cannon fodder.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2011, 06:35:36 PM »
The media never used to care about us enough to hate us. Since O'Neill left his acolytes in the press have ensured the most negative, biased reporting of Villa I can remember.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2011, 06:36:30 PM »
It's easy to think of the 80's like it was last year and the memories of greatest hours seem so vivid. But it was 30 years ago. That's a long bloody time and so much has happened in and to the game since then. An entire generation has grown up not having the foggiest of the club we were. They just know what we are. The pundits all know we are big club, but when big clubs fall they are also easy targets. Look at how easy Arsenal are making it for everyone right now. In the grand scheme of things, outside of our immediate supporter base, we're quite irrelevant and until such time as we can get our act together again, we'll always be looked down upon by the pundits because they are paid talk about the popular and successful clubs as much as possible.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2011, 07:48:01 PM »
It's easy to think of the 80's like it was last year and the memories of greatest hours seem so vivid. But it was 30 years ago. That's a long bloody time and so much has happened in and to the game since then. An entire generation has grown up not having the foggiest of the club we were. They just know what we are. The pundits all know we are big club, but when big clubs fall they are also easy targets. Look at how easy Arsenal are making it for everyone right now. In the grand scheme of things, outside of our immediate supporter base, we're quite irrelevant and until such time as we can get our act together again, we'll always be looked down upon by the pundits because they are paid talk about the popular and successful clubs as much as possible.

Talking to an old pensioner the other day and he was saying how fast times goes now, and yet he said people refer to the 80's and 90's as if it was last year, he said if you had gone back to the 80's or 90's and refereed to the 40's 50's and 60's people would have looked at you like you where daft and as if you where talking about a bygone age of Roman Britain or something, point he was making was you would have lost people in the conversation because 30 years ago was land that time forgot, and he said do you realise how many people have been born, lived and died in that time.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2011, 09:04:42 AM »
I feel it started in early 80's  - mainly when the media darlings of the era, the wonderful footballing side of Ipswich Town were robbed of the league by the workmanlike Villa. We then went on to beat Bayern and although we obviously got plaudits they would have much preferred a glamour club to have won it - especially as our run to the final was marred by Violence at Anderlecht.

It used to really wrangle with me but it just washes over me now as i am watching less and less sky every year - in fact i am struggling to justify having it TBH - i watch more golf than football

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2011, 09:16:46 AM »
Don't really give a toss about England.

I deliberately have watched or read anything football related over the weekend as I know it would be "England now ready to win Euros"

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2011, 10:06:53 AM »
Wait until tomorrow night when Clive Tyldesley sprays sticky white love piss over his microphone if Ashley Young scores against Wales.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Sky
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2011, 12:38:43 PM »
Sky have plenty of faults but their coverage is a million times better than listening to Clive fucking Tyldesley. Wonder if he will keep banging on about "That Magnificent Night in London" after Man U got stuffed by Barca last year. Somehow I doubt it.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2011, 01:17:54 PM »
The only truley anti-Villa media out there is BBC WM.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2011, 04:54:52 PM »

I think Franks is fairly accurate of our "plight" so to speak

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2011, 05:07:04 PM »

I think Franks is fairly accurate of our "plight" so to speak

He's a dj who says whatever is likely to get people to call in. He might be a nice bloke but I'd trust my nan before him about football and she's got Alzheimer's.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal