collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steven Davis ???!!!!!!  (Read 12263 times)

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
Steven Davis ???!!!!!!
« on: September 02, 2011, 11:10:01 AM »
According to the BBC, McLeish was interested in signing Steven Davis from Rangers......
 >:(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/14754454.stm?

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
Re: Steven Davis ???!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 11:13:53 AM »
MatT Kendrick was tweeting that we'll go back in for him in January.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 11:41:42 AM »
I hope not. Wasn't PL standard the first time we had him, average at best with Fulham, found his level in the SPL.  Hitzlsperger would have been a better target and he's not good enough either.  If wages are limited I'd rather not waste any on Davis.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 11:55:42 AM »
I hope not. Wasn't PL standard the first time we had him, average at best with Fulham, found his level in the SPL.  Hitzlsperger would have been a better target and he's not good enough either.  If wages are limited I'd rather not waste any on Davis.
Agreed   another player we thought would be a world beater as he stood out in a shit team - not good enough i am afraid

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 12:04:09 PM »
I don't watch Scottish football so don't now how he has progressed but to judge his suitability by the player that he was 5 years ago seems bizarre.

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 12:51:47 PM »
Some harsh comments - I always thought he had promise when he played for us was just played out of position and wasn't given an extended run in the side to show his best form. From what I've seen recently he's moved up a gear, central to every Rangers attack and too good to rot in the SPL. A ready made replacement for Stan I'd say.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 01:22:42 PM »
Fuck me playing in the SPL is hardly La Liga is it?

More like division 1

Kris Boyd was the SPL's record ever scorer and he couldn't cut it a Boro

Chris Commons was largely shit at Derby and now he is a world beater for Celtic.

Offline SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 01:27:23 PM »
No - just no.  Not good enough first time round and nothing to suggest he's good enough now.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 01:28:07 PM »
Agreed   another player we thought would be a world beater as he stood out in a shit team - not good enough i am afraid

I honestly don't think he even stood out that much in that shit team of O'Leary's.  Yes I know he was voted player of the year but he had little to beat and he never looked the part to me.   Like Whittingham, some decent touches here and there but never saw anything in him that convinced me he was PL class, and haven't seen anything since to change that opinion, certainly not in his time with Fulham.  Neither have any PL managers until AM (allegedly) and let's face it he's a bit desperate.  Players like Gardner and Cahill went on to prove they are PL level, Davis didn't.  Not sure where he is supposed to have suddenly found PL standard ability in the last 5 years but I doubt the SPL would have brought him up to scratch if he didn't have it the first place at the age of what 22?.  The only attraction would have to be low wages.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 02:46:53 PM »
Fuck me playing in the SPL is hardly La Liga is it?

More like division 1

Kris Boyd was the SPL's record ever scorer and he couldn't cut it a Boro

Chris Commons was largely shit at Derby and now he is a world beater for Celtic.

Nail.

On.

Head.

How many players have successfully made the transition from the SPL to the EPL?  The latest was that Goodwillie who Blackburn signed and was at our place the other week - he banged the goals in up there and having seen him play against us I reckon I've met better strikers on a Sunday morning.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 02:47:29 PM »
Not for me.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 03:04:03 PM »
I'm glad the general concensus is that he is simply not the sort of player we need, or even anywhere near.
He wasn't that good first time around in my opinion, he largely failed at Fulham and maybe he is Rangers star player, but that hardly says much, does it ?
I must say I am totally underwhelmed by McLeish's transfers so far, and his reported targets.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 03:08:52 PM »
I can't help thinking McLeish is setting us up to be the football version of Taroni's!

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 03:14:29 PM »
Get the Moore brothers back as well. Desperation.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 03:38:32 PM »
If you want to get people flooding back to VP this isnt the signing to do it

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal